to love everyday, physically, and

emotionally.  It's difficult, it's not

always laughs, smiles, and fun.  People

tend to quit when it stops being fun,

and they go look for someone else,

because  "the spark is gone."  No,

that's not how it works.  You want

somebody to never give up on you, and

love you unconditionally, then do the same.

Be the change.  This isn't Hollywood, this

isn't the  movies.  That stuff isn't real.

Love someone when you don't want to,

when they aren't the easiest to deal with.

When they're hard to love.  That's the

realist stuff there is.

Relationship Rules

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

Re: READ IT AND LET IT SINK IN

Amen! That was powerful! Well said! Etc...Etc...Etc...

~~~ All we need is love Heart

Regular Contributor

This is beautiful. And so true.. Thank you for posting this.

Esteemed Contributor

Very well said!!  I’ve been with DH for over 40 years. We are closer now than we’ve ever been.That’s because we put in the “work”.It’s been the most rewarding experience of my life.

“ I love you more today than yesterday.But not as much as tomorrow “.

Honored Contributor

I have been married to the same man for 55 years..I couldn't say what will work for everyone, because, everyone faces different issues ,with different people

I only know what works for us. I don't think one  set of rules will work for everyone. There are just too many variables ,when dealing with human beings

Honored Contributor

Yes, yes, yes!

It is so easy to love someone when it's new, fresh, exciting, and everything is going perfectly.  

I love the line that says --- "Love someone when you don't want to, when they aren't the easiest to deal with, when they're hard to love."  That says it all --- that's the real test!  Staying together through the hard times!!!!!  

I don't think a lot of people get that.  For love to be truly meaninful and deep, it has to withstand all these not so pretty moments and all these diffiult times when you might think --- why, why am I doing this?  

I think a person needs love the most when they are at their most unlovable!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I've been married for almost 44 years. I sometimes tell younger women who complain that "the romance is gone" that, for me, romance isn't candlelight dinners and flowers anymore (though those are very nice sometimes). These days romance is when DH cleans up the kitty barf, because he knows it makes me gag! Heart

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandma ...Okay...Okay....I read it and I can guarantee you that the "realist stuff" of it all has been "sinking in" for quite a while now!..There, are you happy!...LOLOL

I love your postings! Woman Very Happy

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have been with my husband since 1973 (married in 75') and I can honestly say that I have never been "bored." So I disagree with the first sentence "Every relationship will get "boring" after you have been together for years.

We have weathered a lot of storms together but have grown closer over the years. I think it may be because we both like each other as well as love each other. Humor played a big role in our relationship...right from the beginning. Disagree again about "the spark is gone" in long term relationships. If you start out really loving this person, you can always find something about them that will keep that "spark." However, it takes two so it has to be a mutual kind of thing...

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I have been with my husband since 1973 (married in 75') and I can honestly say that I have never been "bored." So I disagree with the first sentence "Every relationship will get "boring" after you have been together for years.

We have weathered a lot of storms together but have grown closer over the years. I think it may be because we both like each other as well as love each other. Humor played a big role in our relationship...right from the beginning. Disagree again about "the spark is gone" in long term relationships. If you start out really loving this person, you can always find something about them that will keep that "spark." However, it takes two so it has to be a mutual kind of thing...

Same for us since 1978.