Honored Contributor

Re: RE: Too Many Prepared Foods on QVC

@De Anna wrote:

Totally agree with you. I saw a cake today. 3-19-17 ITKWD by Juniors, over $50. REALLY! Don't get me wrong, it looked fabulous. I really have to do the math when it comes to the food. 

Ha! I bet we were looking at the same cake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

I don't know where others live, but in my town 4" circumference cakes (that's like two bites of cake) can cost over $20 in bakeries or in the specialty sections of supermarkets. Prepared cakes are just expensive, especially cheesecakes.

Honored Contributor

croemer wrote:

Dee Dee C wrote:

Totally agree with you. I saw a cake today. 3-19-17 ITKWD by Juniors, over $50. REALLY! Don't get me wrong, it looked fabulous. I really have to do the math when it comes to the food. 

Ha! I bet we were looking at the same cake.

Don't do it!    Here's the thing - I've purchased numerous Junior's products over the years and they've universally been very good.

This particular cake, however, was a profound disappointment to me.  I love love love lemon and coconut and their old (not on QVC anymore but still on Junior's website last I saw) lemon coconut cheesecake one is good.

I don't know where they went wrong on this cake, unless I just got a bad one, but it was very not good.  I ended up throwing most of it away and I'm hard-pressed to throw food away, as I hate waste.

Just an FYI.  I wrote a review but don't know if it was posted or not, as I had long forgotten about it.  This was some time last year.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt, I had my fingers on the phone for that lemon/coconut cake. As I recall, the reviews were excellent. The price did stop me, though. Sorry you got a lemon (hehe).

Honored Contributor

SaRina wrote:

@chickenbutt, I had my fingers on the phone for that lemon/coconut cake. As I recall, the reviews were excellent. The price did stop me, though. Sorry you got a lemon (hehe).

Hahaha!  I was going to say that.  I had even begun to type the word and I backed off.  I figured 'nah, too on the nose'.  But you pulled it off!  Smiley Happy

I was really sad about the one I got, anyway.   Not many things beat lemon and coconut for me!  Plus, having purchased their lemon coconut cheesecake version a few times over the years, I expected the best.  

Maybe others got a good one and I would be glad for that!  Smiley Happy   

Respected Contributor

It's not a disturbing trend, it's actually a heartening trend. Why? Because it suggests our economy is getting more robust, if people are prepared to pay several times what comparable items would cost at the supermarket or even a restaurant.

Note that I didn't say "cook it themselves." Many people today, younger and gainfully employed, find their most precious resource is time. Cooking takes time. If you've been cooking for years and have your prep and execution down, and especially if you enjoy cooking, you might not realize what a time sink it really is. Planning the menu or dish, selecting recipes, procuring the ingredients, washing and slicing and dicing, and then all the stove work--many people are just not up for that, or simply don't know how.

I read the results of a study done several years ago that found that the most expensive way to use your discretionary time, if you were employed, was cooking. Even cleaning wasn't as big a waste of time as cooking, since it's something you have to do constantly unless you eat out.

Someone else pointed out that you  can buy only so many gizmos, and she's right. Selling prepared foods is a very smart move for their bottom line. I can see why it would bother devoted and experienced home cooks, but QVC has to move with the times.

Honored Contributor

@croemer

oh thank you for your comical post!!!!! Today I needed a good laugh and I'm glad I decided to head over to the forums & found that!!!!

thanks awesome!!!!!

Respected Contributor

I agree with most of this thread but not the millennial characterization.

I am so tired of it. 

The millennial's I know cook whole foods and are active even thought they work and have children. They do not exist primarily on prepared foods.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@ShowMe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@ShowMe

Thank you! That is one of my kitties, my youngest--she's a sweetheart so very gentle ...a bit talkative...Heart

Well, she's a real cutie pie.  Like it when a cat is talkative......that tells you something about their personality.  Mr Mr. Lucky is very talkative.  He can be in another room and will start his talking to me.  Then eventually he will be sitting front me with the look of like "didn't you hear me talking to you?"

@ShowMe

Yep, she is especially talkative and fussin at me to get to bed when it's past our usual bedtime and I'm still up watching a movie or something......Cat LOL   Your right the talking just adds to their personality and interaction which makes the relationship special....Cat Very Happy

Well your Mr. Lucky sounds like a special kitty and he wants to make sure he's heard....don't you wish we could understand what they are saying....but then again--- maybe not...Cat LOLCat Wink  So what kind of cat is your Mr. Lucky?  Give him a hug for me....

Tee hee @Spurt when I had my Chloe you could set a watch to when the glare would start if we weren't heading upstairs . . . Heart

@momtochloe

I guess you could say they are indeed creatures of habit that keep a STRICT schedule---LOL!!!  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

You seem to be confusing Qvc with The Food Network.  Qvc is retailer, it's not an entertainment channel.  It makes perfect sense that they would showcase food on their cooking shows because most people who cook do eat food.  Showing food on handbag and jewelry shows wouldn't make much sense.  Price is relative, what you consider to be overpriced, is cheap to someone else.  Watching Qvc is a choice, if something isn't working for you, don't watch. 

@chrystaltree

First of all what does wanting non-food items to be presented and sold on a Kitchen Show have anything to do with the Food Network.....afterall the only shows the Food Network shows these days are Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives and the What's My Line type shows where you guess whether someone is a real chef or not or real baker or not......does this mean David & Mary will be taking their show on the road and taste food at different restaurants same as Guy Fieri.???????....David/Mary going to the food instead of the food coming to them....well. at least that would be something different in the programming that many have been wanting .....bring it on....Woman Very Happy..

And don't put anything past QVC they had David present a vacuum during ITKWD so who is to say that handbags and jewelry won't be far behind... Woman Wink

BTW QVC's CEO, Mike George DOES consider QVC an entertainment channel (although QVC's programming is definitely NOT entertainment to me.....)

George said. At QVC, the goal is to bring the inspiration and entertainment found on its television network over to its digital properties. T

http://www.mytotalretail.com/article/inside-look-qvcs-transformation-digital-retailer/

"As the world leader in video and eCommerce retail, QVC is dedicated to reimagining shopping, entertainment and community as one," said Mike George, QVC President and CEO. "

http://ir.libertyinteractive.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=927853

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”