Honored Contributor

Re: RE: Terminal Illness - Would you want to hear the truth from your doctor?

@wilma wrote:

I want to know anything and everything about my medical condition. I have been chronically ill and have had serious illnesses in the past. My doctors always told me the truth about possible treatments, surgeries, and the odds of success. I wouldn't want it any other way. There were a few times when the doctors gave me some pretty lousy odds on making it through, but I am still here at age 50+. After several years of good health, I have been diagnosed with a blood disease. I am undergoing treatments that may or may not help me. My doctor has been open and honest with me about everything. That's what I want. 

Wilma.....I feel the same way you do.  I am so thankful for the doctors that I have.  I have been battling metastatic melanoma for 1 1/2 years now.  The doctors that take care of me have been open and honest with me throughout this whole ordeal.  Have been having immune treatments (form of chemo) and they are tough to go through.  Get a treatment every other week.....and now it is taking almost the whole 2 weeks before the next treatment that I am feeling somewhat normal......then it's time for the treatment again.

They have told me I will have to have these treatments for at least another year or more.  Have a wonderful oncologist that was recommended to me by my primary doctor (internist) when he told me about the cancer.  I think the world of my primary doctor and trust him with my life.......

I would have to be pretty dumb if I didn't know what I am being treated for.....  I am taking it a day at a time....as these treatments are very hard on me. 

My oncologist is well aware of the side affects I have....and knows that sometimes I really feel lousy.  He has been honest with me about telling me that there is nothing out there for me if I were to be taken off the Opdivo.....Keytruda is the same thing, only a different pharmaceutical company makes them. 

My life is in the hands of God and my doctors.....and I have accepted that.  I also thank God daily for all the friends I have that support me.....and for those on these boards that have been there for me throughout this whole ordeal.

Honored Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

@Trinity11  I understand that you are still in shock from what happened.  HOWEVER, you aren't taking into account modern technology, medications, and rehab and how much that could raise your ejection fraction.  Look at the other poster on here giving info about her brother, who was much worse off and now has improved quite a bit.

You still need to process what happened, but don't give up.  I wonder whether you should write on placards "Don't give up" or other external directions to yourself to get you through this.  Just looking at these around your house would motivate you to move forward and follow doctor's orders with hope for the future.  I apologize if I am badgering you, but it is entirely possible that over time you will see that much more can be done for you under doctor's orders.  Don't assume the worst this early in the game.

Ah, thanks so very much. I really appreciate your kind words.

Honored Contributor

Wilma......here's hoping the treatments for the blood problem will do what it's supposed to do.  Will say a prayer for you tonight.......

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I see not wanting to know the truth about your health, like not going to get a physical exam every year because you do not want to find anything wrong....  Or not having an important test done to rule out something.  Hiding your head in the sand Does you no good.

Can you imagine how hard it would be on your husband to keep such a secret from you? That would be cruel. No one wants to die....but, knowing the truth at least would allow you to tie up ends....make amends and do good things in the time you had left.

I'm in my mid fifties and between family members and friends who have passed on, I can say that there are some who were not strong enough mentally to handle knowing that they were dying. Smiley Sad

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11  So sorry to hear what you are going through.  I know it's hard but stay strong,  wishing you all the best.

Esteemed Contributor

@scotnovel wrote:

I definitely want to know the truth.  Otherwise how can I make an intelligent decision about my own care.

My father was told he had a 50 50 chance of the chemo working so he decided to have the treatments.  After 18 months of treatments, including radiation, which included only about 3 or 4 months of quality of life time, he was told nothing else could be done.  At that time the same doctor who had told him he had a 50 50 chance said he really thought there was only about a 10% chance of him being helped but he didn't want to tell my Dad that because he didn't want to discourage him.  My Dad's was angry because he said ne never would have had the treatments, and gone through all the extra suffering, if he had known what the doctor really thought about the potential benefit of treatment.  He would have died sooner, but his quality of life wouldn't have been any worse and would likely have been better, and there would have been much less stress and strain on my mother and their finances.

What happens to me healthwise is MY decision to make based on the best available knowledge.  It is NOT up to a doctor to choose for me based on his or hers personal beliefs or professional knowledge. 

@scotnovel

That is it in a nutshell!  

I agree with you (and your Dad).

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

My doctor pulled no punches. I had a heart attack ten days ago. There was a delay to the Cath lab until Monday where I was transported to a major hospital had 3 stents and a balloon. I am now in heart failure/congestive heart failure all because of the delay. I was put on aspirin, drugs and morphine but time is muscle and the damage was already done by the time I got to the other hospital and got the procedure.

I went from an active woman loving life to someone that can't walk 3 feet without becoming breathless. The prognosis he claims is guarded. Stage 3 is very scary but I need to know my future. So yes, the truth allows me to celebrate life and appreciate every day.

I am so sorry this happened to you, and wish you the best. Please keep us updated on your progress.  

ANd I would also want to know my prognosis...whatever it might be.  No sugar coating 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MyGirlsMom  I still would want to know....not want to be kept in the dark. 

Honored Contributor

@wilma wrote:

I want to know anything and everything about my medical condition. I have been chronically ill and have had serious illnesses in the past. My doctors always told me the truth about possible treatments, surgeries, and the odds of success. I wouldn't want it any other way. There were a few times when the doctors gave me some pretty lousy odds on making it through, but I am still here at age 50+. After several years of good health, I have been diagnosed with a blood disease. I am undergoing treatments that may or may not help me. My doctor has been open and honest with me about everything. That's what I want. 

Wilma....prayers and best wishes for recovery and pain free days ahead. (((((((((((Wilma)))))))))))))))

Honored Contributor

@trinity 11 

All the best to you and praying for a speedy recovery. Heart

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson