Honored Contributor

Re: RE: Terminal Illness - Would you want to hear the truth from your doctor?

I'd want to know if it was imminent (under a year).  Otherwise, no.  I already know my time is limited.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

When i was diagnosed with kidney cancer my doctor walked in and pulled up a chair. He had the pathology report in his hand and allowed me to read it, then he gave me all the statistics about renal cancer and said he was scheduling surgery the next day. It was daunting as statistically if it is not all gotten out there is only a 5% chance of surviving 5 years. That was over 25 years ago so I assume he did a really good surgery. I appreciated his openness and honesty. When he left I called my husband and he came to the hospital and we both cried.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

I'd want to know if it was imminent (under a year).  Otherwise, no.  I already know my time is limited.

I shudder at the thought of going to sleep and wondering if I will see another day. I know this holds true for everyone but to be sick and having this as my last thought of the day is extremly hard for me.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

We have a friend who complained of stomach pains last week, she was later admitted to the hospital after visiting her doctor.

In that weeks time, its been discovered that she has four serious medical issues, any of which will end her life.

We've been visiting since Saturday and she is in ICU.  The doctors have been quite open and honest with the family but hasn't shared it with our friend.

I hope they don't.  In the meantime, they want to do hospice care for her. 

This just happened to go along with what we had been discussing. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

I pray that she doesn't suffer much before her eyes close for good.Woman Sad

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

When i was diagnosed with kidney cancer my doctor walked in and pulled up a chair. He had the pathology report in his hand and allowed me to read it, then he gave me all the statistics about renal cancer and said he was scheduling surgery the next day. It was daunting as statistically if it is not all gotten out there is only a 5% chance of surviving 5 years. That was over 25 years ago so I assume he did a really good surgery. I appreciated his openness and honesty. When he left I called my husband and he came to the hospital and we both cried.

I'm glad you made it.

@151949

Esteemed Contributor

I would want to know so that I get any and all loose ends in order. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

A friend of mine is going through this with her husband right now. He is 67 years old and has smoked for at least 50 years. He has COPD, congestive heart failure, lung bullae, and other health issues. She took him to our closest University Hospital. They said they would do surgery, but he probably would die from complications due to it. So, now she is taking him to a pulmonologist at the University Hospital hoping that he can do something through a broncoscopy! Her regular pulmonologist told her that they need to be discussing end-of-life issues. She was furious and told the doctor that he has destroyed all their hopes and dreams for the future.

I was thinking (but didn't say) that her husband destroyed all their dreams for the future by smoking all his adult life. I think my friend is just in that phase where she is in denial and anger.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

When I was fifty eight years old I had trouble breathing and was very tired all the time. I went to the emergency room. I was admitted and after many tests I was told I had dilated cardiomyopathy. In other words a very enlarged heart. My doctor and his team said they could put my name on a list for a heart transplant. I began to cry so much so fast. My husband was with me. He was shocked. I looked at him and said no no heart transplant for me. I came with this heart and will go with this heart. Put on many scripts. My doctor suggested a defibulater. Fairly new at that time. They put it in. It is my lifesaver. It is changed every seven years. The one I have is my third. I am seventy four years old. I am so great full for the life I have. I do want to know so I can make my own decisions. The right ones for me.  Bless all of you brave women.