Respected Contributor

I ponder to think....yeah; I think, so there for I am. (smile) Now who said that first?

The point is this... I have or had... because I gave them away....well most...had to keep my favorite books.....I had over 3,000 hard cover book in my writing and reading room.

And I loved to hang out in all the major libraries in different towns. Reading old dusty books that was in the process of turning to dust. I loved it when I got to take old books out of the safe they had underground; that few would ask for or they are so valued to put out on the selves.

What I noticed over the many years are the writers for generations, our generations we are living now...many writers just rewrote ideas that was written long ago. Some ideas was ideas of over 1,000 years ago...but the writers reword the ideas as if they thought of the ideas.

The point I am trying to make is this...every darn word that comes out of my mouth or ideas I have came out of books. And if I say something some of you like to say use my own ideas or thoughts....darn it all... I did not come to this planet full of information...I had to put the information into my mind.

Now what? All of us are nothing but reruns of older ideas from books or movies.

The only words or ideas that are mine alone.....is the information and knowledge I gathered by my own experiences to do with that thingy that sure looked like a flying saucer...yeah I know...those things are not real...so many of you love to tell me. But at least that information has never been written in any book. It is pure information.

So how do we all talk in the forum without repeating ideas we all got from a book? Every word you speak came from a book. I think I am lost and confused.

Respected Contributor

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

I ponder to think....yeah; I think, so there for I am. (smile) Now who said that first?

The point is this... I have or had... because I gave them away....well most...had to keep my favorite books.....I had over 3,000 hard cover book in my writing and reading room.

And I loved to hang out in all the major libraries in different towns. Reading old dusty books that was in the process of turning to dust. I loved it when I got to take old books out of the safe they had underground; that few would ask for or they are so valued to put out on the selves.

What I noticed over the many years are the writers for generations, our generations we are living now...many writers just rewrote ideas that was written long ago. Some ideas was ideas of over 1,000 years ago...but the writers reword the ideas as if they thought of the ideas.

The point I am trying to make is this...every darn word that comes out of my mouth or ideas I have came out of books. And if I say something some of you like to say use my own ideas or thoughts....darn it all... I did not come to this planet full of information...I had to put the information into my mind.

The only words or ideas that are mine alone.....is the information and knowledge I gathered by my own experiences to do with that thingy that sure looked like a flying saucer...yeah I know...those things are not real...so many of you love to tell me. But at least that information has never been written in any book. It is pure information.

So how do we all talk in the forum without repeating ideas we all got from a book? Every word you speak came from a book. I think I am lost and confused.

I often think about each of us are almost the total of rerun information.  How are we ever going to move forward and really change?   Too many drag around their past and it will not allow the now and the future to be new and different.   Earth needs a total change don't you think?

Honored Contributor

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

I often think about each of us are almost the total of rerun information.  How are we ever going to move forward and really change?   Too many drag around their past and it will not allow the now and the future to be new and different.   Earth needs a total change don't you think?

And we are in one now.  There are species dying off, some for no more complicated reasons than it is their time.  There will be a time for our species as well, and another species, perhaps even a plant species, will take over the earth.  I have seen this written.

We don't really know what's to come.  Our finest scientists don't know.  We are in a period of change right now and no one really knows where it's going to wind up.  The continents have always moved and changed, and we get all confused and upset as to why.  Why?  Because they always have and always will. 

Not that I don't think the human species has done its share of hastening the process in many ways, but in most ways, the earth has never stayed the same and it never will, that is unless it gets hit by a really huge object that knocks it out of orbit, or the sun suddenly becomes far hotter and burns it up.

We are not much in the scheme of things.  Outer space and the millions of galaxies and universes out there will never be known to man.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

Re: RATTLE AND HUM....

[ Edited ]

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

I

Hi One White Sparrow-  Interesting post. I bolded the two sentences that struck a chord with me. I once had a very special friend who had many books in his office. When I looked at those books, I would think  "Mike, you are those books."

Years later, I told him  those thoughts that I had .

So, thank you  for your post, and the nice memories it brought back to me.

Valued Contributor

Re: RATTLE AND HUM....

[ Edited ]

Here is the answer to your first question:

"Cogito ergo sum" is translated as "I think, therefore I am."  Rene Descartes [French philosopher 1596-1650]

Here is something interesting to read concerning the rest of your post:

"The eye never has enough of seeing,

nor the ear its fill of hearing.

What has been will be again,

what has been done will be done again;

there is nothing new under the sun.

Is there anything of which one can say,

“Look! This is something new”?

It was here already, long ago;

it was here before our time."

[Ecclesiastes 1]

As to books seemingly repeating each other:

Did you know there are supposedly only seven basic book plots: 

rags to riches; overcoming the monster; the quest; voyage and return; comedy; tragedy, and rebirth.

And, there are 36 dramatic situations in books: 

I learned this information from my son, who was a former English teacher, but is now a Presbyterian minister.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde