Esteemed Contributor

RAGING FIRE IN L.A., CLOSE TO BURBANK AND GLENDALE

The pictures tell it all.  Over 700 homes are in danger, people have been evacuated.  Firefighters have only a 10% handle on the fires and strong winds along with a heat wave with temperatures at one hundred degrees are making it even more difficult.  I worked at Warner Bros. in Burbank and am very familiar with the area.

When I lived in Chatsworth in the San Fernando Valley we were evacuated at one time due to fires along the ridge in Simi Valley.  I could see the fire burning while praying the firefighters could control it.  There isn't much one can take on short notice.  Certainly you don't think about furniture, personal documents, expensive art work, photographs, animals, things you can carry and fit in the car, that's about it.  We were lucky, the fire was contained and the relief knowing your home is no longer threatened was enormous.

Please pray for the safety of the hundreds of firefighters as well as the people who fear for their homes.  If the winds die down it will help but unfortunately no one can control the wind.  To all of you in the fire area, please leave when the Fire Department and Police Department tell you to go.  It is very hard to drive away not knowing if you will have a home to come back to but your lives depend on complying with the order to go.  Stay safe and God Bless all of you. Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Re: RAGING FIRE IN L.A., CLOSE TO BURBANK AND GLENDALE

It does seem as there has been one crises after another recently.  Hopefully the firefighters will be able to get a handle on this fire before it does irreversible damage. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

The weather extremes cannot be ignored. My friend in Marin County sent me a photo of her outdoor thermometer. It read 107 degrees. The western US is unbelievably hot. I hope this scary fire gets under control soon and that everyone stay safe. 

Respected Contributor

I was raised in Burbank.  My thoughts & prayers are with them.

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma

Thanks for the good thoughts ....  I'm not far from Universal Studios, so the huge cloud of smoke in the sky .... and the flying ash .....   are a bit scary.  

Although the weather reports of rain often don't pan out, there is supposedly a 40% chance of rain this evening, so I hope it actually comes through ....  every little bit helps!

Respected Contributor

i'm down the road a bit from fire - but yesterday ash was everywhere, today the smell of fire permeates the San Fernando Valley.  i know our firefighters -  among the world's best -  will do the best possible job -  and hope that the humidity we are experiencing with triple digit temps culminate in the showers they are predicting for tonight to help them out. we expect a temperature drop tomorrow -  which will also help.

Esteemed Contributor

Years ago I lived in the San Fernando Valley - now I live in north Oxnard. Just seeing the fires in the Burbank area were shocking. Oxnard's temperature rarely goes above 85 - and today it was 91 degrees - with very high humidity. I'm older and the humidity affects me - hard to move around.

To all the people affected by fires, hurricanes, flooding ---- America is praying for u to be safe. Americans are so helpful and put their own lives at risk to help others.

Honored Contributor

Hopefully the rain will come through.  It's so hot in CA right now I pray for those who will be affected by these fires.

Bless all the responders who have to battle this.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I also read where the state of Montana has acres and acres of raging fires.

Scary and I hope they are able to contain all of these fires.

Honored Contributor

@HisElk wrote:

I also read where the state of Montana has acres and acres of raging fires.

Scary and I hope they are able to contain all of these fires.

Oregon, too.