Super Contributor

Re: R.I.P Sir Winton, You Did Much More Than Good

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

Thank you.

Sir Nicholas Winton, who became known as “the British Oskar Schindler” after saving hundreds of Jewish children from Nazi tyranny and slaughter in Czechoslovakia, has died aged 106, his family said.

The unassuming hero, who saved the lives of 669 children in 1939 by sending them from Prague to London by train, died peacefully in his sleep at Wrexham Park hospital in Slough, his son-in-law, Stephen Watson, said.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/british-schindler-sir-nicholas-winton-dies-aged-106/ar-AAcqGkq

--------

Knowing what I know about the brutality, the Evil and the mercilessness of the Nazis, I am overwhelmed by the story of the quiet heroes... it was no easy feat to challenge the Evil, either outwardly or behind the scenes.....the heroes put their own lives in the balance.....sometimes their own families too......RIP Sir Winton....you were a Man among men......your Legacy will live FOREVER.

Respected Contributor

Thank God Sir Winton did not just hold an opinion but acted upon it. Bless this fine, good man.

Trusted Contributor

A year ago today, I was walking in Prague and along the walkway were signs with the story of Sir Winton and the children he saved. It was fascinating and I read every word on those signs. I had never heard his story before even though I have read quite a bit about the Holocaust.  There are so many stories throughout history that are worth knowing, but few of us do know them. That's why life is so interesting and there is always more to learn. 

Respected Contributor

Marp, thank you for starting this invaluable and heartbreaking thread
Esteemed Contributor

May he rest in peace. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

I'll always believe there are angels walking among us mortals, and in my opinion Sir Nicholas Winton was one of them.  May he rest in peace.

Thanks for this lovely thread, @Marp.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova