Honored Contributor

Baby Boomers such as myself will remember when singer Otis Redding, only 26 years old, died in a plane crash on this date in 1967, along with 6 others. The plane crashed into Wisconsin's Lake Monona. There was one survivor, trumpeter Ben Cauley of the group the Bar-Kays.

Aside from all the Beatles songs of course, Redding's Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay was one of my favorite songs of the 1960s and I still love it. May Otis rest in peace, gone much, much too soon.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the reminder Pearlee!   One of my favorite singers and  I loved that song  and others like " Try a little tenderness " "Stand by me"  Baby Boomer here !   I have one of his albums. I have many old R&B albums from the Motown days.

Honored Contributor

I'm 73, born and raised in So. Cal. and my all time fave music is Motown, surf music and good ole rock and roll, Beatles, Herman's Hermits, the whole British invasion and Stones.

Otis Redding was one of a kind, a true artist IMO. Stand By Me is one of my top ten favorite songs and always makes me weepy. Always reminds me of the health struggles of my late DH. It's also the theme music of the movie by the same name, a movie I have on DVR and love  to  watch

Honored Contributor

Re: R.I.P. OTIS REDDING

[ Edited ]

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I'm 73, born and raised in So. Cal. and my all time fave music is Motown, surf music and good ole rock and roll, Beatles, Herman's Hermits, the whole British invasion and Stones.

Otis Redding was one of a kind, a true artist IMO. Stand By Me is one of my top ten favorite songs and always makes me weepy. Always reminds me of the health struggles of my late DH. It's also the theme music of the movie by the same name, a movie I have on DVR and love  to  watch

@Love my grandkids  @Goodie2shoes   While Redding did a cover of Stand By Me, Ben E. King sang the version made popular on the radio and actually co-wrote the song. I saw the film too long ago to remember who sang it in that. But are you sure you mean to asssociate the song with Redding

Honored Contributor

He was a treasure.  

Esteemed Contributor

Otis Redding was a very unique artist for an R&B singer  He had a style that attracted fans whether they liked soul music/R&B, or not.  For me, it is his song Love Man that pops into my mind when I think of Redding.  That song is hot. Fire

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee Oops. you are RIGHT! It was Ben E. King. Thanks for the reminder, I appreciate it Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Otis Redding,  a legend in music, sang with such emotion and feeling, loved Try A Little Tenderness .  It was a sad day when he passed for the music world and for all of us his fans.  But his music lives on and still creates emotions when I hear his songs. We have lost too many greats from Plane crashes, tragic.  

Honored Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

Otis Redding,  a legend in music, sang with such emotion and feeling, loved Try A Little Tenderness .  It was a sad day when he passed for the music world and for all of us his fans.  But his music lives on and still creates emotions when I hear his songs. We have lost too many greats from Plane crashes, tragic.  

@spiderw  Yes lots of plane crashes in those days. Jim Croce, Patsy Kline. Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper, Richie Valens, later John Denver, Ricky Nelson. Thankfully not so many now.

Trusted Contributor

Otis is one of my favorite R & B singers.  Love his voice. "Try a Little Tenderness" is a classic. He sang it with a LOT of emotion.