Esteemed Contributor

Hey girl! I just wanted to check on you and see how that Paulas Choice Vitamin C serum worked for you (and the other products you purchased). Please don't be afraid to give me your honest opinion. Not every product works for everyone but I really wanted to know what you thought.

Also, how was your Christmas? I hope you had a great holiday!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

Hi there Irshgrl~!!!

At first it caused some clogging of some pores . . . I think I was over-doing it and maybe the Vitamin C turned dark in the pore or oxidized or something . . . not like real blackheads as they have disappeared with just backing off on application of the Vitamin C and the Resist Moisture in the pump bottle. I had one or two little pimples on my chin . . . they went away quickly and easily with a very warm washcloth.

I've been using it about 6 weeks now, maybe 7 weeks . . . I'd have to go back and see my order date . . . and I think I can tell a difference in the firmness of my skin . . . seems more resilient or firm or something . . . hard to describe . . . I can see improvement in the peri-oral area.

I have re-ordered a bottle of the Vit. C. I've almost finished the first bottle, the dropper doesn't quite reach the bottom of the bottle so I'll probably have to use without the dropper to finish off the bottle.

I don't use the serum in the little tube everyday . . . usually mix with the Vit. C and the serum as a primer on days when I'm dressing up more and make a more effort at makeup those days. Smiley Happy

Hope all is well and I would love more recommendations for products that work . . . that don't cost an arm & leg.

We've had a quiet Christmas this year. Just the four of us. Hoping your Christmas was wonderful.

Thanks again for the Paula's Choice Vit. C recommendation. I need to get back into using my Clairisonic . . . I store it on some shelves in the bathroom back behind the door so I tend to forget about it . . . but my pores are clean and clear right now! I've even used it under my eyes and on my eyelids . .. doesn't seem too strong either.

Esteemed Contributor
On 12/26/2014 Qwackertoo said:

Hi there Irshgrl~!!!

At first it caused some clogging of some pores . . . I think I was over-doing it and maybe the Vitamin C turned dark in the pore or oxidized or something . . . not like real blackheads as they have disappeared with just backing off on application of the Vitamin C and the Resist Moisture in the pump bottle. I had one or two little pimples on my chin . . . they went away quickly and easily with a very warm washcloth.

I've been using it about 6 weeks now, maybe 7 weeks . . . I'd have to go back and see my order date . . . and I think I can tell a difference in the firmness of my skin . . . seems more resilient or firm or something . . . hard to describe . . . I can see improvement in the peri-oral area.

I have re-ordered a bottle of the Vit. C. I've almost finished the first bottle, the dropper doesn't quite reach the bottom of the bottle so I'll probably have to use without the dropper to finish off the bottle.

I don't use the serum in the little tube everyday . . . usually mix with the Vit. C and the serum as a primer on days when I'm dressing up more and make a more effort at makeup those days. Smiley Happy

Hope all is well and I would love more recommendations for products that work . . . that don't cost an arm & leg.

We've had a quiet Christmas this year. Just the four of us. Hoping your Christmas was wonderful.

Thanks again for the Paula's Choice Vit. C recommendation. I need to get back into using my Clairisonic . . . I store it on some shelves in the bathroom back behind the door so I tend to forget about it . . . but my pores are clean and clear right now! I've even used it under my eyes and on my eyelids . .. doesn't seem too strong either.

Are you saying that the Vit C caused blackheads or the serum that contains the silicones did? I remember you saying that silicone does bother your skin. Cones do do that to some people but the reason many skin care companies use silicones is because out of all the bases they use, silicones have the least negative interactions of most of the bases. My daughter doesn't like silicones as they irritate her skin as well. She has combo/oily skin like I do and her skin just doesn't like them but I am also combo/oily (esp in the summer) but my skin absolutely loves them. Everyone is so different. I would like to see her (PC) make an antioxidant serum that doesn't contain silicones for the people that don't like that. She may have one already, I will have to check. I know the Vit C serum doesn't have any but I am talking about her regular antioxidant serum. Keep the ones with the silicones, but just add a few without for dry skin, combo and oily like she has now.

If you are having problems with black heads or pimples she has great products for that. Do you currently have any BHA's to use to keep pores clean? BHA stands for Beta Hydroxy Acid. It contains salicylic acid which is great for keeping the pore wall clean. Both AHA (alpha hydroxy acid) and BHAs are chemical exfoliants and are great for keeping the pore wall clean (which is BHA's main job) and AHAs exfoliates the skin surface so that helps with sun damage, fine lines, binding moisture to the skin and collagen production. I find I get the clearest skin from using both. If I just use the BHA, it seems it doesn't keep it as consistently clean as it does when I use the AHA too. The AHA keeps that dead top layer off so that the BHA can really get down further in the pore to keep that pore wall clean.

If you are having problems with that, try using BOTH the AHA and BHA. Here are a couple of products that work great with that and ones I use too. Here is the AHA http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/skin-care-categories/aha-and-bha-exfoliants/_/Skin-Perfecting-Eight...

or this one

http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/skin-care-categories/aha-and-bha-exfoliants/_/Resist-Skin-Revealing...

One is a gel and the other is a lotion. The lotion is 10% and 2% stronger so I would try that AFTER you try the 8% and only if you need something stronger.

Alpha Hydrox brand also sells some AHA lotions and gels that are great and really economical. Here is a link.

I will just give you a link to Paulas Choice chemical exfoliant page so you can look at what you like. Each product you click on will give you a detailed description along with reviews. PC also has a chat page so you can speak with a CS rep. They are very informed and knowledgeable.

Also, I will link you to Paula's Choice reviews on other products. THis is only her best of the best list and she breaks them down by categories. I find this very helpful.

http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/skin-care-categories/aha-and-bha-exfoliants/

I am not sure if I have given these to you before but I hope you find them helpful!

I am so glad you had a wonderful Christmas.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

I bet it was the serum then. As I only use that on occasion now . . . still use Vit C almost everyday sometimes twice a day. No, I probably need an AHA or BHA or like you said both. I had meant to do a post to you asking! I guess now I'll wait for a 15% or 20% sale and free shipping before I order again! There was one new something that came out recently but I didn't get around to ordering yet.

Thanks for all the great info~!!!!

Esteemed Contributor
On 12/26/2014 Qwackertoo said:

I bet it was the serum then. As I only use that on occasion now . . . still use Vit C almost everyday sometimes twice a day. No, I probably need an AHA or BHA or like you said both. I had meant to do a post to you asking! I guess now I'll wait for a 15% or 20% sale and free shipping before I order again! There was one new something that came out recently but I didn't get around to ordering yet.

Thanks for all the great info~!!!!

Please write or call Paulas Choice and let them know that the antioxidant serum caused you to break out. They have a 60 return policy and they WANT you to be happy. They will return your money o let you get something different that will work for you better. Please take advantage of that, you should definitely get your money back if you aren't happy with it. I think they have the best CS of ANY skin care company out there that I have dealt with and as an aesthetician that has been a whole lot. I am not saying every product is perfect and everyone will love everything but knowing that their CS is so outstanding, that keeps me a happy customer. I once left a review for a product I was using. I wasn't crazy about it. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it and I pretty much said that in the review. I received an email the next day and they had credited my card on file and told me they were sorry it wasn't up to my standards. They also gave me a couple of recommendations for other products that may work better for me. How many companies would refund when you haven't even asked for one and just left a poor review? None that I know of. They check their reviews frequently and often leave comments after reviews.

I am going to be reordering some things with in the next couple of days and I noticed an email I got from them offering different deals and one was a free N ude Eyeshadow Palette (sort of like the Naked palette by Urban Decay that is so popular) on orders $65 and over. I think I might try to see if that is still available.

If you have any questions about anything, don't hesitate to do a shout out thread. I am not on all the time but I will do a search to see if my nic shows up in a thread.

Take care!!!

JFK
Valued Contributor
I was going to start a thread to you also, I purchased the AHA and BHA gels and the acne products from Paula's Choice upon your recommendation on a beauty thread about two months ago and my skin has never looked better! I even got the acne products for my daughter for Christmas! Thanks again Irshgrl!!!
This sota girl says pop, duck, duck, gray duck and loves tater tot hotdish
Esteemed Contributor
On 12/26/2014 redhead handbag queen said: I was going to start a thread to you also, I purchased the AHA and BHA gels and the acne products from Paula's Choice upon your recommendation on a beauty thread about two months ago and my skin has never looked better! I even got the acne products for my daughter for Christmas! Thanks again Irshgrl!!!

Oh my goodness, I am so happy to hear that Redheadhandbagqueen! That is great. I love it when I can help someone out but I LOVE it when I hear that something I have recommended has worked out well.

Thank you SO MUCH for letting me know that you had success with those products. It really means a lot to me!

I also want to say to others that have taken a recommendation that they haven't found the same success, please keep writing to me because not everything works for everyone and I want to keep going until they find something that works for them.

Again, RHHBQ, thanks so much for letting me know!! Let me know how the acne product work for your daughter. Which products did you get for her and is she using the AHA and BHAs as well?

JFK
Super Contributor

I'd also be interested in hearing what products worked for your daughter. My daughter has quit her dermatologist routine as it was too harsh for her skin, Panoxyl 4 and Retin A along with a Bactrim prescription and she didn't want to take long term. She has a few breakouts and I'd like to try to help her out with something effective yet more gentle.

I could order and take with me when I go to spend a few nights with her over her birthday the first week of January. She has to leave here tomorrow to head back to school as the buses will roll at 5 a.m. on Monday heading to their bowl game this year on New Year's Day. Since her bday is in the middle of the week I'm going to go and spend a few days with her . . . 21st birthday and all and the husband and son can stay home and go to school & work & take care of the dogs, he goes back on the 5th so they can't come on her birthday. Maybe she & I can do some "at home" spa nights after she gets home from work and that weekend. This will be one of her co-op semester cycles and I'm sure she'll get a little lonely in some strange town with no family and not many friends except co-workers and at church.

Super Contributor

Irshgrl, I have the Regular Strength Clear Kit for my daughter in my cart. I think the Extra Strength would be too strong for her fair & delicate skin. What do you think for starting out trying that? She is very into natural and good ingredients so I would think she'd be OK with Paula's Choice. Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor
On 12/27/2014 Qwackertoo said:

Irshgrl, I have the Regular Strength Clear Kit for my daughter in my cart. I think the Extra Strength would be too strong for her fair & delicate skin. What do you think for starting out trying that? She is very into natural and good ingredients so I would think she'd be OK with Paula's Choice. Thanks.

Sorry, I just saw this. I think that would be great!

JFK