Honored Contributor

Re: Qvc nothing like it once was

@stevieb wrote:

Well of course change is inevitable, but when changes in a retail entitey are consistently for the worse, there's no harm in saying so. To extrapolate the 'everything changes' adage to a once valuable shopping resource's continued devolution is sort of a disconnect. I agree with you, @Pargy, shopping here is nothing like it once was. That fact is reflected in my purchases here today versus even five years ago, though QVC' backward steps have been going on for a bit longer than five years.

Well said.  I was about to say "what hasn't changed" but you brought me up short and made me rethink such a flippant response.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Contributor

@aoldgirl lately my orders have no tracking, the website is hit or miss at best, Live Chat gives the same 'canned answer' you will have to call Customer Serivce. And sadly, I am not the only one this is happening to. Though thank goodness for forums because now I know I am not alone in all the mishaps. 

Respected Contributor

Yup.  Once a corporation has a market share, competing is not their priority anymore.   Instead everything cheapens to the disadvantage of the consumer, as the company keeps trying to maximize profits and give share-holders more returns-  The consumer is the loser.  Sad but that’s life. 

Thats where we are now with Q , which has merged with HSN.  Now they have almost the whole TV shopping market (just Evine is left). 

Super Contributor

I used to go nuts over jewelry and have bought a lot over the years. Then when gold prices went up, I started backing off of my purchases. However, this past Christmas, I ordered quite a bit of stuff and, would you believe, I ended up returning most of it. Cost me a fortune in return shipping fees. I don't like that they no longer refund the original shipping cost, either. So, what I am getting around to saying is....... I have stopped buying anything from QVC.  The quality is just not there anymore. I am a brick and mortar shopper now. If I can't look at it, try it on, or hold it in my hand before purchasing, I just don't want it.  

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Super Contributor

wrote:

Yup.  Once a corporation has a market share, competing is not their priority anymore.   Instead everything cheapens to the disadvantage of the consumer, as the company keeps trying to maximize profits and give share-holders more returns-  The consumer is the loser.  Sad but that’s life. 

Thats where we are now with Q , which has merged with HSN.  Now they have almost the whole TV shopping market (just Evine is left). 

@Skyegirl21 Stay away from Evine!  Shipping fees are high. They sometimes send mutiple items in one package and charge you $6.99 for each one.  

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Respected Contributor

wrote:

I used to watch QVC quite a bit, you could leave it on in the background. There's no way you can do that now - what with the hollering, screaming, dancing, and over-the-top theatrics. A minute or two is about all I can stand.

QVC used to have programs that were interesting in themselves - you didn't have to buy anything, you could just watch and it was enjoyable.

No more. 

I remember their "50 in 50" tour, that was quite interesting. I wish they would change their programming style back to a CALMER, more serene style; I think most people would appreciate it!

Well said! I agree with all you said.  Used to be able to have QVC on as "background noise".  The hosts sounded calm and pleasant without annoying habits.  Not now.  Now it's just noise.

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

I used to go nuts over jewelry and have bought a lot over the years. Then when gold prices went up, I started backing off of my purchases. However, this past Christmas, I ordered quite a bit of stuff and, would you believe, I ended up returning most of it. Cost me a fortune in return shipping fees. I don't like that they no longer refund the original shipping cost, either. So, what I am getting around to saying is....... I have stopped buying anything from QVC.  The quality is just not there anymore. I am a brick and mortar shopper now. If I can't look at it, try it on, or hold it in my hand before purchasing, I just don't want it.  

@moon_gazer  I agree with most of what you have said.  I realize that everything changes, but let's think about this.  First thing shipping is crazy, first thing that was stopped was buy one, get half the shipping on second one.  Then the Q Insider is gone.  IMO, and I don't care who likes it, if you can find it in a store do it.  I have seen many things for sale on Q that I have found half the price Q offers them.   Have never been a clothes buyer from a shopping channel.  They are getting to big and to me that means higher prices. 

Yes you have to pay 99 a year to belong to Amazon,  but they offer so much more.  I buy a lot of pet supplies and toys from them, Then you have hosts that no one will watch on both channels.  IMHO unless you are unable to get out to a store, yes it is handy.  If you can get and out look around, you will see same products for a lot less. Yes I have purchased a lot of Christmas stuff this past year, but only stuff I knew I could find nowhere else.   Let's face it, most of us started with the jewerly.  No one could beat their prices, that is no more. 

I have seen so many complaints on the boards about the same old products over and over.  Especially the same ones.   If things don't change, I believe there will be no home shopping in 10 years. JMO  Too many places online to buy and get better pricing. 

Now they want you to download an app on your phone to get special pricing?  To me it is more intrusion.  If I look at anything on this site, I can't go to facebook without seeing an advertisement about it.  Then they started pop up video's. I got rid of that real quick.  When I go to facebook, I don't want to see QVC.  I go to facebook to talk to family and friends.  I enjoy posting on facebook, don't have to worry about what I say.  ok enough ranting   :0)

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I am always amused at those that tout change as inevitable and appear to diminish some people's lament for stability.  I guess that is why so many cosmetics are sold as an anti aging panacea, because of the advent of change marching over our faces, or botox. The cosmetics industry is a multi billion dollar industry dedicated to stopping the change of aging. Sigh, be that as it may, in keeping with the OP spirit of the thread, I was cleaning out my closets getting ready for the 'Change' to Spring when I stumbled upon a jacket from Dialogue. Does anyone recall that brand? Still looked as good as new and fit. I took it out and am going to wear it. Yea.

@Deanie

There's a basic rule of science that comes from Physics:

"The only constant is change."

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

I am always amused at those that tout change as inevitable and appear to diminish some people's lament for stability.  I guess that is why so many cosmetics are sold as an anti aging panacea, because of the advent of change marching over our faces, or botox. The cosmetics industry is a multi billion dollar industry dedicated to stopping the change of aging. Sigh, be that as it may, in keeping with the OP spirit of the thread, I was cleaning out my closets getting ready for the 'Change' to Spring when I stumbled upon a jacket from Dialogue. Does anyone recall that brand? Still looked as good as new and fit. I took it out and am going to wear it. Yea.

@Deanie

There's a basic rule of science that comes from Physics:

"The only constant is change."

ps @Deanie I don't see how that diminishes people's lament for stability.  Probably most of us want stability, that doesn't mean things won't change.

Honored Contributor

@Pargy I've only shopped on QVC since 2004.  I've seen changes since then.

All I can say is I don't know your age but if you are old(er) like myself and some other's here, you'll not be surprised.

Things always change and (unfortunately) it often isn't for the best....well...for the best for some, but not other's.

Think of like medicine.  Ever read the brochures from the medicine?  One has to wonder why take it if it is so BAD for you?  I guess you have to decide which is worse (the cure or the disease).

I guess some people like the changes because QVC seems to be expanding greatly.