Esteemed Contributor

Re: Quitting Facebook for 2017

@Moonchilde wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

The problem is not Facebook.  Facebook can be whatever we want it to be.  If friends are chosen wisely, there shouldn't be a problem.

I read here all the time about people who are tired of what they see on Facebook - opinions they don't agree with, friends who are self-involved and annoying, photos of boring things, etc. It's not Facebook's fault!  We choose who we want to "friend".  If you're seeing things you don't want to see and if what you see on Facebook causes distress, then maybe you need to "friend" different people!  Facebook has not forced any of these people on you.  It's supposed to be your own little community of people you care about and enjoy. If it's not, then it's completely in your power to fix that.  Facebook simply provides the platform - You choose your little community on your own.

"Surround yourself with people who make you feel good" is something I've heard my entire life.  It's not always easy to do that in real life, but most definitely it's very easy to do on Facebook!

This is it, in a nutshell. Well said.

It is surprising when I hear (especially on these boards it seems too) so many people speak like FB is the problem. That is a friend problem, not a FB problem. Now I realize for some this is family and that isn't as easy as deleting a friend but if my own momma was talking slick on FB, I would delete her too!! I think there is nothing wrong with deleting family if they are acting like that. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@shopper since 1989 wrote:

I must be in the minority - never joined.

My husband did, but gets very frustrated at some political opinions.

Plus he gets all these msgs to play games.

I like keeping in touch, the old fashion way, by making phone calls (and sometimes emails  Cat Happy)

Jean

ITA.  Waste of time for me.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Face Book, like other social media venues is what one makes of it....can be a nice addition to other forms of communication and not any replace. Is also a nice space for others to catch a glimpse into the lives of others and others into ours in this busy world. We can build a page, preferences and add friends, relatives...whatever (term selfie makes me giggle)....is a page featuring me ....well is about any part of our life we choose to share with others or others with me. I dont mind seeing pics of kids, cats, grands houses of others and I dont feel I have to comment, react, like, share and all that either. Those ones that say "Can I get an Amen or a share?" Ummm no unless I feel like doing that. Need constant affirmation? No sorry not here and know that people dont always agree and know that if others irk us on social media that we do same too LOL.

I dont have a large circle of friends and I chuckle that my DH family is driven insane by not finding me as I use a former last name (LOOOOOOOL) They use fb as a platform to gossip, judge,  bla bla about other family and that wouldnt be fun ....so very limited family for me on face book as I do not take it too seriously. I do use it for classmates (40 yr reunion coming up) found biological siblings I hope to meet for first time this year, and and some friends who live overseas. I am severely disabled, live painfully rural  so my exposure to the outside world limited so NO is not a waste of time for me and my illness so rare there is a fb group there to gain information.

Such a nice place to relax and I dont vet folks based on having any particular political, religious, personal beliefs. I dont subscribe into the Us vs Them Mentality, The my Way or the Highway, and I sure know my opinion/beliefs isnt the ONLY right one so heel digging, arguments is out for me. Too exhausting. Yea I see it happens but I know opinions are as varied as people and is not all about me and not everyone will agree with me. Face Book would be stressful if I thought that way so personally I dont use it for any platform (political religious etc etc) Some do and that is ok for them but I laugh when they exclaim why face book is stressful?? Well um do ya swat a bee and expect it not to occasionally sting ya? I cannot yell about tolerance yet be intolerant to the beliefs of others but I can tweak my fb page not to become stressful.   I use it for light purposes and expect if I touch heat it will burn LOL. SusanNYC said it well......Face Book is what one makes it to be......life is complicated enough.

Honored Contributor

Didn't join FB until a year ago and it's not nearly as much fun as I thought it would be.  So many people go on and on about their causes.  Others seem to be looking for attention.  On top of that, anyone seriously needing help gets "hugs" or "prayers" but no one seems to have genuine concern.  I do like it as a way to share family news -- like when a baby was born.

Esteemed Contributor

I 'unfriended' 5 'friends' yesterday. I like seeing pictures of their grandchildren....cute pictures....updates on what they are doing.

I do not want Political post after post after post , pictures of abused kids and dogs, recipes that I doubt they are even going to make. The women that are divorced and only have pictures of them out partying and getting drunk are also gone.

I even got rid of a cousin who berated me for taking my garnddaughter to Disney World because it is overpriced and commercial. a good gramma would have taken her to see the Grand Canyon...what?

I tried the 'unfollow', but things were showing up and I really feel better no that I hit the unfriend button and I even blocked one girl from HS because she was trying to 'refriend' me.

People who are that hateful and do nothing but spew hateful posts are NOT my friends and I had no problem culling my FB page.

There are people that I did not keep in touch with over the years and now I know why.

Just like real life....surround yourself with the good people....

Respected Contributor

So just unfollow their feeds. Why would you quit for that? I don't follow all my friends on FB I selectively follow a few.  I could never follow or want to follow all of them.  But I would not quit FB.  Its not fb fault, they give you the tools to customize your experience. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

With all due respect to Facebook being what you make it, not necessarily true unless one of you can tell me how to control this.  

Facebook gives you suggestions about who to be friends with and I assume also to others to friend you.  I had a HUGE problem with that since a lot of those suggested people were customers of my employer.  They don't need to be directed to my personal FB page.

My only friends were family and one coworker who did enjoy friending everyone including her clients.  I figured that was where it was coming from since she and I were friends so I created a completely separate FB account under a new identity to stay completely private.  

It's less but I still get "suggestions" for people I do know who don't need to know me or my personal life.  I have ZERO friends on that account and it's not in any way linked to the other.  I ended up giving up and deactivating it all.  

I don't like a social media platform digging associated strangers up and directing them to connect with me especially when I and they have no reason to be in each other's personal spaces.         

Respected Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

The problem is not Facebook.  Facebook can be whatever we want it to be.  If friends are chosen wisely, there shouldn't be a problem.

I read here all the time about people who are tired of what they see on Facebook - opinions they don't agree with, friends who are self-involved and annoying, photos of boring things, etc. It's not Facebook's fault!  We choose who we want to "friend".  If you're seeing things you don't want to see and if what you see on Facebook causes distress, then maybe you need to "friend" different people!  Facebook has not forced any of these people on you.  It's supposed to be your own little community of people you care about and enjoy. If it's not, then it's completely in your power to fix that.  Facebook simply provides the platform - You choose your little community on your own.

"Surround yourself with people who make you feel good" is something I've heard my entire life.  It's not always easy to do that in real life, but most definitely it's very easy to do on Facebook!

This is it, in a nutshell. Well said.

It is surprising when I hear (especially on these boards it seems too) so many people speak like FB is the problem. That is a friend problem, not a FB problem. Now I realize for some this is family and that isn't as easy as deleting a friend but if my own momma was talking slick on FB, I would delete her too!! I think there is nothing wrong with deleting family if they are acting like that. 

Exactly Irish, I private messaged a nephew who kept tagging me on Political stuff because we differ in pov. I told him to stop or I would unfriend him. He apologized and that was that. No need to quit fb. 

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

With all due respect to Facebook being what you make it, not necessarily true unless one of you can tell me how to control this.  

Facebook gives you suggestions about who to be friends with and I assume also to others to friend you.  I had a HUGE problem with that since a lot of those suggested people were customers of my employer.  They don't need to be directed to my personal FB page.

My only friends were family and one coworker who did enjoy friending everyone including her clients.  I figured that was where it was coming from since she and I were friends so I created a completely separate FB account under a new identity to stay completely private.  

It's less but I still get "suggestions" for people I do know who don't need to know me and personal life.  I have ZERO friends on that account and it's not in any way linked to the other.  I ended up giving up and deactivating it all.  

I don't like a social media platform digging associated strangers up and directing them to connect with me especially when I and they have no reason to be in each other's personal spaces.         

I guess I'm missing something here.  I can respect how you feel about this but no one can friend you without you accepting or confirming the friend request.  So it's not like people can just friend you without your knowledge or acceptance.

I get friend requests all the time from friends of friends, weird guys, etc.  I don't confirm them as friends.  Most of the time I actually delete their friend request. 

Do you not like the fact that you have to ignore them and they may be upset that you didn't accept their request?   

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

It's less but I still get "suggestions" for people I do know who don't need to know me and personal life.  I have ZERO friends on that account and it's not in any way linked to the other.  I ended up giving up and deactivating it all.  

I guess I'm missing something here.  I can respect how you feel about this but no one can friend you without you accepting or confirming the friend request.  So it's not like people can just friend you without your knowledge or acceptance.

I get friend requests all the time from friends of friends, weird guys, etc.  I don't confirm them as friends.  Most of the time I actually delete their friend request. 

Do you not like the fact that you have to ignore them and they may be upset that you didn't accept their request?   

@Lipstickdiva  They aren't asking to be my friend.  Only a few have and I have ignored the request.  This is in the suggestion part where FB encourages you to get to know certain people.  FB even emails you at times and ask if you know certain people.  

There is a whole list of them and their pictures every time I would log on and in my email and I didn't like who FB was bringing up in my face.  I'm sure I'm popping up in these people's faces too and that was a huge no no for me since a lot of those people didn't need to know I have a FB page, period.  If I want to browse and look people up, that should be my choice and not FB's proactive duty.

FB also won't let me completely private things like photos and profiles.  That's a deal breaker for me when they are directing strangers I do know only superficially to what I'm doing privately.  It's too easy for people to browse/stalk your page without asking to be your friend and I was way too uncomfortable with that so out the door FB went.