Esteemed Contributor

Re: Quitting Facebook for 2017

The problem is not Facebook.  Facebook can be whatever we want it to be.  If friends are chosen wisely, there shouldn't be a problem.

I read here all the time about people who are tired of what they see on Facebook - opinions they don't agree with, friends who are self-involved and annoying, photos of boring things, etc. It's not Facebook's fault!  We choose who we want to "friend".  If you're seeing things you don't want to see and if what you see on Facebook causes distress, then maybe you need to "friend" different people!  Facebook has not forced any of these people on you.  It's supposed to be your own little community of people you care about and enjoy. If it's not, then it's completely in your power to fix that.  Facebook simply provides the platform - You choose your little community on your own.

"Surround yourself with people who make you feel good" is something I've heard my entire life.  It's not always easy to do that in real life, but most definitely it's very easy to do on Facebook!

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

The problem is not Facebook.  Facebook can be whatever we want it to be.  If friends are chosen wisely, there shouldn't be a problem.

I read here all the time about people who are tired of what they see on Facebook - opinions they don't agree with, friends who are self-involved and annoying, photos of boring things, etc. It's not Facebook's fault!  We choose who we want to "friend".  If you're seeing things you don't want to see and if what you see on Facebook causes distress, then maybe you need to "friend" different people!  Facebook has not forced any of these people on you.  It's supposed to be your own little community of people you care about and enjoy. If it's not, then it's completely in your power to fix that.  Facebook simply provides the platform - You choose your little community on your own.

"Surround yourself with people who make you feel good" is something I've heard my entire life.  It's not always easy to do that in real life, but most definitely it's very easy to do on Facebook!

Applause!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

NYC Susan wrote:

This is an excellent point, @NYC Susan!   In addition, many of the reasons given on this thread for not liking Facebook are things that could be addressed with certain features (example, blocking game requests, not allowing just anyone to send us a friend request).    The bottom line is that it's a fabulous venue for those who want to learn how to use it, and who manage it to meet their needs/desires, and it's also okay if people choose not to participate.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

No need to quit - just do a mass Unfriending.

People you don't actually communicate with and haven't maintained an actual relationship with, if 80+% of their posts annoy you, just Unfriend them. They most likely won't know, and they most likely wouldn't care if they did know. 

No one ever has to accept every Friend request they get, or stay FB Friends with someone forever.

Be aware that no matter how much you might think "your posts don't stink", I guarantee you that some of your posts probably annoy others as much as theirs annoy you.

Yep. I have to say that after unfriending the 4 and then another 1 last month, my news feed looks great.  It's not a big deal to unfriend people. 

No, it isn't. There may be reasons, with some people, where it isn't all their posts that annoy you all the time, where Unfollowing works out best. But you will still get Notifications that they posted something, even if it's not in your Feed. Example: I had people as Friends (including Family) who used their FB account for 100% political posts. I hate that cluttering up my Feed even when I agree with them. When I Unfollowed them, I'd still get 25+ Notifications per day that they'd posted something. I had to either Unfriend them or put them in a different category to escape the Notifications.

No one receives any sort of email or other notification if you Unfriend them. If you make a lot of posts, or post every day AND they read all your posts, they may notice they're not seeing them any more, but there's no "Mary UNFRIENDED YOU!!!!" Thing going on ;-)

@Moonchilde, I don't get any notifications that friends have posted, except for those who post on my status update or image, or those who post after I added a comment to someone else's update.  On each person's Timeline, if you'll look at the drop-down menu under the word "Friends," just unselect "Get Notifications."  I think that will work...  something I did managed to shut down those constant notifications, but it's been a while.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shopper since 1989 wrote:

I must be in the minority - never joined.

My husband did, but gets very frustrated at some political opinions.

Plus he gets all these msgs to play games.

I like keeping in touch, the old fashion way, by making phone calls (and sometimes emails  Cat Happy)

I love Facebook, but I also speak to my friends and family on the phone, and we communicate via email, send cards & letters etc. too.  Using Facebook doesn't mean that all of that falls by the wayside.  Facebook is simply another way to keep in touch - It doesn't have to replace any of the others.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@september wrote:

Hmmm...some things are adding up for me here.  I just don't "like" posts from people that are political...so therefore I don't see their posts that are personal?

Sometimes, mutual friends have asked me if I've seen something that another friend posted...and even though I check Facebook regularly...I miss these things.  

@september, Not exactly.   Supposedly the algorithm factors in which friends' posts we tend to "like" or comment on more often, or names we mention, and will show us more of those in our news feed.   But as @Moonchilde said the software behind the scenes isn't very logical (to my way of thinking, anyway) and doesn't always do what the friendly little messages say it will do.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@shopper since 1989 wrote:

I must be in the minority - never joined.

My husband did, but gets very frustrated at some political opinions.

Plus he gets all these msgs to play games.

I like keeping in touch, the old fashion way, by making phone calls (and sometimes emails  Cat Happy)

I love Facebook, but I also speak to my friends and family on the phone, and we communicate via email, send cards & letters etc. too.  Using Facebook doesn't mean that all of that falls by the wayside.  Facebook is simply another way to keep in touch - It doesn't have to replace any of the others.

Exactly!   I didn't turn in my phone or access to my email or the postal service in order to use Facebook.   It all works nicely hand-in-hand.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

No need to quit - just do a mass Unfriending.

People you don't actually communicate with and haven't maintained an actual relationship with, if 80+% of their posts annoy you, just Unfriend them. They most likely won't know, and they most likely wouldn't care if they did know. 

No one ever has to accept every Friend request they get, or stay FB Friends with someone forever.

Be aware that no matter how much you might think "your posts don't stink", I guarantee you that some of your posts probably annoy others as much as theirs annoy you.

Yep. I have to say that after unfriending the 4 and then another 1 last month, my news feed looks great.  It's not a big deal to unfriend people. 

No, it isn't. There may be reasons, with some people, where it isn't all their posts that annoy you all the time, where Unfollowing works out best. But you will still get Notifications that they posted something, even if it's not in your Feed. Example: I had people as Friends (including Family) who used their FB account for 100% political posts. I hate that cluttering up my Feed even when I agree with them. When I Unfollowed them, I'd still get 25+ Notifications per day that they'd posted something. I had to either Unfriend them or put them in a different category to escape the Notifications.

No one receives any sort of email or other notification if you Unfriend them. If you make a lot of posts, or post every day AND they read all your posts, they may notice they're not seeing them any more, but there's no "Mary UNFRIENDED YOU!!!!" Thing going on ;-)

@Moonchilde, I don't get any notifications that friends have posted, except for those who post on my status update or image, or those who post after I added a comment to someone else's update.  On each person's Timeline, if you'll look at the drop-down menu under the word "Friends," just unselect "Get Notifications."  I think that will work...  something I did managed to shut down those constant notifications, but it's been a while.

Tried that long ago, @dooBdoo, and I still get them. I don't get their posts in my feed, but I still get notifications that they have posted, just not WHAT they posted. I do have more than one category of Friends, and when I put them in my "not bosom friend" category, I don't get any more notifications.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

I agree. I have friends on FB like I have in life. I don't keep friends who can't agree to disagree and put down or insult to make a point, especially with my other friends because of what they believe. I really haven't even had to delete that many people but I will do in a second and not waste a minute of time wringing my hands over it if someone is acting up.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

This is it, in a nutshell. Well said.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all