Valued Contributor

Re: Quitting Facebook for 2017

[ Edited ]

I quit FB, too. Some people were braggarts, some too nosey about my physical difficulties and ask personal stuff out there for all to see, and relatives arguments drove me away, too. Glad I wasn't there during the election, I have a friend who still is sore about it and makes comments whenever there's an opportunity, such as bringing up the news or  Golden Globes speech & would hate to deal with that on FB.

Respected Contributor

@luv-the-Q wrote:

@shoppersince1989 I'm also in the minority.  

@luv-the-Q@ And @Shoppersince1989. I'm with you and so are a lot of my friends,  we email and call each other. Coworkers Were the same way. The ones who are on FB, do it to keep in to her w/grandkids. 

This is is the only social media I do.  

Honored Contributor

I've only unfriended two people, and I probably shouldn't have done that now that I know I can just hide their posts from appearing.

But there have been a few times when I considered closing my Facebook account. My daughter did this a few years ago and doesn't miss it.  She is on Instagram and likes that better.  

Trusted Contributor

@Adamlambert wrote:

I have so many people from high school who are very,very religious and people from the military on mine, who are mainly narrow minded (don't agree with my values lol ). I have wealthy people who like to brag about their fancy house, car, etc. I have regular excoworkers who like to brag about all of their possessions. As much as I say don't, I still have friends that post pix of abused or dead animals. It's just depressing and getting on my nerves. Also the bashing of my political candidate. I respect opposite opinions when they are polite.  I mainly post animal pictures & am liberal for the most part (live and let live...if it doesn't impact my life I'm not judging). Any comments? Anyone else have these issues?  I don't argue or comment on things I don't agree with, just scroll.  I've just realized that these people from 20 years ago don't really matter.  

You can come sit next to me.  I could have written this post except for a few minor edits.  Like "these people from 50 years ago". 

Do you see posts threatening to unfriend you unless you post something lame to their wall and they claim to know just who won't cooperate?  It infuriates me.  Today someone is threatenting to unfriend anyone unless theysay I Hate Cancer or some such thing.  Go ahead unfriend me, we really weren't friends to begin with.  Stepping off soapbox.

Trusted Contributor

It took me a while to get used to FB.  I would unfriend people if I didn't care for their postings for whatever reason.  I don't do that anymore.  As someone else here mentioned, I Unfollow them.  But before I accept a Friend request, I check out their FB page and postings.  If it looks like we are total opposites, I delete the request.  So, most of my Friends and I have the same likes and dislikes, especially in politics.  My FB page is mostly politics and current events.  I am totally bored with photos and postings of pets, grandchildren, game requests, and personal stories.  To each his own.

Honored Contributor

@walkingal wrote:

It took me a while to get used to FB.  I would unfriend people if I didn't care for their postings for whatever reason.  I don't do that anymore.  As someone else here mentioned, I Unfollow them.  But before I accept a Friend request, I check out their FB page and postings.  If it looks like we are total opposites, I delete the request.  So, most of my Friends and I have the same likes and dislikes, especially in politics.  My FB page is mostly politics and current events.  I am totally bored with photos and postings of pets, grandchildren, game requests, and personal stories.  To each his own.

I only want to be on Facebook for reasons that are the opposite of yours. I like seeing the upbeat, positive posts of kids or pets.  

once someone starts making their Facebook postings about politics...those are the people I unfollow.....and it doesn't have anything to do with whether or not I agree with their views. 

Trusted Contributor

@walkingal wrote:

What is the FB etiquette for the number of times you are required to respond to pictures of grandchildren and children.  If I say  So Cute   Really Sweet   Lovely children/grandchildren/dog/cat/horse  ETC ETC ETC 10 times can I just hit the thumbs up button for the next 80 pictures and then totally ignore the pics going forward?  Is there a limit?

Honored Contributor

I don't know if some of your posts are serious or not...but I no longer take what's posted on Facebook very seriously. If I catch someone at a time when I see their posts and feel like "liking" them...I do.  Otherwise, it's not my responsibility to acknowledge everything they post.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JillyMarie wrote:

@walkingal wrote:

What is the FB etiquette for the number of times you are required to respond to pictures of grandchildren and children.  If I say  So Cute   Really Sweet   Lovely children/grandchildren/dog/cat/horse  ETC ETC ETC 10 times can I just hit the thumbs up button for the next 80 pictures and then totally ignore the pics going forward?  Is there a limit?

Yes, stop liking them immediately! If you Like them or comment on them, you're sending positive feedback not both Facebook and the person who posted them saying "I like this, show me more." Both Facebook and the posted respond by doing exactly that.

If you see something you don't like on Facebook, either mark it as something you don't want to see or do nothing. Commenting and Liking tell the system to find and show you more things like the thing you liked or commented on. People post WAY more than Facebook puts on your wall and your feedback tells it what to show you.

And if your friends get mad because you didn't like or comment on their pictures, just say you didn't see them and blame Facebook's algorithm. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I just unfollow someone if I don't like their posts. They don't know I did this, so no problems. I mostly like the Facebook posts from my towns parents page. Just the scoop and problems in my town. 

I have less than 30 friends. I just ignore friend requests. No problems with anything at all.