Esteemed Contributor

Re: Quitting Facebook for 2017

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

With all due respect to Facebook being what you make it, not necessarily true unless one of you can tell me how to control this.  

Facebook gives you suggestions about who to be friends with and I assume also to others to friend you.  I had a HUGE problem with that since a lot of those suggested people were customers of my employer.  They don't need to be directed to my personal FB page.

My only friends were family and one coworker who did enjoy friending everyone including her clients.  I figured that was where it was coming from since she and I were friends so I created a completely separate FB account under a new identity to stay completely private.  

It's less but I still get "suggestions" for people I do know who don't need to know me and personal life.  I have ZERO friends on that account and it's not in any way linked to the other.  I ended up giving up and deactivating it all.  

I don't like a social media platform digging associated strangers up and directing them to connect with me especially when I and they have no reason to be in each other's personal spaces.         

I guess I'm missing something here.  I can respect how you feel about this but no one can friend you without you accepting or confirming the friend request.  So it's not like people can just friend you without your knowledge or acceptance.

I get friend requests all the time from friends of friends, weird guys, etc.  I don't confirm them as friends.  Most of the time I actually delete their friend request. 

Do you not like the fact that you have to ignore them and they may be upset that you didn't accept their request?   

@Lipstickdiva  They aren't asking to be my friend.  Only a few have and I have ignored the request.  This is in the suggestion part where FB encourages you to get to know certain people.  FB even emails you at times and ask if you know certain people.  

There is a whole list of them and their pictures every time I would log on and in my email and I didn't like who FB was bringing up in my face.  I'm sure I'm popping up in these people's faces too and that was a huge no no for me since a lot of those people didn't need to know I have a FB page, period.  If I want to browse and look people up, that should be my choice and not FB's proactive duty.

FB also won't let me completely private things like photos and profiles.  That's a deal breaker for me when they are directing strangers I do know only superficially to what I'm doing privately.  It's too easy for people to browse/stalk your page without asking to be your friend and I was way too uncomfortable with that so out the door FB went.  

So just X them off I get them it is really not that big an issue. Unless you are friends with me, all you see on my home page is my wall photo and my pic. My photos, friends list are all blocked. And my friend list is blocked from my friends as well. You may want to check your security settings. 

I was just about to give the same advice.  My privacy settings are exactly what I want them to be.  I've been on Facebook for years, and have never once had any kind of problem.  It's always a good idea to set things up the way you want them to be.

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom  I did that but the damage was kind of done for me.  They had already shown these people I am online and potentially available to friend.  

It's my issue, not FB's, and I did have everything as private as I could make it but profile pics can't be privated as well as some other minor stuff and I just figured it wasn't worth it while I was working and FB was somehow pulling these people to my account.  

Your profile photo doesn't have to be a photo of you.  I have several friends who use photos of flowers - or their pet - or a sunset - or whatever.

I also have friends who use a variation of their real name.  One uses her first & middle name, no last name.  Another uses her real name, but with a slightly different spelling.  And one - who is a teacher and doesn't want to be put in the awkward position of receiving friend requests from students - uses her childhood nickname.  (Her friends know what that is, but her students would have no idea.)

I'm not trying to talk you into liking Facebook.  I'm just pointing out that there are easy ways around some of the issues that seem to have you concerned.

Esteemed Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

Facebook is a brag-fest.

That's all I read each morning as I check in to make sure "everyone's okay."

What you will never see or hear is how bad one looks "in the morning" .... the horrible fight a couple had to get to "that perfect beach resort" .... or hear about the child who just told their mom 'where to go' as they are posing for that perfect family portrait.   

I post nothing except newsworthy events--no one cares about my life or good fortune--only themselves--that's human nature.

Facebook is only a brag-fest if you have braggy friends.  What you described hasn't been my experience at all.  My friends and I laugh all the time about things that don't go perfectly in our lives.  We share good times & bad, great moments & awful ones.  Some of the best posts are about things going wrong, and everyone ends up having a good laugh over it.  Or someone being frustrated about something, and others comment in helpful ways.  My FB friends are truly my friends - I know them all, and I enjoy them all.  None of us try to present perfect images - We know that none of us are perfect people with perfect lives.

Again, as several of us here have said, a lot of the problem that some posters seem to have with FB is actually a problem with the people they have chosen to be their FB friends.

Honored Contributor

@shopper since 1989 wrote:

I must be in the minority - never joined.

My husband did, but gets very frustrated at some political opinions.

Plus he gets all these msgs to play games.

I like keeping in touch, the old fashion way, by making phone calls (and sometimes emails  Cat Happy)

Jean

he can tweak his settings to avoid that

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

The only status I have on my facebook page is, "married."  I don't have the city nor state where I live and my posts are, "only me."  

I block people who are obvious trolls on sires I post on.  There are people I know who I don't want to know of my facebook existence, I block them too.

Facebook has given us tools to use, avail yourself of them.

@MyGirlsMom  Doesn't work on the suggested friends list though.  I did that exact thing except I had no status, no friends, an assumed name, and everything ME only and it still suggested some of my employer's customers, family, etc. be my friend and (I assume) I theirs.  I think I was well disguised but you never know.  

I couldn't possibly block every single person in existence that I came into contact with on a professional  basis on the off chance that FB might recommend them to me and me to them.   They need an opt out of that in my opinion but they won't do it because it probably messes up their algorythms and subsequent targeted ad revenue if a vast quantity of FB users suddenly went private even to them.  

I actually googled this issue to see if it was just me and there are several articles of people being recommended their ex-stalkers, crazy boyfriends, people they had fallen out with and hadn't seen in years, etc.  And in each one, FB would not tell the journalists what criteria they use to pull those people from so that we can protect ourselves by not opting into things or using applications that might be driving it.  And for the record, I had zero contact imports and zero applications tied to FB.  I also used a spare never ever used email account.  I was as pure as you get and I still couldn't get away from it.    

My issue was really minor compared to someone who actually does have a real stalker on their hands and gets reintroduced via FB.  I just want everyone to be aware that it's not always user error which causes FB frustration.  It's the actual platform itself for a few of us.  Just be completely understanding of what you are using and how unprivate you really are if that is at all a concern for you.  

And it's not just FB.  I was shocked when I signed up for an IG account, again with a brand new email never used on FB or anywhere else.  My entire family came up as recommends to follow and I deleted it immediately.  It's frustrating not to be able to use what everyone else is enjoying without having your entire family along for the ride every time.     

This all sounds odd to me.  I'm not doubting you, please don't think that.  I just don't understand it.

I've been on IG for approximately 2 years, and I've never had a family member come up as recommended.  It certainly sounds as though something else is going on.  This is clearly not just a FB issue.  

You can make your IG private, btw.  And you can use any kind of name you want.  My name on IG has absolutely nothing to do with my real name.  Not for any real reason other than I was in a whimsical mood when I set it up.  But if you used a fake name, your family wouldn't know that it was you even if you showed up as recommended.

Honored Contributor

before the election I used a plugin to block any references to H and T which was great,

then I hid posts by just about all friends.

much better no politics

I use it now for a game I play and a swap/give away group in town

Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom  I did that but the damage was kind of done for me.  They had already shown these people I am online and potentially available to friend.  

It's my issue, not FB's, and I did have everything as private as I could make it but profile pics can't be privated as well as some other minor stuff and I just figured it wasn't worth it while I was working and FB was somehow pulling these people to my account.  

Your profile photo doesn't have to be a photo of you.  I have several friends who use photos of flowers - or their pet - or a sunset - or whatever.

I also have friends who use a variation of their real name.  One uses her first & middle name, no last name.  Another uses her real name, but with a slightly different spelling.  And one - who is a teacher and doesn't want to be put in the awkward position of receiving friend requests from students - uses her childhood nickname.  (Her friends know what that is, but her students would have no idea.)

I'm not trying to talk you into liking Facebook.  I'm just pointing out that there are easy ways around some of the issues that seem to have you concerned.

I was just going to suggest doing this.......

Respected Contributor

I'm on Facebook but I don't post very much and most of my friends don't post very much, so I don't have a big problem with it.  I don't enjoy anything political, so I just "hide" it.  Nobody is going to change anyone else's mind on that subject and I certainly don't want to lose a friend over it.  Some people post everything but that's not me, to each their own.  I have removed some friends from my news feed as they post way too much stuff and I'm just not interested in seeing it but I'm still friends with them.  

Honored Contributor

@JillyMarie wrote:

@walkingal wrote:

It took me a while to get used to FB.  I would unfriend people if I didn't care for their postings for whatever reason.  I don't do that anymore.  As someone else here mentioned, I Unfollow them.  But before I accept a Friend request, I check out their FB page and postings.  If it looks like we are total opposites, I delete the request.  So, most of my Friends and I have the same likes and dislikes, especially in politics.  My FB page is mostly politics and current events.  I am totally bored with photos and postings of pets, grandchildren, game requests, and personal stories.  To each his own.

What is the FB etiquette for the number of times you are required to respond to pictures of grandchildren and children.  If I say  So Cute   Really Sweet   Lovely children/grandchildren/dog/cat/horse  ETC ETC ETC 10 times can I just hit the thumbs up button for the next 80 pictures and then totally ignore the pics going forward?  Is there a limit?

ugh  the first time it's a like

after the 100th, then we go to the "unfollow" or "see fewer posts like this"

Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

I've not only unfriended people, I've blocked a few as well.

I have an extension I added called, "facebook purity."  You have the ability to block words, sites, people or set news stories to not run videos first when you visit their page.

I love Facebook purity too, it is the best thing.  :-)

the best part is that you can hide the "people you may know"