Honored Contributor

Re: Questions for those in apartments

Thank you everyone. 

Believe it or not, the application fee may only be $25-30.  It's the $150-200 admin fee on top of that which is BS.  Every apartment complex has one too here.  It's ridiculous.

Things have definitely changed.  It's good to hear that no one has had a real issue with the water sharing.  I don't like it but I can't find anyone who doesn't do it that way anymore around where I am. I wouldn't mind if they included water in the rent which is what I always had but this we'll send you a bill once we figure out everyone's share is a little spooky to me.  I'm not big on the trust factor.  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14...have you considered looking sightly outside your target area, things might be a big less expensive.

My step daughter is also looking for an apartment to rent...in our rural area, rent is high and there is little to choose from.

The cost of the rent is not in conjunction with wages....there have been many articles in our paper about this subject.

I hope you find something you like and are not 'apartment poor'.  I like having a little money in my pocket for fun things!

Respected Contributor

We have a friend who lives in senior housing (55+) because she assumed it would be nice and quiet. It was one of the features that was advertised when she moved into the place. The people upstairs of her have two grandchildren who they have over all the time. She said they are like a pack of elephants running around. She complained to the management. She was told, "People are entitled to have company." She is waiting for another apartment to open up so that she can change locations in the building...but you never know.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
A single water meter is the norm in my area, with water included in the price of rent. In fact, I manage a small apartment complex. We looked into potentially changing to separate meters and the cost was astronomical.
We also charge for applying. It is NOT a way to make money. Running a credit check costs money. The fee we charge doesn’t even cover the cost of my time.

The township my daughter lived in in NJ required certificates of occupancy when a new tenant went into the apartment and the tenant was responsible for the cost of it, it was a nominal fee.  The first complex she was in, you made the check out to the township and the managing agent filed the paper work.

Her second apartment was the same.  When the lease was up, she decided not to renew.  At the same time a new management company took over and now they tack on a $100 fee to file the paperwork.  No increase in the actual charge by the township, just management being greedy.  I seriously doubt they are traipsing over to the township every single time they get a new tenant in.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I pay the rent (which increased $25/month this year).  I pay my own utilities (gas and electric).  Also pay extra for my daughter's 9 lb. pooch.  All maintenance inside and outside is included in the rent.  I don't get a water bill, so I assume it is included in the rent. 

I live in NJ, where I believe the percentage limit increase is about 5-6% per year.  My increase was nowhere near that, and these apartments and the grounds are well maintained although nearly 30 years old.

Our only complaints are the appliances which are very low level, and the carpeting, also very low level.  I am on the verge of asking for a new washer and dryer.

As to privacy and quiet, there are only one bedroom and two bedroom apartments here, so it is an older neighborhood, although not advertised as a senior living complex.  We also have no one below us or above us.  There is a concrete wall between ours and the apartment next to ours, so it's very quiet.  Lots of trees (and squirrels). 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Laura14...have you considered looking sightly outside your target area, things might be a big less expensive.

My step daughter is also looking for an apartment to rent...in our rural area, rent is high and there is little to choose from.

The cost of the rent is not in conjunction with wages....there have been many articles in our paper about this subject.

I hope you find something you like and are not 'apartment poor'.  I like having a little money in my pocket for fun things!

@Mom2Dogs Yes. The problem is that the traffic even in the suburbs is horrendous which is why I hate this state so you'd give it up in gas and time. 

I am finding the exact same thing in the place I really want to move to.  It was eye opening to me how I used to be just fine renting a no frills apartment with a waitressing job 20 years ago.  Now, I'm not sure I would even get approved for any apartment  even with a full time $25,000 entry salary. 

It's really got me worried if I move and switch careers which is why I think I am deciding to stick it out one more year here with the old job to bank some more money towards my first house.   

Honored Contributor

There seems to be some confusion about water meters.

Yes, a complex will have one meter since the water bill is in the name of the complex.

In @Laura14 's case I'm reading that the ONE meter the city/town uses to bill the complex for water will be used by management to assess each individual apartment's share.

So the # of gallons per month on that one meter will be divided up among all the units; the issue is does everyone pay the same portion of # of gallons or are they billed by # of persons in the unit.

For complexes passing along a portion of the water bill, a separate monthly bill to each tenant. will be issued.

It depends upon how the lease is written; whether the tenant will receive a bill each month for his/her share of water or is water is included in the rent.

Individual water meters may not be the norm but are showing up more and more with newer construction.  It would cost a fortune for an established complex to install individual water meters; thus the complex uses some type of prorated  formula to recoup some of the cost of water.  Whether it is factored into the rent or issued as a separate monthly bill depends upon how the complex wants to handle the water bill.

Again, this is what happens in my area.

With increasing costs of a growing population I am not surprised to see complexes issuing separate monthly bills for water; the cost of providing water to everyone is soaring.  Evident by our water bill at our house.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Yes, a complex will have one meter since the water bill is in the name of the complex.

In @Laura14 's case I'm reading that the ONE meter the city/town uses to bill the complex for water will be used by management to assess each individual apartment's share.

So the # of gallons per month on that one meter will be divided up among all the units; the issue is does everyone pay the same portion of # of gallons or are they billed by # of persons in the unit.

For complexes passing along a portion of the water bill, a separate monthly bill to each tenant. will be issued.

It depends upon how the lease is written; whether the tenant will receive a bill each month for his/her share of water or is water is included in the rent.

Individual water meters may not be the norm but are showing up more and more with newer construction.  It would cost a fortune for an established complex to install individual water meters; thus the complex uses some type of prorated  formula to recoup some of the cost of water.  Whether it is factored into the rent or issued as a separate monthly bill depends upon how the complex wants to handle the water bill.

With increasing costs of a growing population I am not surprised to see complexes issuing separate monthly bills for water; the cost of providing water to everyone is soaring.  Evident by our water bill at our house.

Separate monthly bills seldom work, people just don't pay them.  They cannot evict because you didn't pay the water bill and it is in the complex name so you are not responsible.  Most places around me simply itemize the monthly chargers on the lease.  It is a set amount for the life of your lease.  Makes the rent look lower

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Separate monthly bills seldom work, people just don't pay them.  They cannot evict because you didn't pay the water bill and it is in the complex name so you are not responsible.  Most places around me simply itemize the monthly chargers on the lease.  It is a set amount for the life of your lease.  Makes the rent look lower

@CrazyDaisy  If it is outlined in the lease then the tenant has to pay and will be reflected on his/her credit report, to start, if they let those bills lapse. 

I never said a word about eviction, either.

Again, this is what happens in MY area which I have clearly indicated each time I post about this issue.

Everyone has a different story; and I'm not going to keep going around with this-your area is not my area.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Mom2Dogs Yes. The problem is that the traffic even in the suburbs is horrendous which is why I hate this state so you'd give it up in gas and time. 

I am finding the exact same thing in the place I really want to move to.  It was eye opening to me how I used to be just fine renting a no frills apartment with a waitressing job 20 years ago.  Now, I'm not sure I would even get approved for any apartment  even with a full time $25,000 entry salary. 

It's really got me worried if I move and switch careers which is why I think I am deciding to stick it out one more year here with the old job to bank some more money towards my first house.   

@Laura14 you never know, they may just up the security deposit.