Honored Contributor

Re: Questions for those in apartments

@Laura14 wrote:

Thanks @CinNC!! 

I do have to say the pictures I am seeing of apartments nowadays, wow are they nicer than what I had 20 years ago.  Dishwashers and nice refrigerators and hardwood floors with the patios screened in....they look nice.  We'll see in person.  

@Laura14

That was something else my sister had to adjust to...she went from fully carpeted hardwood floors and carpet only in the bedroom. She thought it would be easier to clean just get a swifter or dust mop she said it takes her twice as long to clean the dust from the vents is ridiculous....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ  I wish I could find you around me.  Thank you for being a good landlord!

@ccassaday  Absolutely.  I know there are laundry hookups if the washer/dryer aren't there.  I want to say in every apartment that had hookups the machines were already in place.  I HATED group laundry.  Never enough machines and inconsiderate people.  I found myself a laundromat and did that during the time I rented without one in unit.  

Honored Contributor

@Spurt  Yeah I've never really seen hardwood in apartments before.  I would think that would be noisy especially from the apartments above you if they don't get throw rugs.

I personally like carpet but the house I live in now has exactly your sister's set up.  I have to say I don't clean the floors as often with the hardwood but then it's not group living with the vents and dust like she has.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14  I was a tenant myself for 5 years.I know what it’s like.I could never be a “slum lord”.

Good luck 👍!! 

Respected Contributor

In NYC pay rent by check, pay for gas and electric and cable separately. No parking .

It varies greatly on area where it is and specific development.

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:

I may be looking for an apartment within the next month or so if my house is purchased by a flipping group. This would be the first time I would be renting. I would prefer a private owner because they usually tend to cover water and sewer, and some will also do snow removal and grass cutting if the property has a yard. I'm trying to avoid yard maintenance and snow removal because it will be just me, have no pets.

I used to work for a non-profit that housed the homeless in an apartment complex and we also did regular rentals so I have some knowledge of costs, rules & regulations, but when you're doing it yourself, it's quite different. 

@Cumbercookie13  I have never done a private owner.  My only concern with that is you need to have a responsible one.  Watch me get the lone person who doesn't respond to maintenance calls when needed.  I can see my episode of Judge Judy now.  I wonder if there is a way to vet them as well as they do us.  

@Laura14 That would probably be me too. My luck is not that great. There are also condo options, but the ones in my town are anywhere from 1200-1500 a month, and that's just for rent. They are really nice though, but that's out of my price range unless I got a roommate, and I've been living on my own for so long I don't think I want another person around! Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

High five @Cumbercookie13!! 

I stopped with roommates in college after a horror story there and never again.  I'm running into the same thing and price range here which is why I'm looking to do the same old same old from back in the day.

Good luck to us both!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Laura14

Are you looking for an apartment as a permanent place or a temporary fill-in before purchasing another home?

If the latter, you might also consider an "executive suite" temporary situation, or a long-term AirBNB.

If permanent, disregard my suggestion since you've had a lot of good ideas provided here already.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Be aware if there are kids above you, it may be noisy. My daughter and her son rent a duplex, side by side where they share a common wall, and where the common wall is they can hear the neighbors kids running up and down the stairs, it isn't super loud, but you can hear it. She said it was still better than having kids above you running and jumping....

So just be cautious as to who will live above you if you can.....Especially if you are used to peace and quiet.....

Anyway she pays 125.00 more for her duplex, but she is gaining more space plus her own small yard and a garage. She pays all her own utilities.... 

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Laura14

Are you looking for an apartment as a permanent place or a temporary fill-in before purchasing another home?

If the latter, you might also consider an "executive suite" temporary situation, or a long-term AirBNB.

If permanent, disregard my suggestion since you've had a lot of good ideas provided here already.

@GingerPeach  Completely temporary as I just can't stay where I am anymore.  Too much family drama. 

I have looked into moving far away as I do not want to live in the state I am and just start over in all aspects but someone gave me some really good advice.  They told me to give myself a year before making any major life decisions so I am willing to commit to a one year lease.