Trusted Contributor

Re: Questions for those in apartments

I'm pretty lucky. Heat and hot water is included in the rent. This is getting rare here. So I just pay for electric and cable. Trash is inlcuded. We only have parking lots so no garage fees.

I do know someone that lives in a complex that does the water charge. I have to say I found that really odd. I think that's unusual around here or maybe newer places are starting that. They do get cable through Verizon Fios included but it's the lesser package so you have to pay extra if you want more.

Trash fees seem weird to me. I would think that would just be rolled into the rent.

I suppose doing all of the breakdown is really just being more transparent but I'd rather just get the flat amount. The only extras I normally expect to pay are electric, maybe heat and cable/internet. Stuff that I can personally control.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

@Spurt  Thanks!  I found a review site for apartments along with Google and Yelp that I am taking as many comments as I can get.  Eliminated quite a few that way.

A DNA fee?  Do they swab the dog's mouth?  I don't have pets anymore but good for the apartment complexes obviously policing the people who can't be bothered to bend over and pick their pet's mess.  That must be expensive for them to enforce.  I wonder if it's just a show. 

I did have a dog and no one ever heard her or cleaned up after her except the one who loved her.   

@Laura14

I dont know if they get DNA from a stool sample or mouth swab, since she had an indoor cat the DNA didnt apply....Boy I wish my COA required that because I have neighbors that dont pick up after their dogs and guess where they walk them to do their business...And numerous letters and emails have been sent advising them of city ordinances and COA rules...but they ignore it!

Read those reviews---GOOD LUCK!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pigletsmom  You and me both!  Brave new world out there now.  

@Spurt  Don't get me started.  The place I left in PA went down hill really fast and I actually started finding it on the inside stairs.  I mean come on!  Plastic bag given free every time you hit the supermarket.  Bend over and pick it up or don't have an animal.  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14

One of my co-workers used to live in a place near the office that was designed more like a townhouse...she told us they did have one common meter for electric and divided the bill into how many apartments were rented....She hated it because she saw her neighbors that had kids leave their sliding glass door open in the middle of summer which ran up everyone's bill, while she put her thermostat at 78 and tried to conserve.  She got tired of the high utility bills and moved.  Even though her commute was a bit longer she saved a lot on her electric bill...........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

Even though our water bill was divided by the nimvber of apartments in that building it was always consistent around the same amount. I don’t think you really have to worry much about subsidizing some ones water usage. Also if they do run sprinkler systems to keep the complex nice the tenants should share in that cost.

Thank you again @ccassaday.  That was honestly one of my biggest concerns.  I don't want sky high bills in summer and then reasonable ones during other parts of the year based on someone else's usage.  Consistent is what I am going for since I'm on a budget.  Glad to know it's out there even with this new math.     

We rented from August until Feb. I can ask and find out but I believe the water bill was the same in August as it was in the winter months. I will find out for you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Laura14 - I think a lot of it depends on the complex and the managing company.

My daughters first apartment in NJ included everything - trash, water and heat.  She was responsible for the electric, the air conditioning and cable.

The next one she rented included nothing in the rent.

Both times there was a monthly rent charge for her cat and the pet deposit was non-refundable.

@CelticCrafter

One of my friend's apartment complex charged a $15 pet fee....she was mad because she had a cat that was strictly an inside kitty and she had to pay the fee which was primarily to stock bags for dog owners to pick up after their dogs....so she said is someone going to clean my cat's litter box I need to get something for my $15 extra a month....they rolled their eyes....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

Even though our water bill was divided by the nimvber of apartments in that building it was always consistent around the same amount. I don’t think you really have to worry much about subsidizing some ones water usage. Also if they do run sprinkler systems to keep the complex nice the tenants should share in that cost.

Thank you again @ccassaday.  That was honestly one of my biggest concerns.  I don't want sky high bills in summer and then reasonable ones during other parts of the year based on someone else's usage.  Consistent is what I am going for since I'm on a budget.  Glad to know it's out there even with this new math.     

We rented from August until Feb. I can ask and find out but I believe the water bill was the same in August as it was in the winter months. I will find out for you.

@ccassaday  Wow you don't have to do that.  I was just wondering if anyone had had the pleasure yet. 

I know the kids today don't understand there used to be a different way and I just wanted to be sure that someone in my age bracket had the new experience and thought it was a fair practice.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

Thank you both.  That's helpful.  I was wondering about how much I should budget extra over the rent cost. 

No pets so I am knocking those fees off.  There is no such thing as no pets around me but as far as I can tell that's not a group fee.  

Would you believe I found one complex around me that seems like it bills $35 a month for your parking spot?  This is not NYC or even a walking area.   Not even in public transportation.  That one got me which is why I am wondering what other creativity is out there.  

@Laura14

When I went around with my sister some of the apartment had absolutely no storage space other than a small bedroom closet and a tiny pantry....but you can add a storage unit that you have to travel a ways too for a charge of $96...its ridiculous....and if you want a covered parking spot thats $20 extra too....These places get you coming and going...

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I stopped renting about 2 years ago when my work situation changed and now live w/my boyfriend. 

Lived in Charlotte NC and rented from the same complex for almost 10 years. Lots of changes in that time as the complex was sold several times. 

It was in a fairly nice area - my rent started at $735 month in 2002 and was around $900+ a month in 2016. We had a trash fee initially (walk your trash to the city-provided dumpsters), then they went to valet trash pickup outside our doors for an additional $25 a month in the last 2 years - the dumpster fee was reduced. Our water bills were per untit and each unit had it's own meter. I think the last year they also added a fee for pest control. No charge for parking. And I paid the electric company directly. 

My unit was 935 square feet, on a second floor. When I started renting it was considered a 1 bedroom plus den. Now they are marketed as 2 bedrooms.  The apartments have been upgraded to include washer/dryers and microwaves.

The biggest issue was with the maintenance staff and my heating unit ....it got replaced once, worked well for a year, and then had to be serviced several times a year. And my hot water heater broke - I think they were trying to fix it w/parts from other heaters...finally after 3-4 times, it was replaced. 

Good luck w/your search!

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Laura14

One of my co-workers used to live in a place near the office that was designed more like a townhouse...she told us they did have one common meter for electric and divided the bill into how many apartments were rented....She hated it because she saw her neighbors that had kids leave their sliding glass door open in the middle of summer which ran up everyone's bill, while she put her thermostat at 78 and tried to conserve.  She got tired of the high utility bills and moved.  Even though her commute was a bit longer she saved a lot on her electric bill...........

@Spurt  And there is my fear, right there.  I'm hoping the one bedroom apartments don't really have the kids (they usually don't) and they run up the 2 and 3 bedroom rentals instead.