Respected Contributor

Re: Questions About Convict & Dead Deputy

[ Edited ]

I agree with everyone here and my personal thoughts are, that contrary to what a lot of folks may think, prisons are run by the criminals and not the law enforcement inside. I work with a woman who used to be a counselor at one of the state prisons here.  Let me just say, information from her is that the guards do become extremely friendly with prisoners, favors are passed along, money is exchanged and passed onto family members on the "outside", narcotics are brought in, guards are threatened and remember, many of the convicted have nothing to lose because they are lifers.  While this woman always had a guard present or visible during sessions, she was always on high alert because she never knew what might happen - hence the reason she left.

Also, we used have inmates from local county jails performing grounds keeping tasks at the business where I work. Why? Because it's free labor.  While employees were instructed NOT to fraternize, it happened. Before you knew it, some women employees were flirting with some of the male inmates and were married after their release. It did not turn out well for the women.  After a few bad incidences on the grounds, the landscaping services had to come to a stop. 

This woman had everything to lose and nothing to gain. I don't know who coined the phrase love is blind, but they were dead on correct.

Honored Contributor

When I first heard she did this on her last day before retirement and selling her home earlier, I knew she thought that they must be sooo in love with each other.  Of course she was blind to the truth of the whole thing.  I really thought he would end up killing her when he tired of her and she was of no more use to him.   I was not expecting her to take her own life.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

I agree with everyone here and my personal thoughts are, that contrary to what a lot of folks may think, prisons are run by the criminals and not the law enforcement inside. I work with a woman who used to be a counselor at one of the state prisons here.  Let me just say, information from her is that the guards do become extremely friendly with prisoners, favors are passed along, money is exchanged and passed onto family members on the "outside", narcotics are brought in, guards are threatened and remember, many of the convicted have nothing to lose because they are lifers.  While this woman always had a guard present or visible during sessions, she was always on high alert because she never knew what might happen - hence the reason she left.

Also, we used have inmates from local county jails performing grounds keeping tasks at the business where I work. Why? Because it's free labor.  While employees were instructed NOT to fraternize, it happened. Before you knew it, some women employees were flirting with some of the male inmates and were married after their release. It did not turn out well for the women.  After a few bad incidences on the grounds, the landscaping services had to come to a stop. 

This woman had everything to lose and nothing to gain. I don't know who coined the phrase love is blind, but they were dead on correct.

@bmorechick  I'm sure that's true in some prisons however I have a relative who is a guard in Federal Prison and it's not true there. It is a small prison though.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ  Yes, I do believe that may be the case at times as Fed prisons supposedly  tend to be like the country clubs of incarceration and there's less overcrowding, hence better conditions, food, etc.  Maybe it's easier to police the inmates?

Esteemed Contributor

Something just popped in my old head.  He was going for a mental health evaluation. They did not say hearing. 

Why couldn't just an evaluation be done at the jail.  I assume it would be a mental health professional and just a private room would be needed.

It still boggles my mind no one checked to see if there was an actual court date.hg

Esteemed Contributor

I can see this happening. Much like catfishing we see all the time. This inmate probably said all the right things. Vicki White probably felt beautiful, and desirable, and loved the attention, so she lost the censors we are born with to protect ourselves. She wasn't going to lose this feeling or man even though it cost her everything. Very sad.

Honored Contributor

The Sheriff put out a statement saying that until Vicky's autopsy is completed today, they won't know whether Vicky shot herself of if Casey shot her.

He also said that the first words Casey said to the Marshals when they approached the wreck vehicle was, "Help my wife, she shot herself".

Guilty dog barks first???

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  Yes, I do believe that may be the case at times as Fed prisons supposedly  tend to be like the country clubs of incarceration and there's less overcrowding, hence better conditions, food, etc.  Maybe it's easier to police the inmates?

@bmorechick  Not too country clubbish. Kitchen knives are attached to sturdy chains so the prisoner can chop and not stab anyone.

Respected Contributor

She was the boss of the folks that released him to her, they didnt' want to defy their boss most likely.

Honored Contributor

Those in charge were interviewed early on and have said that she never should have been transporting this guy alone. That never should have happened from a safety perspective.