Esteemed Contributor

Questions About Convict & Dead Deputy

First, it was always going to end badly, my questions are,

1.  She was transporting him to Court for a supposed evaluation. There was no Court date. Does no one at the jail verify this stuff and just let people waltz out.

2. He was freaking 6' 9" and 300 lbs. Yeah, let's one lone woman take the convicted murderer in her car. That guy could take on 2 grown men.  Is it custom for one deputy to transport a murderer especially one his size?

Is the jail run on the honor system?

Respected Contributor

Re: Questions About Convict & Dead Deputy

My thoughts, too. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2,

I totally agree with you also! To do this one day before retiring? The sheriff claims she was an exemplary employee, so, maybe they just had no reason to not trust her? 

Afterall, she carried on with him for two years, did no one ever notice anything?

Esteemed Contributor

@meallen616   I understand they trusted her, I am questioning it from a safety position. 

Respected Contributor

I did read the policy was that two officers were required for transport of an inmate as in this case. Obviously there's no real check system in place to make sure that happens. But she chose all of this. If not for her it wouldn't have happened. I'm just glad no one else was hurt or killed.

Trusted Contributor

There had to be more people involved. At least some of the other COs knew about her involvement with him but said nothing. Could be that one or more of them helped her out. This situation is why women should never be COs or even civilian employees in a men's prison. 

Esteemed Contributor

I can't believe one deputy man or woman would transport an inmate. There are a lot of questions that need to be answered. 

Honored Contributor

How miserable and depressed was this woman to throw everything in her life away for a man?  A prisoner no less.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

How miserable and depressed was this woman to throw everything in her life away for a man?  A prisoner no less.

@tansy  Love Is Blind. Especially in this case.

Esteemed Contributor

It should not have happened but they planned it. She was trusted and she banked on that. By the videos I’ve seen, there didn’t seem to be many people around. Tho the protocol requires two guards, she broke protocol & no one stopped her because the breakout occurred during a time when staffing was low???? Sad how she was an exemplary employee & developed a “relationship” with a murderer. She must of been a sad lonely person.