Regular Contributor

Re: Question- sweet taste in mouth-anyone experience this?

@dennylilly wrote:

First of all i WILL go to the doctor. I am always told to go to the doctor when I ask questions about health things.  I am trying to get information from anyone who may have experienced this and also a clue to how urgent it is.  I just noticed this yesterday and went on Google and freaked myself out.  I feel perfectly fine otherwise -but have been having more headaches than usual- and no i did not go to the dr about them because they were not excruciating and they came and went and I really think it might be weather related as our weather is crazy here like in alot of the country.  I am almost 60 years old and don't want to run to the dr every time i have an ache or pain, because i woud be ther e ALOT.  I have also been in menopause and having all the fun symptoms for 11 years so when things happen i attribute it to that.  I get hot flashes that almost make me feel sick.

Just wanted to give that background to alleviate everyone telling me to go to the dr.  I want to know if anyone has had this weird taste in the mouth thing and what was your story.  Google said sinus or colds could be the cause and i'm thinking maybe my headache are from sinus (though i have none of the usual sinus symptoms) and that would explain it.

Thanks for reading this long post and any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE: now today I think it is more of a salty taste and is my saliva.  when I drink water it doesnt taste sweet or salty -it tastes normal  I know I need to go to the dr but I amstill trying to figure out what to tell her is wrong and also hoping its my imagination or it goes away.... I know....im chicken but i WILL do the right thing....soon....

Honored Contributor

That is because you are the source of the taste, and not the food you are eating. That is a good thing to mention to your Dr. @dennylilly 

Honored Contributor

And THIS is why it is a very BAD for somone to ask ladies who buy clothes and handbags on a shopping site for medical advice.  She wouldn't even get anything from Google because her symptom could be anything...or nothing.  Even a doctor can't diagnose "sweet taste in mouth" without an exam and a workup.  

Regular Contributor

I’m not asking for a diagnosis from”ladies who buy clothes and handbags on a shopping site” I’m asking if anyone had a similar experience and maybe some insight on what it might be. Feel free to not post if you can’t be kind.
Honored Contributor

I am sorry if you thought my remark was unkind. I didn't intend it to be

Regular Contributor

I’m sorry that I took it wrong
Honored Contributor

It might help your Dr to know ,it isn't coming from what you are eating, it is something amiss in your system

When my gastritis started, I would wake in the morning with a metallic taste in my mouth

Seeing as you do have  gastric problems already, if you haven't had one as of yet, they might do a  test where they run a small camera down your throat into your stomach. It is called an endoscopy

Don't be frightened, I had this done, and it is painless ,you will be asleep. They will take a look around ,and take a couple of small samples of tissue, to make sure you don't have something like h-pylori. If you have that , they will put you on antibiotics

You might chat with him about your diabetes meds. Metformin is very hard on your stomach and many people have trouble with it. I did after taking it many years. I am now on Januvia, and am a lot better, almost well

Regular Contributor

I have had a endoscopy so I am glad it won’t hurt. I’m not on metformin any more. I have been having sinus type headaches but not severe. I may have already said that. Sinus issues can mess with taste but since I can still smell food and taste it I’m afraid that’s not it. I’m hoping it is though ...
Regular Contributor

I just Realized I didn’t mean to respond to you I was responding to another poster about the unkind comment. Sorry about the mixup. I’m on my phone and it’s doing weird things
Honored Contributor

Good luck @dennylilly  and don't wait too long to see your Dr. I started having intense pain ,and burning in my stomach ,and I was so miserable