Trusted Contributor

Re: Question regarding an Etsy Shop purchase.

I've had this happen to me twice, and Etsy was the party that closed the shop.  I received immediate refunds, but I never use PayPal on that site.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

I'm an Etsy seller and have been on Etsy for ten years (as of this month!).  I think it's a disgrace when I hear of other sellers & shops that don't follow through with their obligations to their customers. 

However yes things do happen...once I had to go to the ER but I had my DH bring me my phone when he could so I could communicate with my customers.  At the very least a seller should do their best to communicate with their customers.  I find that a little communication goes a long way.

Since the shop is now closed and of course you want your money back I would call Paypal and explain what happened.  See what they will do for you to get your money back.

Respected Contributor

I would say let Etsy handle it and yes, contact PayPal if they don't.

Things happen and it's possible your Etsy seller is dealing with some difficult real life issues that have taken her away from her or his shop. But that's no excuse for not apologizing to you for not getting your order to you and returning your money.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never had a problem with Etsy purchases.  In fact, one of the Etsy sellers I dealt with is in Canada and I liked the fact she warned delivery may take a day or extra coming from Canada, but I got my purchase promptly in fact more promptly than some of my QVC purchases...LOL 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I'm an Etsy seller and have been on Etsy for ten years (as of this month!).  I think it's a disgrace when I hear of other sellers & shops that don't follow through with their obligations to their customers. 

However yes things do happen...once I had to go to the ER but I had my DH bring me my phone when he could so I could communicate with my customers.  At the very least a seller should do their best to communicate with their customers.  I find that a little communication goes a long way.

Since the shop is now closed and of course you want your money back I would call Paypal and explain what happened.  See what they will do for you to get your money back.

@haddon9, since you are an Etsy seller I appreciate your input regarding how the sellers need to stay in touch with their buyers and let them know if there is a problem.

I don't like to think bad about this particular seller but it sure seems like she doesn't care since she had from March 20th to now April 16th to let me know what was going on.  

Respected Contributor

I would like to thank all of you who took the time to respond to my question.   I never thought I would receive so many replies.  It makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one who ever had a problem with an Etsy seller.   

I guess that is the chance you take when you purchase anything from an online shop. Although as I said before in my original post I purchase many items from both Etsy and Ebay and various other websites and this is the first time I have had any type of problem.

Once this issue is settled and I receive either my item or a refund I will post again and let everyone know the outcome.   

Respected Contributor

I am reviving this thread because I wanted to let everyone know how my issue with this Etsy seller was resolved.  

Etsy made a few attempts to contact her to try and get me a refund.  When she failed to response to them they gave her two days to issue my refund or show proof that she mailed the item to me.    She was told if she did not do that they would issue me the refund and she would have those charges on her account.   

Etsy told me that although she closed her shop her account with them was still open.  

I just received an email from Etsy stating that they have issued me a refund and it has already been posted to my PayPal account.  

I am really sorry that I had to go that route because I liked the Etsy seller.  I want to believe that she just got in over her head and was unable to take care of her obligations.

I gave her every chance to contact me and I would have worked with her.   I hate to make problems for people but she left me no choice.    

I was very pleased with how Etsy handled everything.   I certainly will continue to purchase from my other favorite sellers because I've never had any issues with any of the other shops.     

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl  I'm glad to know how Etsy resolved this for you.  I've never had a problem with Etsy, but I have wondered how it would be handled if I ever did.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

@pugvette74 wrote:

Best to open a case with PayPal. That's what I had to do, they will help you. Etsy can't get your money back but PayPal will...

Huh?  Etsy does indeed get your money back if you paid through them.  That's why I never use PayPal unless I absolutely have to.  

Read @haddon9 maybe you will understand from an Etsy seller.