Honored Contributor

Re: Question on how to say no.

@blackhole99 wrote:

If I were home all day and was asked to help out with the dogs I would, simply because I love animals and wouldn't want them to suffer if I could help out. Maybe you could do 3 days and your boyfriend could do the other 2 days and the dogs would be taken care of as they should be 5 days a week. Hopefully the owners pamper the dogs on the weekend.

I don't think that is the point, the owners are taking advantage of the OP.

they are their dogs and the dog owners should be arranging for the daily care of their own dogs, not assuming that someone else can be availble at the drop of a hat to run over whenever.

They are being irresponsible

Respected Contributor

When somebody asks me, "Will You Do Me a Favor?" ...I always say, "If I can." That gives me an out. I also never give an immediate response. I always say, "Let me think about it and get back to you on that."

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

You said you work from home, I assume that means you aren't 13 years old.  You are a grown woman, so please act like one.  You did a good job of explaining  to us why you don't want to continue with this dog thing.   Don't wait until they ask again.  Yes, back to being an adult...lol   Call them or visit and explain that since you are working from home, going over to their place to attend to their dogs has become problematic and you will not be able to do it anymore.  Throw in a sorry or two.  You are not a terrible person and those people are taking advantage of you.  It's their dog.  Let them hire a dog walker or put the dogs in doggie daycare or do whatever they want with the dogs.  Not your problem.  But, keep it simple.  DO NOT criticize their dogs behavior even mention anything like that. That's irrlevant.  The point is you don't want to do it anymore.  If your boyfriend thinks it's so awful, let him do it.  Yes, that is what you should say to him.

@chrystaltree   @temptations fan

ITA, with one question ......

WHY don't these people have a doggie door?    Who in their right mind  has dogs without having a doggie door?

@Tinkrbl44  That's a good idea except I got the impression they don't have a fence around the backyard (the one dog that strays into neighbor's yard).

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@blackhole99 wrote:

If I were home all day and was asked to help out with the dogs I would, simply because I love animals and wouldn't want them to suffer if I could help out. Maybe you could do 3 days and your boyfriend could do the other 2 days and the dogs would be taken care of as they should be 5 days a week. Hopefully the owners pamper the dogs on the weekend.

@blackhole99

Please keep in mind that just because someone works from home, they are NOT in leisure mode all day.  

This is a huge problem for people who work from home .. others think they are at their disposal because "they are at home all day".  

Respected Contributor

Just say no. They are not your pets. I love animals too but it's not someone else's responsibility to look after mine.

I had to tell my aunt no. She had 3 cats and would want to go on vacation for weeks at a time. I said yes twice, after that no. She lives 10 miles from me. Not my problem.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@temptations fan

(thread title)?

I am one that spares no words. Someone asks me to do something I don't want to do? Instant reply from me is NO.

My wife owns her own Pet Sitting Business. The money she makes is not charity work, she gets $$.

I don't get why so many people have a problem telling others, including family and friends, the word NO, and would rather " Spin" their answers.  SPEAK UP, SAY NO.

hckynut(john)

Because, as women, we generally don't want to "hurt the other person's feelings", or come across as "rude", or have the other person be "upset" with us, or to "offend" the other person.

We want to be perceived as nice, and as a good person, and not as a "B".

Waaaaait a minute.....you told another poster earlier something like......

'Let's put you in a room with no toilet and see if you can hold it for 10 hours'.

Were you being nice???

Point is, most women are afraid of being thought of as a B.

Me?

I own it.

Ever notice how men aren't afraid to speak their minds, and if the other person is offended, oh well?

Maybe if more women acted like men in that aspect, they wouldn't have as many problems that they do.

Trusted Contributor

Love all the responses.  It appears that the predatory class is at it again.  Not with the posters, well thought out responses for the most part.  I am referring to those that always seem to take advantage of the good hearted souls that live among us.  Invariably they always seem to be able to correctly identify those people. Perhaps the OP would feel differently if she or he felt appreciated,  A favor for a favor.  Reciprocity.  If that is not possible, a gift card t a fav restaurant.  Something.  Anything too diminish the appearance that the dog owners are just users. Sigh.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  I guess I do feel that way because my son works from home and has made time to help me out so many times, not just for a half hour or so , but doctors appointments and out patient surgeries that took hours. I think once the OP agreed to do the favor the first time, it was a given that the dog people would hope she felt bad enough for the dogs to do it on a regular basis. If it was me in that situation, because I love animals so much I would look at it as a break from my work everyday and I'd be also doing a good thing. Of course the OP isn't me and she's gonna do what she's gonna do.