Respected Contributor

If this were true the highest earners in the country would not be making the record profits that they are. The reason B&M stores are closing is that less expenditures result in higher profits for those for whom it is never enough. Internet commerce is more cost efficient.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

Hi @KentuckyWoman! I think in some areas-especially those that suffer through winter, people will still want to get out-and if nothing else, go to the mall just to go out....

In the mean time, there is actually a show on Vice that is cataloging abandoned malls and the impacts their abandonment has had on the immediate areas they were in....that is shocking to me....I'm in shock however, by the number of stores we grew up with that are in danger of extinction.

I still remember the first December after the Crash, stores were slashing prices-but that wasn't a new thing because right after the Crash they started doing that in an effort to move merchandise.

A number of economists were saying that retail may never again be what it once was, because with everything in every store being discounted, there was a new mind set for shoppers: never pay full price-again....I think we became more savvy about wholesale prices and retail markup.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

I've always been somewhat cautious with my spending, so I haven't made any changes.  Not to say I don't pretty much buy what I want, but I always know where I stand financially and stay within my means.

Honored Contributor

I'm finding that as I mature I need fewer new things in my life.  A majority of my funds go towards services instead of goods.

Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Cheaper than dirt and proud of it.  Every time my statements come in monthly or quarterly for accts. ect...... I just smile and snuggle back on the couch with a library book.  When I get the urge to spend $$ I just think of the all the junk I threw away over the years that I thought I so needed and of course did not.  Debt free is  a wonderful feeling I will not give up for a new handbag.

@beckyb1012 - I am right there with you - today a woman on line said she had 48 Dooney bags - what do you do with 48 Dooney bags?  I would feel such guilt knowing there are people in the world starving!  Yes, I wish I had every penny I spent at the Q!  I don't even carry a credit card. 

Respected Contributor

The answer can be found by looking up consumer spending data. I did that and found a chart that summarizes the data from 2009-2016.. The are ups and downs, of course, but overall, consumer spending hasn't changed much over the past few years.

The data can be found here:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-01/u-s-consumers-spend-less-than-forecast-as-inflati...

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I'm finding that as I mature I need fewer new things in my life.  A majority of my funds go towards services instead of goods.

That is very true.

Respected Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Hi @KentuckyWoman! I think in some areas-especially those that suffer through winter, people will still want to get out-and if nothing else, go to the mall just to go out....

In the mean time, there is actually a show on Vice that is cataloging abandoned malls and the impacts their abandonment has had on the immediate areas they were in....that is shocking to me....I'm in shock however, by the number of stores we grew up with that are in danger of extinction.

I still remember the first December after the Crash, stores were slashing prices-but that wasn't a new thing because right after the Crash they started doing that in an effort to move merchandise.

A number of economists were saying that retail may never again be what it once was, because with everything in every store being discounted, there was a new mind set for shoppers: never pay full price-again....I think we became more savvy about wholesale prices and retail markup.

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2  Nothing is forever.  In my area, we have lost two smallish malls in the past twelve years so I do think the times are changing.  I remember when I was a little girl, my mom and her sisiters would dress to the nines and go shopping in the downtown areas of Cincinnati, Lexington, and Louisville.  Those days are long gone and no doubt malls wlll follow suit.  I do love a good bargain but I also like to see it and touch it before I buy it at times.  But all too often the online deals are better.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question of the day...

[ Edited ]

@hoosieroriginalI guess I am somewhat guilty of spending but not big time.  I bought a printer finally but got a great deal at QVC.  i bought a few tops for spring and a pair of shoes and a new eyelash curler by Charolette Tilbury, oh and some succulent plants in pots from Pottery Barn (artificial) so all I have to do is dust.  But, I will not continue at this pace.  I have enough tops now and shoes.  I am not sure why so many places are closing stores and completely closing down (The Limited)  -- it's not pretty because more people are out of work.  i wonder what the percentage is for Unemployment.

HeartCat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: Question of the day...

[ Edited ]

I try to be frugal and put some away for a rainy day and pretty much stick to a budget, but I just saw a news story which talked about how little people are saving, many not at all...and most seem to be living from pay check to pay check...............

I think people are looking for the best deals, and they are also looking at the basics ---food, housing, utilities, insurance of all kinds which seems to be going up on their prices, cars are more and more expensive.................Also, I think people are focusing more on electronics TV's, smartphones, electronic assistants (Alexi and Siri), and less money on expensive clothes, shoes, purses,going for the cheaper brands....less money spent on jewelry etc etc.....JMHO

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”