Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@hoosieroriginal@  wrote:

Unemployement doesnt even give a true picture anymore....I know and have read where quite a few people in our area  who lost jobs because their company closed or company downsized and layed off people, but the only jobs they find are part-time ones, so they are working 2 jobs (in a couple cases 3) and still dont make the money nor do they have the benefits of a good full time job ---  so that may look good as far as the unemployment statistics that jobs are filled, but misleading as far the standard of living....Also some people are dropping out of the work force all together and just relying on assistance programs, or kids are moving back in with their parents, with grandkids in tow....while the parents support them.....

You are so right about not getting the true picture from unemployment.  If you unemployment benefits end and you still are unemployed you are no longer a statistic.  It is really sad and I hope the minimum wage goes up.  I know retailers, etc. are already raising prices in preparation of the wage increase.  I feel sorry for people trying to make ends meet.  If you don't have family you could end up on the street.  It should not be that way.

@Katcat1, where do you want the minimum wage to go up?  In your own state? That would be good perhaps.   States don't necessarily adhere to the Federal Minimum wage.  For some states it's lower and others it's higher and some fall directly in line with the federal minimum wage.

*Call Tyrone*
Trusted Contributor
Online shopping is a large part of stores closing but it just plain costs so much to Live these days. I am insurance poor. I work to pay insurance and not just medical, car, house...it's so expensive. Everything is so expensive, Internet, cell phones...I am barely holding on.