Super Contributor

Re: Question for the snowbirds...

On 6/30/2014 happy housewife said:
On 6/30/2014 tansy said:
On 6/30/2014 kaybee said:

I bought a motorhome earlier this year so I've been reading a lot of RV forums over the past few years doing research and preparation for the purchase. The Travel Channel also has a series on people shopping for RVs.

Although you take those reality shows for what they are worth....it amazes me how many people up and completely sell their homes in order to buy an RV to live in full time right off the bat.

*They should do a series where they follow some of them for the first few weeks getting use to living on wheels no matter how expensive and equipped their rig is!

That would be an interesting show, kaybee. I saw a small, sleek Airstream motorhome yesterday. It starts at 146k and has a wet bath. Gah!

What is a wet bath?

I wondered that too, so I googled it.

"A wet bath is a bathroom where the shower, the toilet, and (if there is one) the sink, all share the same space."

Ugh. That's the arrangement I had in my college dorm; I had my own bedroom but I shared what is apparently called a wet bath with the girl next door. Terrible idea.

Honored Contributor

On 6/30/2014 happy housewife said:
On 6/30/2014 tansy said:
On 6/30/2014 kaybee said:

I bought a motorhome earlier this year so I've been reading a lot of RV forums over the past few years doing research and preparation for the purchase. The Travel Channel also has a series on people shopping for RVs.

Although you take those reality shows for what they are worth....it amazes me how many people up and completely sell their homes in order to buy an RV to live in full time right off the bat.

*They should do a series where they follow some of them for the first few weeks getting use to living on wheels no matter how expensive and equipped their rig is!

That would be an interesting show, kaybee. I saw a small, sleek Airstream motorhome yesterday. It starts at 146k and has a wet bath. Gah!

What is a wet bath?

A wet bath means there is a sink and a toilet and then a shower head. You decide to take a shower and you will need to wipe the whole bathroom stall down. No thanks for 146k plus. Oops. I see Clover beat me to itSmiley Happy
Honored Contributor

OH - many years ago we had a camper with a bath like that. I surely would not pay 146k for one though. It was our first camper with a bathroom at all though and we were thrilled to have it.

Honored Contributor

Many years ago I knew an elderly woman who lived in an Airstream camper trailer year round here in Pa. She had it on a private lot next to her daughter's mobile home.I thought it was cool , but she slept in a bunk over her sofa that she had to pull down every night. I thought that was rather difficult for a woman in her 80s, and she had to climb up a ladder to get in it. All in all it was pretty odd IMO for an elderly person.

Trusted Contributor

I saw a small, sleek Airstream motorhome yesterday. It starts at 146k and has a wet bath. Gah! I thought you meant "wet bar." :-)
Honored Contributor

I just read an article today that a lot of seniors are leaving FLA and AZ and moving to the Carolinas.

They couldn't stand the extreme heat and decided to go somewhere a little more temperate.

Honored Contributor

On 6/30/2014 terrier3 said:

I just read an article today that a lot of seniors are leaving FLA and AZ and moving to the Carolinas.

They couldn't stand the extreme heat and decided to go somewhere a little more temperate.

I don't know about Florida but it seems that everyone in my 55-plus neighborhood in WA is planning a move to AZ. The homes are considerably less money there.
Honored Contributor

That is fine with me - my small town in Fl gets extremely crowded during the season (jan - april.). It seems that every time I go out of the house another beautiful scenic /natural space is being bulldozed to build homes.

Super Contributor

DS and I lived in Orlando from 9/08 to 10/09 (he stayed on longer) when he attended the DAVE School (digital animation visual effects). I needed a job (and found one to meet our expenses) and he needed an apartment, so we went down together while DH worked at his job and kept our home base going while he attended to our geriatric GS/Husky.

We were used to the summer heat and humidity here, so there was no adjustment for us - it was just a "continuation" of Summer for several months. Winter (late December until early Feb.) was like Spring/Summer, as it went into the low 30s at night and into the upper 50s/low to mid 60s by day.It was actually cold enough on Christmas to snow, but that didn't happen.

I got bored by the lack of seasons. DH (who visited us twice) & I knew that we would never retire in FL. We love the OBX and would like to retire in NC, the OBX or south around Wilmington.

Regular Contributor

Hi terrier,

I do not think that applies to "snowbirds"

They are there end of Oct. until end of April, 1st of May.

The heat and humidity are all the other months.