Respected Contributor

Re: Question for the book readers

definitely goodreads.com this is a good website for all things books, I like to read series and I can see what's coming next, also I like to see how books are rated, and it's not uncommon to see a book with over 100,000 ratings.   It has all kinds of wonderful resources I have probably been using it for about 15 years. 

One of my favorites is "lists" which has things like the most anticipated book of 2022, or the best romantic book of all time, etc. and some of these lists can have two or 300 books in them all rated from number one to like 300. 

Respected Contributor

I have kept a Word document with all the books I have read for many, many years.

The list Id alphabetical by Author and within the author's count also alphabetical.  To the far right column is the "X" column for ones that were not enjoyed.

I keep the pages in their plastic sleeve and have given copies to folks who have asked for one...esp. my pedicurist who started a little library in her service nook.

It all began when I bought a book that I had already read.  There are very few books that I have read twice.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 

That may be your opinion.  My purpose is not to buy something I have already read as I stated in my post.

When someone asks me for a recommendation on author or on a type of book, I want to be able to give an intelligent response.

I do not consider this obsessive compulsive behavior.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

My old library system kept track of the books we borrowed.  It was a nice perk.

Where I live now, that is not done.  I didn't realize it right away, so now I created my own list in my account.  Now I just have to remember to add any books to the list!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been keeping a list of the books I read for years or I'd never remember them all.  This year I haven't finished reading a single book yet.  It's been an "off year".  Hope to get back to it soon.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I started keeping track of books I read because I found I was buying duplicate copies too often.

I have three 9"x7" notebooks, and a few smaller notebooks to keep track. I write down book titles/authors in the smaller books.

In the larger black notebook I list the books alphabetically (using the authors' last names). As soon as I have three books by the same author, I relist them in the white notebook, removing their names from the black book. If I use a book to teach a class, those listings go in the turquoise book.

If I've read books about the author, they go on separate pages in the various books.

I know it's more than most people do, but I love feeling comfortable about what I'm reading. I keep about 27 books going at one time.

Honored Contributor

I wish I would have kept a chart of the books I have read and the particular authors that I like best.  It would have made things a lot more simple!  I have a few times purchased or picked up books that I have already read! 

I haven't check any books out of the library in eons.  I either buy books, usually second hand, or get them free. 

I set no time limits on how many books I expect to read in a certain amount of time.  I just read what I want, when I want.  I never read mutltiple books at a time. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin