Honored Contributor

Re: Question for landowners of a shared driveway.

[ Edited ]

@AuntG wrote:

I can see your point  @RinaRina . Sometimes a hornet's nest should be left alone and they won't bother anyone unless stirred up.

Very true... But I think she's concerned about her potential liability, given that she owns a portion of the driveway and the 'neighbors' would not appear to be operating in 'good faith'... GIven that, who's to say what they might try to pull going forward...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@Babyfran  Gosh I feel for you.  Back in the day when these right of ways and easements were established the world was a different place.  People were different.  Meeting with your attorney is very wise. Bring all your property documents.

Years ago one a long time landowner asked my brother and I for a right of way thru our property.  She has a large farm.  For decades acess to the farm was through a shared road.  Well for some reason she burned her bridges with that neighbor and they cut off her access.  She had another legal right of way thru another neighbors property, but they were constantly battling.  So she approached us.  She had given the gas company right of way onto her property so we could get gas.  We felt terrible but we told her 'No'.   We envisioned what would occur in the future when she passed and her children sold off the property.

Respected Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

When that house was for sale,I was angry at the realtors(who now own the house and rent it as an illegal  AB&B) bringing people up and down my driveway.They do not in anyway have a "right of way" in my driveway!

===================================================

I hate AirBnB.  It's ruined our neighborhood of "single family dwellings".

Basically, now, I'm living next door to a Motel 6.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Trusted Contributor

That’s horrible that Air B&B’s have caused such misery to you both. Oh boy.... I sure hope my neighbors don’t have THAT in the works. I’ll really go through the roof. Man Indifferent

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

When that house was for sale,I was angry at the realtors(who now own the house and rent it as an illegal  AB&B) bringing people up and down my driveway.They do not in anyway have a "right of way" in my driveway!

===================================================

I hate AirBnB.  It's ruined our neighborhood of "single family dwellings".

Basically, now, I'm living next door to a Motel 6.

I agree. The whole concept is so badly flawed. It makes every property like a summer beach rental with very little accoutability. While some don't like HOA's here is one area where an HOA can be a good thing, as some have banned them. Of course, this could always be challenged, and, of course, if no one knows it's going on then it becomes moot. I do know that my HOA has forbidden them and when some residents have been so thick as to advertise they've been told to take down their ads or face a stiff penalty. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

Before reading this post I had never heard of two different homeowners sharing the same driveway. It's bad enough in this day and age to have neighbors each with their own driveways "acting out", let alone dealing with this nightmare. I would probably look to move. How easy is it to sell property with this set-up, anyways?

dee

Honored Contributor

I don't have any advice, but I know two different families that had shared driveways....they never worked well....and one set of neighbors had a huge fight with the others that the drive was shared with...it was a bad situation.