Trusted Contributor

Re: Question for landowners of a shared driveway.

RinaRina, how HORRIBLE! That sickens me what you’ve had to endure. I am afraid of retaliation... that’s what’s held me back so far. Oh boy..... what a mess .... owning a shared driveway can be a nightmare. Good luck with your situation, and thank you for taking the time to reply. 

Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina  If I had your situation...if there was any way I could, I would put up some fencing on my own property at least where they knocked it down and more on each end if possible. 

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

Esme, thank you. My neighbors that own the two houses and the cabin have been helping to maintain the road.... that’s why I’ve been leery about saying anything. When I found out the cabin is now being occupied that seemed to be the straw  that broke the camels back in my book. I can’t wait to hear back from my lawyer. 

Trusted Contributor

Good advice. I placed a call to him. I hope he  calls me back on Monday. I’m stressed about  the virus... now I’m stressed about this. Grrrr I guess that’s life. Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

THANK YOU so much for your feedback. I’m going to sign off for a bit, however I wanted to say I really appreciate your replies. I’m a widow, and am overwhelmed by this. Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

You need to get out your title and see what you actually have and what you may have granted.  Appearances and words are not what you may think.

My driveway is a mix of private logging road, easement, shared private road and finally a road on my property.  You would not know it if you drove over it.  Looks like gravel all the way.

I have pondered what is the use a shared road that can only approached by easement, but there you are.  Maybe the easement is an older property, should ask her.

Honored Contributor

All I can say is I feel bad for you. Not neighborly.

Occasional Contributor

Marp....your answer is spot on... 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A famous case in Carmel ended horribly with a shared driveway.  I haven't seen one, but I guess people in the country can have them.  It is a hard issue to resolve.   
ETA.  I believe one of the names in the case was Grimes. Out of this tragedy a law was evoked. 

Honored Contributor

I never even heard of shared driveways.  It must be common in certain regions but not in the Southwest.  Sounds like something to be avoided at all costs.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment