Respected Contributor

Question for anyone who has had a knee replacement or know someone who had it done

I had a knee replacement in May of this year.  Before it was done I had developed pain in my heel of the same leg for at least 6 months prior to surgery and it is still painful, some swelling in my heel, sometimes difficult to walk.  I had a  MRI  which confirmed tears in my Achilles tendon and I'm told it was due to the limp I had caused by  the osteoarthritis in my knee.  Now I am having the tendon repair surgery in December so my question is has anyone else developed this kind of heel pain or any other leg or foot problem due to the osteoarthritis or other diagnosis which you ended up having a knee replacement and additional surgery. If  so did it resolve the problem? Hope my question is clear and thanks in advance for your responses.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question for anyone who has had a knee replacement or know someone who had it done

[ Edited ]

I had a pronation problem so bad in my right foot that I had surgery on it in 1998.  I have had a knee replacement on my other leg but my pronation had nothing to do with it.  The surgery shortened the ligaments so they'd support my foot better.  I was in a wheelchair 6 weeks, then a walker another 6 weeks.

I had about 6 months of relief, then things pretty much returned to my pre-surgery state.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question for anyone who has had a knee replacement or know someone who had it done

I had knee replacement 6 weeks ago, and the resulting realignment of my gait has been difficult, which I expected.  I have a back condition called spondylolisthesis (slipped vertebra) and traumatic arthritis in the opposite ankle, so the gait change, while good, is wreaking havoc.  So far I don't need surgery elsewhere, but I could see essily how it could happen.

Best of luck to you!

Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

I had a knee replacement in May of this year.  Before it was done I had developed pain in my heel of the same leg for at least 6 months prior to surgery and it is still painful, some swelling in my heel, sometimes difficult to walk.  I had a  MRI  which confirmed tears in my Achilles tendon and I'm told it was due to the limp I had caused by  the osteoarthritis in my knee.  Now I am having the tendon repair surgery in December so my question is has anyone else developed this kind of heel pain or any other leg or foot problem due to the osteoarthritis or other diagnosis which you ended up having a knee replacement and additional surgery. If  so did it resolve the problem? Hope my question is clear and thanks in advance for your responses.

After the surgery, you might want to consult a podiatrist to make sure you're wearing the right kind of shoes.  You might have gotten overpronation in your foot causing plantar fasciitis along with the tear in the achilles.  It's really tricky for your feet when your gait changes for any reason.

Honored Contributor

My husband had knee replacement due to a motorcycle accident when he was young and then a reinjury when he was golfing years later. He hasn't had any additional issues with his knee or foot since then and it's been more than five years since the replacement. 

I hope everything goes well for you. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval