Esteemed Contributor

Question for Tampa/St. Pete Area Residents

I know that the Bay Pines VA medical facilities were evacuated during Irma and that most operations are back in service.

Both my parents are buried at Bay Pines National Cemetery and I have been unable to find any information about damage sustained.

Can anyone from the area provide information about how the cemetery fared?  I've no doubt it was under feet of water.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Re: Question for Tampa/St. Pete Area Residents

[ Edited ]

@Marp,  I wish I had seen this earlier.   I was just up and around for a few minutes and decided to check the forum and saw your post.   I know someone who is a programmer/systems analyst in the VA network and who, I believe, specifically does some work for the Bay Pines VA.   I just sent her a message, and I'll let you know if I hear anything.   I know this has to weigh heavily on your heart and your mind.    Sending you (((gentle hugs))) across the miles.❤️ 

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

When IRMA was predicted to go up the west coast, they predicted an extremely high storm surge.

IRMA moved inland and the storm surge did not happen!  We are thankful.  The coast did not take the  worse of the storm.  Nobody expected the storm to go inland, but she did!  Rain was falling as fast as rain can possible fall.  Thank God, she was moving quickly and did not sit in one spot like Harvey did.  

I would doubt there is serious damage in St. Pete.  It would be big time news.  Loss of power is our biggest problem........yet, we only lost power for 27 hours.  Many are still without power.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo  You are one of the nicest posters to do this for Marp.  I wish that I could help her get an answer, I'm glad that you can. 

@Zhills  Glad to read storm damage was minimal in your area, and that you were not too long without power.

Respected Contributor

I'm sure @Marp already knows this and probably just  wanted info asap, but you can contact Bay Pines National Cemetary M-F, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. For phone #:

https://www.cem.va.gov/CEMs/nchp/baypines.asp

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter,  What a lovely compliment.   Thank you.   I appreciate that.   I'm afraid I haven't been any help at all so far, though.   My friend, when she's not working, is active as a volunteer in pet rescue, transport, and adoption services and is (obviously) overwhelmed with the work in the aftermath of the Texas and Florida storms.   She did forward the inquiry to those in her network, and I noticed they, in turn, forward the message to others so I'm still hopeful someone will have information -- though many of them are also involved in recovery work and it's a confusing time.   I hope our dear friend @Marp can find answers soon, and that they will be positive and comforting assurances that the cemetery is safe and unharmed.    @Zhills,  I'm so glad you're okay.   Such a difficult time for all involved.   @SaRina, great information.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova