Honored Contributor

Re: Question for Landlords and Tenants

[ Edited ]

@KitTkat 

Washington homeless assistance and eviction prevention programs.

While hundreds of charities and non-profits offer housing assistance in Washington, the State Department of Commerce has several organizations listed below that they recommend residents contact. Each center works with the state, and other groups, in an effort to prevent homelessness. This includes helping tenants that are behind on their rent or homeowners that are facing a foreclosure. There is also assistance for the currently homeless in Washington, including security deposit assistance.

Financial aid may be available, but it will be limited. Most of it comes from government grants or private donations. The amount available will change from year to year, and even from month to month. Whenever possible, the agencies will offer direct financial aid to pay for an outstanding energy bills, rent, or maybe a partial mortgage payment. This will always come with conditions and priority is for those Washington families that are most at risk of homelessness.

If an organization does not have funds available, then they may instead offer a loan for the clients rent expenses. Or if that is not an option either, then referrals may be provided. Assistance is only offered to qualified low income or working poor families facing imminent eviction or a foreclosure. Any type of aid offered in Washington is for very short term needs and is not intended to be a "hand out".

When applying, be prepared with documentation and proof of hardship. This can include, but is not limited to, copies of tax returns, your lease, proof of income, and identification. The rental assistance is usually available for those facing a short term crisis that was not caused by them, such as maybe an unexpected car repair or illness.

Case management is a key requirement. While short term assistance may be available in limited case to pay rent, the true objective is on breaking the cycle of homelessness. So various workshops on credit repair, employment, and other self-sufficiency sessions are offered. This can include referrals to one stop job centers or any number of state of Washington educational and employment resources.

There are several different government funded housing programs offered in Washington. They all have different conditions and funding levels. Most depend on annual allotments from Housing and Urban Development (

The Emergency Solutions Grant is one key service. It can provide emergency financial assistance to pay a portion of rent in order to prevent evictions. For those that need a place to live, the non-profits that have access to ESG grants can rapidly re-house persons. This may include funds to pay for a security deposit, relocation costs, or a portion of the rent on the new apartment/home. As noted above, some families in Washington will be issued a loan for these deposits or their rental needs.

The program is formally known as ESG in the state of Washington. There are a combination of non-profits and local DSHS offices that offer this homeless prevention program. Not only may it pay for housing, but it offers help with rent in an emergency if the tenant is about to be evicted. ESG also pays for utilities, heat, and other costs in Washington.

Enrolling into self-sufficiency workshops and case management is also required as part of rehousing. This is done even after moving into the new home. This will help ensure that the eviction doesn't reoccur in the future. Most of the financial aid in Washington is for very low income families or individuals who would be homeless if they are not able to receive help. HUD grants can provide for short-term or medium-term Rental Assistance, Stability Services, as well as Housing Search and Placement.

Other housing resources available in Washington, often in partnership with the Department of Commerce, include Tenant Based Rental Assistance vouchers, Continuum of Care, Housing Opportunities for People with AIDS, and the Independent Youth Housing Program

Non-profits for homeless prevention resources in Washington

Adams County
Integrated Health Care Services Department
Main address is 425 E Main St, Ste 600
Othello, Washington
Main number is 509-488-4074

Asotin County
Quality Behavioral Health
900 7th St
Clarkston, Washington
Main number is 509-758-3341

Benton County
Benton and Franklin Counties Department of Human Services
7102 W Okanogan Place, Ste 201
Kennewick, WA
509-783-5284
Tenants with an eviction notice and facing homelessness can call the department for referrals, and this can even include the possibility of free vouchers for a motel.

Chelan County
Chelan Douglas Community Action Council
620 Lewis St
Wenatchee, WA
509-662-6156

Clallam County
Serenity House of Clallam County
535 E First St
Port Angeles, WA
360-565-5041
Call for information on programs for struggling tenants, including mediation services.

Clark County
Housing Solutions Center
360-695-9677
This non-profit supports the city of Vancouver and the county. They are a resource for foreclosure and homebuying programs as well as eviction prevention assistance, ranging from grants to cash loans. More information.

Columbia County
Blue Mountain Action Council
1520 Kelly Pl, Ste 140
Walla Walla, WA
509-529-4980
Case managers can provide information on shelters, low income housing, and federal government grants, among other housing programs.

Cowlitz County
Lower Columbia Community Action Program
1526 Commerce Ave
Longview, Washington
360-425-3430

Douglas County
Chelan Douglas Community Action Council
Address is 620 Lewis St
Wenatchee, Washington
Call 509-662-6156

Ferry County
Connections
870 S Clark Ave
Republic, WA
Dial 509-775-3331

Franklin County
Benton and Franklin Counties Department of Human Services
7102 W Okanogan Place, Ste 201
Kennewick, WA
509-783-5284
Federal grants may be issued to help address housing needs, stop evictions, or rehouse the homeless.

Garfield County
1520 Kelly Pl, Ste 140
Walla Walla, Washington
509-529-4980

Grant County
Housing Authority of Grant County
1139 Larson Boulevard
Moses Lake, WA
509-762-5541

Grays Harbor County
Coastal Community Action Program
117 E Third St
Aberdeen, WA
360-500-4528

Island County
Opportunity Council
1791 NE First St
Oak Harbor, Washington
Main number is 360-679-6577

Jefferson County
Olympic Community Action
803 W Park Ave
Port Townsend, Washington
Dial 360-385-2571 for information on security deposit programs.

King County
Call 211 for Centralized Phone Intake.
Referrals can be provided to a number of resources to stop evictions, and it can include emergency grants for paying back rent to free legal advice and more. Learn more on King County.

Kitsap
Kitsap Community Resources
845 8th St
Bremerton, WA
360-473-2027. Many housing programs are run, including for single parents and veterans. Learn more on Kitsap County.

Kittitas County
Hopesource
700 E Mountainview Ave, Ste 501
Ellensburg, WA
For homeless prevention referrals, dial 509-924-1448

Klicktat County
Washington Gorge Action Programs
1250 E Steuben St
Bingen, Washington
Call either 509-493-2662 or 1-800-755-1192

Lewis County
Centralized Phone Intake 360-736-5140
Funds can assist with housing costs that could lead to an eviction, ranging from unpaid energy bills to back rent, and some local agencies offer loans for these costs. They also partner with other shelters and charities in the region.

Lincoln County
Family Resource Center
620 Park St
Davenport, Washington
509-725-4358

Mason County
Mason County Shelter
216 N First Ave
Shelton, WA
360-427-6919

Okanogan County
Community Action Council
Main address: 424 S 2nd Ave
Okanogan, WA
1-877-641-0101 or 503-422-4041

Pacific County
Crisis Support Network
Location - 762 Ballentine St
Raymond, WA
360-875-6702

Pend Oreille County
Pend Oreille Crime Victim Services/Family Crisis Network
730 W 1st St
Newport, WA
509-447-2274

Pierce County
Access Point for Housing - 253-682-3401
Administers low income housing, rental assistance and referrals to government grant programs. There is eviction help for residents in Tacoma and the region, and more on Pierce County.

San Juan County
San Juan Island Family Resource Center
476 Market St
Friday Harbor, Washington
360-378-5246

Skagit County
Skagit County Community Action Agency
330 Pacific Place
Mount Vernon, WA
360-416-7585

Skamania County
Washington Gorge Action Programs
683 SW Rock Creek Dr
Stevenson, WA
509-457-8229 or 1-800-755-1192

Snohomish County
Snohomish County Office of Community and Homeless Services
Address - 3000 Rockefeller Ave
Everett, WA
Dial 425-388-3360 for information on housing programs. Tenants can get legal aid to stop an eviction, there is transitional housing, HUD vouchers for rent, and other support. More on Snohomish County homeless prevention and rehousing programs.

Spokane County
Online Prevention Assistance Intake number is 509-325-5005
Throughout the county there are non-profits that offer transitional housing or that can assist with paying a security deposit on a new, low income apartment or home in Washington. Pro-active support on preventing evictions is also available. Continue with rehousing and homeless assistance in Spokane County.

Stevens County
Rural Resources Community Action
956 S Main St
Colville, Washington
Telephone: 509-684-8421

Thurston County
Interfaith Works/Sidewalk (single men and women)
1139 5th Ave SE; Olympia, WA
360-515-5587

Family Support Center (families with children)
201 Capital Way; Olympia, WA
360-754-9297

Community Youth Services (youth up to 25 years of age)
711 State Ave NE
Olympia, Washington
360-943-0780

Wahkiakum County
Health and Human Services
Main address - 42 Elochoman Valley Rd
Cathlamet, WA
Call the non-profit at 360-795-8630

Walla Walla County
1520 Kelly Pl, Ste 140
Walla Walla, WA
509-529-4980

Whatcom County
Opportunity Council
1111 Cornwall Ave
Bellingham, WA
360-734-5121
Support is for struggling residents, including veterans and senior citizens. Based on donations, there may be emergency money for rental expenses and other financial support to tenants with a pay or quite eviction notice from their

Whitman County
Community Action Center
350 SE Fairmont Rd
Pullman, WA
509-334-9147 or 1-800-482-3991

Yakima County
Yakima Neighborhood Health Services - The Depot Homeless Service Center
602 E Yakima Ave
Yakima, WA 98901
509-249-6232 or 509-454-4143 or 211

Honored Contributor

@KitTkat wrote:

@alicedee  friends and family already have been holding on to some of their animals for too long, me included. I have 2 of their cows on my pasture that i have requested to get off for months to no avail. I think the rest of the family sees what I've gone through and won't offer that option to take their 1 dog, 2 goats, and 6 cats.

@KitTkat 

Thanks for your reply to my other post. From this I just wonder! 6 cats/2 goats/2 cows a dog and 5 kids. Was her husband a farmer?

I can't help but wonder when someone struggling and in an apartment would want to keep animals they obviously cannot afford to care for and feed. The animals deserve better!

Yes, I am an animal lover, all animals. I am doing my best in my post to not offend you, but from what you have said?

There is no way these people will ever "dig themselves out of this".

To me it looks like they have depended on you and everyone else to solve their issues, and they take "zero" for their responsibility, and will continue to do so as long as people allow them. It's time!!!

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@KitTkat wrote:

@alicedee  friends and family already have been holding on to some of their animals for too long, me included. I have 2 of their cows on my pasture that i have requested to get off for months to no avail. I think the rest of the family sees what I've gone through and won't offer that option to take their 1 dog, 2 goats, and 6 cats.

@KitTkat 

Thanks for your reply to my other post. From this I just wonder! 6 cats/2 goats/2 cows a dog and 5 kids. Was her husband a farmer?

I can't help but wonder when someone struggling and in an apartment would want to keep animals they obviously cannot afford to care for and feed. The animals deserve better!

Yes, I am an animal lover, all animals. I am doing my best in my post to not offend you, but from what you have said?

To me it looks like they have depended on you and everyone else to solve their issues, and they take "zero" for their responsibility, and will continue to do so as long as people allow them. It's time!!!

hckynut 

Enabling destructive behavior only makes it worse.  We all know that.  The problem is when children are involved.  Then too many times other people - or  the government - steps in to enable the continued bad behavior to "save the children."  The spiral continues.  The children learn that bad behavior is always someone else's responsibility to fix.

It's very sad.

Honored Contributor

Maybe she should contact the new owners and try to make some kind of arrangement.  

I think it's going to be hard to find something comparable based on their needs.  

It's a very sad situation...

Trusted Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@KitTkat wrote:

@KitTkat 

hckynut 

@hckynut hobby farmer, wanna be farmer, I'm not sure what I would call him. Probably the word I would use would get me in trouble with the mods! Not a real farmer. You are absolutely right that the animals deserve better, no one should have any animal if they can't properly care for it. BTW you wouldn't offend me, so don't worry about that. The cows are fat and happy on my field, but they need to find someplace else to be just as happy. But trying to tell my sister that is like trying to talk to the cow itself.

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D  thank you for doing this research and sharing it. Maybe someone else can benefit too. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer 

Saving the children and the helpless animals should be the top priority. And for some people throwing money to or at them along with "freebies"? It is not the answer.

As you say, what does this teach their children? I grew up in Public Housing Projects, where there were no fathers. Only my mother and 1 other mother worked to support their children.

My family and that 1 other family, with the working mother, made it out of those Projects. That boy, now a man, is one of my best friends, he is 84. The other families? Most kept having a child each year. Several we grew up ended up in prisons or never learned the real way of life, and are dead.

Keeping children in those environments usually does not turn out well. One only need read the statistics of children of a single parent home. It pretty much spells out their chances of having a good life. It was that way when and where I was born and grew up, and it is now over 75 years later, except it is now much worse.

I realize this is a 2 parent family, but with neither of them working? Those statistics are probably even worse, that's just my guess! Whatever the stats, the odds are against these kids.

What advantage is there in letting children grow up in the type of environment that is a topic in this thread? I am listening!!

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@KitTkat wrote:

@Mindy D  thank you for doing this research and sharing it. Maybe someone else can benefit too. 

If worse comes to worst, since you have a field, maybe you could let them stay in an RV or motor home some place tucked away on the property. Better than a tent.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@KitTkat wrote:

If worse comes to worst, since you have a field, maybe you could let them stay in an RV or motor home some place tucked away on the property. Better than a tent.

I doubt the zoning ordinances would allow that.  If she has a husband, he may also object!

Honored Contributor

My guess based on the info provided, if the OP lets them live on her property, they will never leave.