Trusted Contributor

Re: Question for Landlords and Tenants

@Sooner wrote:

One of the saddest things is when you have people who nobody can help.  I don't have any advice for people like that, just sympathy for folks who love and care about them.

But often them simply push their supporters beyond what they are able to do and give.  Sad.

Thank you @Sooner This is it exactly.

Trusted Contributor

@Growing wrote:

There is a saying that helps me in some of my dysfunctional friends and family situations. "Detachment is not the absence of love, but the ability to take care of yourself in the midst of other people's problems." Sometimes we have to just detach with love. We may be more upset or worrying more than the other person. Another saying is "Let go and let God." I send you loving vibrations for peace of mind even in the midst of someone else's life choices. No judgement just stepping out of the mud. Hugs to you.

@Growing  thank you. That's absolutely perfect. I needed that, especially the stepping out of the mud part. God bless you.

Valued Contributor

You are welcome.... my sister makes poor decisions, too. We can't care more than they do. My sister was okay with doing nothing about a fractured leg (not seeking medical care) -- she has insurance and money. I was appallled. 

Esteemed Contributor

I wonder if the landlord just gave them a 60 day notice because he is selling the property? An eviction is a different situation because they have not paid their rent. If that is the case, the landlord will contact the Sheriff to enforce it.  They will move them out and lock down the property. You have no legal right to stay on a rental property . I don't know why they have not taken this more seriously. They have 5 children that need a place to live and food. Social Services could get involved.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

The "history" only comes up if the outstanding judgement  is recorded in the county of record.  Again the landlord may or may not  be awarded the outstanding rent but the landlord may only recover possession of the unit, that may take a little while to happen, depending on if there are emergency applications filed etc. 

A tenant is not branded for life as a criminal because of this type of issue. 

A tenant may be awarded the additional reasonable time to stay for good reason but eventually they will have to vacate. 

I am neither pro tenant nor pro landlord but each side takes their chances. 

Trusted Contributor

I'm confused if this has gone to court or not. If not they can probably squat there as long as they want, sadly.

I did go through something similar when my apartment building was foreclosed on. They owner tried to hide that info from us by taking down notices that were put up before we saw them. Once we knew I stopped paying rent because I knew the owner wasn't allowed to accept it. Then since we had leases another tenant and I forced them into court. They then gave us I think it was three months rent free to leave. Yay! Plus they offered us a bonus if we left the apartments not trashed. Also yay! When I went to get my bonus check I knew they were probably sorry they didn't keep us in there. We were paying for the heat and this went on in the coldest February ever. Needless to say they ended up with burst pipes for their trouble.

And I'm very pro landlords getting rid of deadbeats and I know how hard it is to do that. But I admit this made me a bit happy. Could have just kept us there and raised the super cheap rent a bit and we all would have been happy.

Honored Contributor

Do the cows have any value?  If so, they should be sold to help with moving costs.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KitTkat wrote:

My sister and her family are being evicted from their rental, and although the governor has issued a no eviction order due to Covid, this one is legal because it's on the grounds that the landlord is going to sell the property.

Here's the thing. The eviction notice was set for 60 days, and that final date is Aug. 31. In the past 2 months, there have been few new rentals open in the area and most don't take pets, they have several, so they have found no where to move. They are choosing to stay where they are and "test the process". I've never rented so I don't know the process.

So my question to all renters and landlords, what's going to happen to my sister's family when the landlord learns they haven't moved? Has anyone here ever defied an eviction order? I think they're asking for trouble.

And in case anyone is going to ask, I can't take them in. I care for my mom with severe health issues in a small house with no extra bedrooms. They have 5 children ranging from 0 to 9, and my bro in law hasn't had a job in almost 2 years. Very sad situation.

@KitTkat 

Based on what I've seen on court shows, and one case our city had that was on the local news, if the Landlord is selling and has given proper legal notice not much your sister can do about staying there, she might be able to still be evicted by the Landlord (there are exceptions to these "no

eviction" rules.) 

However, tell her to check with her city government, I know our city has said on our local news that the City has established special programs during the pandemic to help tenants that are displaced and for those that cant pay their rent.....It does vary by State and by City, but well worth checking out......Even if a city is short on rentals what our city has done is to give vouchers to stay at hotels that are vacant due to the pandemic....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Gov. Inslee here in WA state has extended the eviction moratorium to October 15, 2020.

@Love my grandkids 

Out State has the same thing in place, but there are still exceptions even under a no eviction moratorium which varies by State....Our local news highlighted a story and the landlord was still within her rights to evict, it depends on the situation...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

i'm not sure how much farmland is available for rent in their area - but apparently not much that they can afford.

So - it would seem that selling the cows and goats would be a first step - and could probably significantly aid in putting a deposit on a place in a less rural setting.

That may not be ideal for them - but then neither is being thrown into the street - and they have children to consider after all.