Trusted Contributor

Re: Question for Landlords and Tenants

@alicedee wrote:

If I had 5 children and a spouse that hadn't held a job in two years, I would not have "several" pets.  How can they afford that?

People need to cut their coat to fit their cloth.  Find friends, family or rescues that will take some of the pets, tell husband to get a job (unless he is physically unable to, of course), and look further than the current area if necessary to find a new rental.  They may have to go to a new city.  They may have to get Social Services involved to assist in finding a place if they are low income.

No it's not easy, and it is sad to give up a pet....but you do what you have to in order to survive.  Some landlords will allow a single pet, but it will be difficult to find one that allows "several", whatever that consists of.

@alicedee  friends and family already have been holding on to some of their animals for too long, me included. I have 2 of their cows on my pasture that i have requested to get off for months to no avail. I think the rest of the family sees what I've gone through and won't offer that option to take their 1 dog, 2 goats, and 6 cats.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Nightowlz WA state is replete with tent cities. So are other states. I've seen stories about them on the national news. Nothing new, sadly.

@Love my grandkids 

I searched online. IMO there is no excuse for those being in America. Literally makes me sick.

They tried to do that here when we had the oil boom. There were no houses to buy or rent. The City put a stop to that. People were told they could not live in tents.

Trusted Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

@KitTkat 

Does your sister's husband have friends or family who could help one way or another? This family can't avoid paying rent indefinitely. I agree with your statement that ignoring the eviction notice(s) is a bad idea. They are not taking any responsibility and "test the process" is another method of getting something free at the expense of everyone else.

@Silver Lining  friends and family have been "helping" for years. I've never seen a dime back of what I loaned and don't expect I ever will.

Honored Contributor

@KitTkat wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

If I had 5 children and a spouse that hadn't held a job in two years, I would not have "several" pets.  How can they afford that?

People need to cut their coat to fit their cloth.  Find friends, family or rescues that will take some of the pets, tell husband to get a job (unless he is physically unable to, of course), and look further than the current area if necessary to find a new rental.  They may have to go to a new city.  They may have to get Social Services involved to assist in finding a place if they are low income.

No it's not easy, and it is sad to give up a pet....but you do what you have to in order to survive.  Some landlords will allow a single pet, but it will be difficult to find one that allows "several", whatever that consists of.

@alicedee  friends and family already have been holding on to some of their animals for too long, me included. I have 2 of their cows on my pasture that i have requested to get off for months to no avail. I think the rest of the family sees what I've gone through and won't offer that option to take their 1 dog, 2 goats, and 6 cats.

@KitTkat   I take it they are renting a house on some type of farm-style property if they own goats and cows.

You said you couldn't take any animals but now you have 2 cows?

Farm animals need special care; I'm concerned for them and no wonder they cannot find another place to live.

Unless they are looking at a house in some type of farm setting, no wonder they cannot find a place to live.  Nobody is going to rent to 5 children, a dog, 2 cows, 2 goats, and six cats.

This is becoming a very odd situation.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@KitTkat wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

You've been a good sister to help as much as you have!  I don't think there are too many rentals out there that will allow cows and goats, and I doubt that many cats.  They will have to make some hard decisions....it sounds like your plate is already very full taking care of your Mom.  🌷

Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3  their last rental before this current house was a 5 acre farm. They had to move last year and sent their farm animals out to "temporary" homes. Ive had the cows for 13 months. The landlord didn't mind the goats coming to his property because they ate up the weeds and kept the blackberries pruned. I doubt the landlord knows how many cats they currently have.

Honored Contributor

I don't see a way around finding a new home for all the pets.  Your sister should get on that and find the least expensive apartment.  I don't think I'd take the gamble of not leaving.  Especially since it hasn't been discussed

Honored Contributor

One of the saddest things is when you have people who nobody can help.  I don't have any advice for people like that, just sympathy for folks who love and care about them.

But often them simply push their supporters beyond what they are able to do and give.  Sad.

Regular Contributor

Unless back rent is owed it seems odd that the new owners would not want renters all ready.  When we had to evict tenants the court gave the families extra time when children were involved.

Valued Contributor

There is a saying that helps me in some of my dysfunctional friends and family situations. "Detachment is not the absence of love, but the ability to take care of yourself in the midst of other people's problems." Sometimes we have to just detach with love. We may be more upset or worrying more than the other person. Another saying is "Let go and let God." I send you loving vibrations for peace of mind even in the midst of someone else's life choices. No judgement just stepping out of the mud. Hugs to you.