Respected Contributor

Re: Question for Landlords and Tenants

[ Edited ]

@KarenQVC wrote:

This is a structurally low income family.  They require social services.  They should go to Legal Aid with their paperwork.  Then they should apply to their city housing commission for low income housing.  Our city has units up to 4 bedrooms.  Yes, they may have to get on waiting lists, but if they get in they could stay forever.

Then there is the working piece of the puzzle.  The state vocational bureau may steer them to jobs and training paid for by the state.  I hope the children are on a state health care program already.

Other than the vocational training and Legal Aid, I already said all of that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KitTkat @They might want to contact https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjL56KmysHrAhUQUa0KHRsNBZcQ...

Who do I contact for eviction help?

While the program is funded with federal government dollars, it is run by local organizations. You can contact your county community action organization, local branch of the Salvation Army, or a local government agency. Here is a resource that provides a listing of some of the assistance programs and contacts by state, city, and county.

As indicated, some national non-profit and charity organizations administer emergency funds to pay rent. These will also come with conditions, including the funds need to be used to prevent homelessness that could result from an eviction. The grants may help with paying housing costs due to a property owner or utility bills due to a local provider. Case managers can work with tenants of all income levels to show them how to avoid an eviction. Find listing of national charities.

Some state governments have also coordinated their own programs that are targeted at preventing homelessness and evictions. They will use a combination of federal government grants and often supplement that with local funds. Some of the government agencies may issue loans to help prevent an eviction from an apartment. Programs offered by states include the

Alabama

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Connecticut

Florida

Georgia

Illinois

Iowa

Indiana

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Mississippi

Missouri

Nebraska

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Oklahoma

Oregon

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Virginia

Washington

West Virginia

Wisconsin

In addition to the various other resources you will find on this site, the Eviction Prevention Program is just one more place to turn to for assistance. The government, or non-profit organizations in a local community, may provide you with housing and rent assistance.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The property is being SOLD so they will have to go...if this happened  in my State the owner can schedule showings with 1 days notice & sell it with the renters living there. When a renter ignores an eviction the owner can get an emergency order of eviction & it will be posted on the door with a date they must be out or the authorities will arrive to remove them & all their belongings, those belongings are usually placed.- thrown between the sidewalk & the street & are up for grabs. Your family members are playing a silly game with lots to lose so they better make plans to go now not later.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D :  Sometimes I object to all your cut/ paste but this should be helpful to many.  Bravo!

Honored Contributor

I just feel sorry for children who are caught in this situation. How sad and stressful for them.

Trusted Contributor

@KitTkat  I am a landlord AND a tenant. 

The property I own and rent are located in MD; the one I rent is in Florida. The states have completely DIFFERENT laws about this. My first question would be (which you don't have to answer, of course) is what state and which county do they live in? THIS is what matters because each state and then the county within the state has their set of procedures for eviction. Some make it almost impossible to evict a tenant and with COVID, it's even harder. Other states simply show up, open up the door and start throwing things out onto the yard and then change the locks.

Being honest, having pets is going to make it MUCH harder for them to find a place to live. There are many states that have free legal service for those in your sisters situation; she may wish to call around. 

The fact that the property is going to be sold doesn't mean anything in one of the counties I own property; the landlord MUST inform ALL parties that there is a tenant and the contract for the tenant MUST be upheld by the new buyer UNLESS the new buyer OR the landlord pay the tenant a specific sum of money equal to the cost of their rent for the duration of the contract (as I said, some states are pro-renter, others are pro-landlord). Selling the property often doesn't mean you can simply toss out the renters; it all depends on their contract AND the laws were they live.

I wish them them the best of luck in this situation. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Trusted Contributor

This has turned into quite the discussion while I was grocery shopping.

I've read through the replies and will do my best to answer some questions.

First of all, my sister and I live in WA. We currently are about 15 miles apart. I don't mind any negative comments on this situation, as to be blunt, I have my own colorful opinions about my sister and her husband's choices that I could tell from now until Halloween. But that isn't necessary to be shared. I will say, though, that they have made several mistakes in life, and this is just another one that is coming around to bite them in the butt. This time I'm afraid how hard that bite will be. They are, as someone else mentioned, playing a game and I don't think they are equipped to win.

It's disheartening to think what could happen next, but I appreciate everyone's experiences and opinions on what they should do.

Honored Contributor

@KitTkat wrote:

My sister and her family are being evicted from their rental, and although the governor has issued a no eviction order due to Covid, this one is legal because it's on the grounds that the landlord is going to sell the property.

Here's the thing. The eviction notice was set for 60 days, and that final date is Aug. 31. In the past 2 months, there have been few new rentals open in the area and most don't take pets, they have several, so they have found no where to move. They are choosing to stay where they are and "test the process". I've never rented so I don't know the process.

So my question to all renters and landlords, what's going to happen to my sister's family when the landlord learns they haven't moved? Has anyone here ever defied an eviction order? I think they're asking for trouble.

And in case anyone is going to ask, I can't take them in. I care for my mom with severe health issues in a small house with no extra bedrooms. They have 5 children ranging from 0 to 9, and my bro in law hasn't had a job in almost 2 years. Very sad situation.

@KitTkat   I'm not sure why this would matter.  If there is a no eviction process mandated in the state, it shouldn't matter that the landlord is selling the property.

When a landlord is selling his/her property, he/she wants to show the income and that the property is gainfully rented.

Whoever would be looking to buy has to know about the no eviction order in the state.  Therefore, the potential buyer has to know the income is not coming in right now.

I'm not going to get into the employment issue and all that; it's their family, their issues to deal with.

I simply do not get why removing them would benefit the sale of the property.  Steady, good tenants and a dwelling with minimum care/repair issues would be important more than having a property with no income.

It is not unusual for a NEW landlord to want to change out tenants but leases have to be honored, first.

Has the rent been paid on time and in full before COVID-19? If there is a pattern of late rent or partial rent, that could be a very negative mark in their column.

This family needs professional guidance from the state/county/housing authorities.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@hckynut  thank you for your reply. To answer your question, no my sister has never supported the family. They've been married 9 years and have 5 kids, the youngest is under 1, hence the 0, plus there were 4 miscarriages. The math speaks for itself.

I agree that they've helped dig their own grave in this, and I can't help but wonder if they'll ever be able to dig out.

Respected Contributor

@KitTkat 

Does your sister's husband have friends or family who could help one way or another? This family can't avoid paying rent indefinitely. I agree with your statement that ignoring the eviction notice(s) is a bad idea. They are not taking any responsibility and "test the process" is another method of getting something free at the expense of everyone else.