Respected Contributor

Re: Question for Landlords and Tenants

I know nothing about the process other than reading the book Evicted.  It talked about the Sheriff coming and removing the tenants and then - either locking the place up with their belongings inside - or putting their stuff in the street - regardless of weather.

That would be an ugly outcome so I think they need to find out what they are in for here.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bluehost wrote:

FYI...............KitTkat isn't looking for judgement or to moralize her family. 

I assume you are directing this at me.  I am not judging (what does 'moralize her family' even mean?).  

I said what I would do in that circumstance.  These people don't know me from Adam...they don't care what my thoughts are, and I don't care what they choose to do.  The OP put the situation out there, and posters will post their thoughts.

To just stay and do nothing isn't going to help them at all...will just make it harder to find someone who will rent to them.  And it is a form of stealing from the landlord, in my opinion.  They signed an agreement for a set time.

Regular Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

@bluehost wrote:

FYI...............KitTkat isn't looking for judgement or to moralize her family. 

I assume you are directing this at me.  I am not judging (what does 'moralize her family' even mean?).  

I said what I would do in that circumstance.  These people don't know me from Adam...they don't care what my thoughts are, and I don't care what they choose to do.  The OP put the situation out there, and posters will post their thoughts.

To just stay and do nothing isn't going to help them at all...will just make it harder to find someone who will rent to them.  And it is a form of stealing from the landlord, in my opinion.  They signed an agreement for a set time.

FYI................When you moralize, you lecture someone about right and wrong, judging their decisions and actions.

Google is helpfulSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@bluehost wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

@bluehost wrote:

FYI................When you moralize, you lecture someone about right and wrong, judging their decisions and actions.

Google is helpfulSmiley Happy

Gee thanks!

Respected Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

If she is evicted, it will be much harder to find another rental.  That history will follow her for a long time. 

This will also affect her status with public housing if they are eligible for any services.  

A stain on your rental record is very hard to deal with if you don't have money to afford extra deposits etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure where all these evicted families and individuals are supposed to live. Just the fact they're being evicted and therefore can't show a good rental history is going to make finding another place difficult. Where do they go? It's happening all over the country right now.

(Edited to remove reference to shanty towns. Was not trying to be flip. I have never lived in an area with tent cities that were visible to me, only missions and shelters. And those have limited space.)

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

I agree with those who say this can’t be ignored. It’s not going to go away or get any better and needs to be dealt with. 

I’m curious, are they up to date on their rent? If not, that wouldn’t be good. 

Tough situation to be in. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

I'm not sure where all these evicted families and individuals are supposed to live. Just the fact they're being evicted and therefore can't show a good rental history is going to make finding another place difficult. Where do they go? It's happening all over the country right now.

Are we actually going to see shanty towns?

Most evictions are due to non payment.  There has been a moratorium on evictions, yet that cannot go on forever.  No matter if the rental is from an individual or a company, thatv is income someone depends on to pay bills.  They are not a charity.  This is why we need to get the economy back open, so people have a job and can pay their rent.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Most evictions are due to non payment.  There has been a moratorium on evictions, yet that cannot go on forever.  No matter if the rental is from an individual or a company, thatv is income someone depends on to pay bills.  They are not a charity.  This is why we need to get the economy back open, so people have a job and can pay their rent.

And Covid needs to be under more control before the economy can recover.  Seems like a no-brainer.

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

And Covid needs to be under more control before the economy can recover.  Seems like a no-brainer.

So then you are willing to open your home up to someone out of work and unable to pay rent......yea I thought so.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.