Honored Contributor

Re: Question for Landlords and Tenants

It's been a lot of years since I did any rental real estate but when I did, the couple would have had a very tough time.  3 strikes -  no job for over a year, 5 little kids, and a pet.

There aren't a whole lot of landlords able to assume that combination of risks.

Trusted Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Gov. Inslee here in WA state has extended the eviction moratorium to October 15, 2020.

From my understanding, I think that it probably depends on the state and how long the eviction moratoriums are going to be extended. 

I was just thinking about this situation today.

I feel really sad for anyone who finds themselves facing eviction. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Some places are hiring .

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

I'm not sure where all these evicted families and individuals are supposed to live. Just the fact they're being evicted and therefore can't show a good rental history is going to make finding another place difficult. Where do they go? It's happening all over the country right now.

Are we actually going to see shanty towns?

Most evictions are due to non payment.  There has been a moratorium on evictions, yet that cannot go on forever.  No matter if the rental is from an individual or a company, thatv is income someone depends on to pay bills.  They are not a charity.  This is why we need to get the economy back open, so people have a job and can pay their rent.

People have absolutely no idea what havoc is being caused on the legal system at all.  

I'm not sure how landlords are supposed to pay their bills?  When we owned rentals, we owned 2 houses.  We had a mortgage on them, water/sewer bills, insurance, property taxes, repairs.  If someone didn't pay their rent, those bills fell on us to pay.  There is no way DH and I could have afforded our own house plus the bills for 2 rental houses because the tenants weren't paying.

Whenever a tenant called with a sob story about rent or just didn't pay, I used to tell them that while I sympathized with their situation,  I wasn't running a charity, I was running a business. 

If I would't pay my mortgage, after a few months I'd be in forclosure.  Not sure why some tenants think they can go months without paying rent and not suffer consequences.

@Lipstickdiva 

And as unsympathetic as it sounds (and let me state Im all for those that need a helping hand to become self sufficient)....there are also those out there that are very cagey and take advantage of the system....they know all about it and what "squatters rights" are for their state....some know how to work the system....  A co-workers relatives are like that she's she's shared some interesting stories and said they are very intelligent people know all the legal stuff but just dont want to work...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Some places are hiring .

@SharkE 

Around here there have been many local news stories how some businesses cant find help and are looking to hire...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

Some places are hiring .

@SharkE 

Around here there have been many local news stories how some businesses cant find help and are looking to hire...

Target is hiring at 15 an hr. Sign outside the store.

Trusted Contributor

Regarding ONLY the topic of some states extending the stay on evictions and offering money/assistance to tenants:

The fact that landlords who are mom and pop owned are NOT given a "stay" on their mortgage is a HUGE reason as to why they MUST evict.

Forbearance means NOTHING. Understand what that means/how it works and you'll see why.

Again, doing research and discussing this topic with a financial adviser, when all these "stays" end (be it September, October or November), the number being used is that ONE in THREE people will lose their homes. This includes:

1)Renters

2)Homeowners

3) LANDLORDS who are mom and pop owners (DH and I fall into this group).

ONE IN THREE. Think about that. Think about what that means on home prices. Think about what that means regarding foreclosures and banks. Think about what that means regarding interest rates. Think about the devastation for 1/3 of the population who will LOSE the dwelling they live in/own.

Big deal, folks. HUGE.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced an eviction moratorium that would start Friday, Sept. 4, and expire at the end of the year.

“Our Justices of Peace now are waiting on information from the Texas Supreme Court, who stopped us from doing evictions,” said Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff. “So we’re trying to make sure we handled that right. They need to remember that they can stop the eviction, but they need to hold the rent, and at some point in time, they’ll need to pay that.” The city and county are both offering aid for those unable to pay rent.

Contributor

In MD 30 days is standard.  The person moved out. So it ended well.  Where I live, rentals are a plenty (granted that you pass background check).