Trusted Contributor

Re: Question for Landlords and Tenants

@Sushismom wrote:

But how did they rent another place without any income? 

@Sushismom   I don't know how much money they get in gov assistance, but apparently it's enough. I don't know the current landlord's side of this story at all so I can't give a complete answer.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the answer. Just wondering why anyone would rent to a large family without income. Doesn't make much sense to me. 

I feel for the kids and the animals. None of them put themselves into this situation. 

Honored Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

Thanks for the answer. Just wondering why anyone would rent to a large family without income. Doesn't make much sense to me. 

I feel for the kids and the animals. None of them put themselves into this situation. 

Maybe they get Section 8?

Valued Contributor

@Growing     I was reading through all the replies on this post and hit yours and it stopped me in my tracks. You have no idea how much I needed to read your words this morning. 

Not gonna hijack this thread, but my family is going through a similar situation right now with my sister. She is the only sibling I have. I've made peace with the decision to detach after watching her almost die about a year ago. My Mom and Dad are still struggling, and I'm going to share your words with them. 

Thank you for posting Heart

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Respected Contributor

First let me say I feel so sorry for them.  My advise would be to find a home for the pets.  I know that is not easy as I am a pet lover and giving up my dog would almost be as bad as giving away a child.  However, tough times calls for tough decisions.  If they get rid of the pets there would probably be apartments that are subsidized and go by income they could move into until they get back on their feet.  I am sure there must be help available with all those children. 

Honored Contributor

I worry about people who lost their jobs and cannot pay rent/mortgage.  If that's what happened, they should be able to get help through the state.  

They also need to think long-term.  Defying an eviction order won't help them find another place.  It goes on their record and few landlords will want to rent to them.  

Honored Contributor

To "test" the process?  Why would they do that?  Seems they are struggling to begin with, why would they add more stress?  If hubby has been out of work for 2 years why arent they already on som type of help?  They should have contacted CSS or whatever help they have in the state where they live to get help with a new place to live.  Do they want to be arrested and the kids sent to foster care?   Sorry, but they sound very irresponsible.   

Im aware that I dont know the whole situation but "test the process" gave a whole lot of insite.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

Well our VA governor has the answer.  He is expanding financial assistance to legal aid to fight evictions with $4 million.

Great - I'm sure the lawyers need this financial assistance.  Those renters  who lost their jobs and the landlords who aren't getting paid either - not so much I guess.

And how does this work?  If the lawyers are successful in staving off the eviction - for how long?  And does that just wipe out the debt - and if so for how long?  When does rent become due again?  And what happens then?

And again, it's great we have this money in the budget to help the lawyers - since we are canceling approved teacher raises and we don't have money for extra teachers/tutors to help the children who are struggling with reading etc. etc. etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Well our VA governor has the answer.  He is expanding financial assistance to legal aid to fight evictions with $4 million.

Great - I'm sure the lawyers need this financial assistance.  Those renters  who lost their jobs and the landlords who aren't getting paid either - not so much I guess.

And how does this work?  If the lawyers are successful in staving off the eviction - for how long?  And does that just wipe out the debt - and if so for how long?  When does rent become due again?  And what happens then?

And again, it's great we have this money in the budget to help the lawyers - since we are canceling approved teacher raises and we don't have money for extra teachers/tutors to help the children who are struggling with reading etc. etc. etc.

While I feel for those who are unable to pay their rent, let's not forget the landlords.  They also have employees and bills to be paid.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

If they are receiving any type of Section 8 assistance, many landlords accept this because the money goes directly to the landlord, so it's a guarantee of being paid as it comes directly from the entity.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN