Trusted Contributor

Re: Question for Landlords and Tenants

@noodleann it's true that family has offered too much monetary assistance in the past, not just mom and me, but they survive on getting government assistance. There's also a place close by that helps low income families with animal feed, all given by donations.

Trusted Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

I'm sorry, but how did they move last year without any of them having jobs? 

@Sushismom my bro in law's brother and friend helped significantly during the move last year.

Respected Contributor

But how did they rent another place without any income? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If an eviction was filed against them, were they asked to leave already and refused so the owner filed an eviction?

In my area if you are served a 3-day notice and don't move out, it is set for a hearing and a new date is given. If that date comes and goes and you don't move, a physical put out date is issued and the Sheriff shows up.  You move or your stuff is put out.  Evictions are back going in my area.  Our firm has had a ton of hearings.

I'm very lucky when we sold our rental houses, the new owner took the leases over so no one had to move.  Even though my tenants were under a lease that expired after the date we were looking to sell, our lease had a clause in it about us selling the property during the terms of the lease.      

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My cousin works for a church charity that helps people in need, the church pays their rent, utilities, and brings them food.....In exchange the adults meet weekly with an Adviser to see how things are going and they MUST actively be seeking employment (the church even gives them leads on jobs)....  Some people take this helping hand as a stepping stone for the opportunity to improve their life for themselves and their family and become self-sufficient.... 

However, there are others that just take the "free ride and free goodies" sleep until noon and sit around watching TV and playing video games, and arent interested in finding a job and working! ...These folks are UNCEREMONIOUSLY kicked off the program and are told the church wants to help people that want to help themselves and want a better life for their family, THIS ISNT for those not willing to accept responsibility and just want a free ride!

Im all for helping those that are willing to help themselves...others need not apply.....If they cant take care of kids and pets....then something needs to be done to remove them from that environment....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

I'm not sure where all these evicted families and individuals are supposed to live. Just the fact they're being evicted and therefore can't show a good rental history is going to make finding another place difficult. Where do they go? It's happening all over the country right now.

Are we actually going to see shanty towns?

Most evictions are due to non payment.  There has been a moratorium on evictions, yet that cannot go on forever.  No matter if the rental is from an individual or a company, thatv is income someone depends on to pay bills.  They are not a charity.  This is why we need to get the economy back open, so people have a job and can pay their rent.

People have absolutely no idea what havoc is being caused on the legal system at all.  

I'm not sure how landlords are supposed to pay their bills?  When we owned rentals, we owned 2 houses.  We had a mortgage on them, water/sewer bills, insurance, property taxes, repairs.  If someone didn't pay their rent, those bills fell on us to pay.  There is no way DH and I could have afforded our own house plus the bills for 2 rental houses because the tenants weren't paying.

Whenever a tenant called with a sob story about rent or just didn't pay, I used to tell them that while I sympathized with their situation,  I wasn't running a charity, I was running a business. 

If I would't pay my mortgage, after a few months I'd be in forclosure.  Not sure why some tenants think they can go months without paying rent and not suffer consequences.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shopchickie3 wrote:

The "history" only comes up if the outstanding judgement  is recorded in the county of record.  Again the landlord may or may not  be awarded the outstanding rent but the landlord may only recover possession of the unit, that may take a little while to happen, depending on if there are emergency applications filed etc. 

A tenant is not branded for life as a criminal because of this type of issue. 

A tenant may be awarded the additional reasonable time to stay for good reason but eventually they will have to vacate. 

I am neither pro tenant nor pro landlord but each side takes their chances. 

@Shopchickie3 , in my area, you can easily look someone up on the court docket and see that there was an eviction filed against them.  Most of the time, our clients don't even bother trying to get back rent because it's a lost cause.  They are happy to get the tenants out and get someone who is paying in.    

Respected Contributor

@KitTkat wrote:

@noodleann it's true that family has offered too much monetary assistance in the past, not just mom and me, but they survive on getting government assistance. There's also a place close by that helps low income families with animal feed, all given by donations.

That's sad. Not for the family, they're making out just fine, but all those people who've been floating their scene, as I put it.

In our society, money is approval. I suspect that the couple feels that as long as people are willing to shell out, their benefactors are okaying their decisions, and anyway, why work if you don't have to? I've known a few grifters in my time, and they're very persuasive, so learning to say "No, not one more dime" may be nearly as hard for those who have to do it as it will be for this couple to grow up.

Good luck, but I'd stop fretting. They're going to please themselves until the gravy train runs out.

Respected Contributor

Just wanted to mention how nice it is to see individuals sharing their knowledge with others who can use and need the information.  Such situations are overwhelming but this information is what is needed.  Hope some tidbit puts them in right direction.  

Honored Contributor

When I was a landlord, I always checked references to see if previous landlords had trouble with a tenant. I also ran a background, credit check and verified place of employment after getting burned. 

I think you've done all you can over the years for them.  It's  heartbreaking when children are involved though.