Trusted Contributor

Re: Question for Landlords and Tenants

In our town there is a whole side of a mountain that the homeless have built a tent city.  The town has provided portapotties trash dumpsters...and water.  Bus service to grocery stores and medical is provided.. we aren't a large city..just a small town in SW Colorado..we had homeless way before covid.  

I really don't know how they handle the winters.  DW

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:

So then you are willing to open your home up to someone out of work and unable to pay rent......yea I thought so.

So, I'm in charge of Covid 🤷🏼‍♀️ Who knew 😜

Dammit Tansy! Get to work, lady!!! Whatcha been doing all this time???

Tansy got some splainin to do.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

Gotta say my heart goes out to the children of this family.  

People can debate so many issues, but children are innocent and do suffer.  To anticipate potential questionable answers, yes, we do give to the poor.  I have been called a “bleeding heart” more than once.  I always reply “Thank you.”  

I think it would shock many to find out how many people are living in their cars.  

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz WA state is replete with tent cities. So are other states. I've seen stories about them on the national news. Nothing new, sadly.

Valued Contributor

I am assuming they were given 60 days notice to vacate, as an eviction can only be issued by a court.Each state has their own laws. In most states, tenants do have rights. You don’t mention if they have a lease or are a month to month tenant, which make a difference legally, as a lease determines legal aspects. I would recommend they contact the local tenants rights group or legal aid to determine their rights. It can take several months for an eviction ( depending on location/circumstances) to even occur but best case would be to consult local resources as I mentioned.

I do know in my city there is a shortage of available housing and I assume that it is the way it is elsewhere with the current Covid situation. Best of luck to your family.
Honored Contributor

@KitTkat wrote:

My sister and her family are being evicted from their rental, and although the governor has issued a no eviction order due to Covid, this one is legal because it's on the grounds that the landlord is going to sell the property.

Here's the thing. The eviction notice was set for 60 days, and that final date is Aug. 31. In the past 2 months, there have been few new rentals open in the area and most don't take pets, they have several, so they have found no where to move. They are choosing to stay where they are and "test the process". I've never rented so I don't know the process.

So my question to all renters and landlords, what's going to happen to my sister's family when the landlord learns they haven't moved? Has anyone here ever defied an eviction order? I think they're asking for trouble.

And in case anyone is going to ask, I can't take them in. I care for my mom with severe health issues in a small house with no extra bedrooms. They have 5 children ranging from 0 to 9, and my bro in law hasn't had a job in almost 2 years. Very sad situation.

@KitTkat How were they paying their rent before COVID? If they were making payments and the eviction is solely due to the sale they should have a decent rental payment history so if they find a place that will take them at last this part of the issue won't be a problem. If the have no income they won't be able to rent a new place. I think they might benefit from calling their local housing authority for help. They might also benefit from looking into local pet associations that might have a way to help them with a temporary solution for their pets

They can also put up a notice at their veteinarian's office if they are allowed to. They can ask other owners to suggest any places currently renting to pet owners. They can also contact a United Way in their area.

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

I'm not sure where all these evicted families and individuals are supposed to live. Just the fact they're being evicted and therefore can't show a good rental history is going to make finding another place difficult. Where do they go? It's happening all over the country right now.

Are we actually going to see shanty towns?

Most evictions are due to non payment.  There has been a moratorium on evictions, yet that cannot go on forever.  No matter if the rental is from an individual or a company, thatv is income someone depends on to pay bills.  They are not a charity.  This is why we need to get the economy back open, so people have a job and can pay their rent.

And Covid needs to be under more control before the economy can recover.  Seems like a no-brainer.

So then you are willing to open your home up to someone out of work and unable to pay rent......yea I thought so.

So, I'm in charge of Covid 🤷🏼‍♀️ Who knew 😜

We need to talk, @tansy . Cat Wink

Esteemed Contributor

This is a sad situation but as the saying goes, "God helps those who help themselves".  Many have offered avenues to explore and hopefully this family avails themselves of some of this good advice.  I was, up until recently, a landlord for 14 years and losing $1500 a month( plus outlay to keep place in good condition) indefinitely wouldn't have helped our ( well planned) retirement.  DH and I have discussed this very issue; we sold that rental in January of 2019 ( thank you!!!).

Respected Contributor

@KitTkat wrote:

My sister and her family are being evicted from their rental, and although the governor has issued a no eviction order due to Covid, this one is legal because it's on the grounds that the landlord is going to sell the property.

Here's the thing. The eviction notice was set for 60 days, and that final date is Aug. 31. In the past 2 months, there have been few new rentals open in the area and most don't take pets, they have several, so they have found no where to move. They are choosing to stay where they are and "test the process". I've never rented so I don't know the process.

So my question to all renters and landlords, what's going to happen to my sister's family when the landlord learns they haven't moved? Has anyone here ever defied an eviction order? I think they're asking for trouble.

And in case anyone is going to ask, I can't take them in. I care for my mom with severe health issues in a small house with no extra bedrooms. They have 5 children ranging from 0 to 9, and my bro in law hasn't had a job in almost 2 years. Very sad situation.

More info is needed to give truly helpful advice. How old is your sister and her husband? Do either or both of them receive disability or social security? Are they on Medicaid? Food Stamps in addition to WICK for the mother and younger children? 

A major question, is it a Section 8 rental? How long have they lived in this house.

Respected Contributor

This is a structurally low income family.  They require social services.  They should go to Legal Aid with their paperwork.  Then they should apply to their city housing commission for low income housing.  Our city has units up to 4 bedrooms.  Yes, they may have to get on waiting lists, but if they get in they could stay forever.

Then there is the working piece of the puzzle.  The state vocational bureau may steer them to jobs and training paid for by the state.  I hope the children are on a state health care program already.