Occasional Contributor

Re: Question for Ebay Sellers regarding returns for item damaged during shipping

Thanks for comments. I am rethinking international shipping on ebay, its a huge hassle. Insurance is a little different for overseas and there are customs forms etc to fill out before mailing. the only reason I have not refunded her $80 yet is I want to make sure she holds onto the broken item for proof to the post office, otherwise I wont get any money. I don't think I am obligated to give her any of the shipping costs back, but I plan to. its neither of our faults that it broke, but it happens.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question for Ebay Sellers regarding returns for item damaged during shipping

On 1/19/2014 coolbeans said:

Thanks for comments. I am rethinking international shipping on ebay, its a huge hassle. Insurance is a little different for overseas and there are customs forms etc to fill out before mailing. the only reason I have not refunded her $80 yet is I want to make sure she holds onto the broken item for proof to the post office, otherwise I wont get any money. I don't think I am obligated to give her any of the shipping costs back, but I plan to. its neither of our faults that it broke, but it happens.

The item is your responsibility until it's safely delivered to the recipient. That you don't see it as your fault doesn't really matter, the buyer purchased the item as described and unless she received it as it was described the responsibility to refund all that she paid is yours.

I believe your mistake was agreeing to sell a fragile item to an international buyer. It would have been more of a surprise if it had arrived in good condition. Your argument is with the shipper who owes you a refund of the shipping cost.

Respected Contributor

The caveat with buyer protection is that the seller can select "return for refund". And, unless the seller is part of Ebay's managed returns program, return shipping costs are the responsibility of the buyer.

For heavy items and for international sales, return shipping costs with online viewable proof of delivery is VERY expensive.

Of course, the right thing to do is, upon receipt of proof of damage, refund the buyer both the item cost AND the shipping cost. Yes, the seller loses out. It's part of doing business.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/19/2014 occasional rain said:
On 1/19/2014 coolbeans said:

The item is your responsibility until it's safely delivered to the recipient. That you don't see it as your fault doesn't really matter, the buyer purchased the item as described and unless she received it as it was described the responsibility to refund all that she paid is yours.

I believe your mistake was agreeing to sell a fragile item to an international buyer. It would have been more of a surprise if it had arrived in good condition. Your argument is with the shipper who owes you a refund of the shipping cost.

If they had lost the item, then yes, they would owe her the shipping costs (USPS). When an item is delivered and damaged, and that's what the insurance covers, then the shipping isn't part of the equation as they did their job. If they examine the package and packing materials and deem that it wasn't properly done in the first place, then the entire amount may be gone.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.