Valued Contributor

Question about tipping when store employees help you get things to the car

Being of a certain age I've been increasingly relying on store employees to help me load heavy purchases into the car. In the past I always offered a tip to the helper, but it was invariably refused with "We can't accept tips" or "No, a tip is not necessary." Tips have been refused by employees at the local grocery stores, Menard's, and Ace Hardware stores. 

So I stopped carrying paper bills for tips. But yesterday I was at Target and after an employee helped me load heavy bags into the car in the car pickup area he appeared to hover about expectantly as if awaiting a tip. Alas, I had no paper money or I would have tipped him. 

Is tipping expected/permitted at Target? 

I rationalized that, well, it wasn't as if he pushed that heavy cart to my car through the parking garage. I had to maneuver the car through the crowded garage to get to the pickup area. All he had to do was to push the cart out the store door. 

What do you folks do about tipping in these circumstances? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about tipping when store employees help you get things to the car

We don't have a car so I wouldn't know about this particular situation but if I did have a car and a store employee helped me with my groceries, I doubt I would give him/her anything unless he/she did something exceptional.  What else does this employee do?  I would expect helping customers would be part of the job description.

Honored Contributor

it depends on how many bags i have, how heavy they are, and the weather.

i give them anywhere from $5 - $10. i have a little secret compartment in my car that i leave change and small bills in for these circumstances.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@AuntMame  It's confusing for sure. I guess it's always a good idea to carry folding money. The other day I picked up 5 bags of mulch at Lowes and didn't have any cash to tip the guy who loaded my car. UGH! I should have gone right to the bank or ATM for cash, but I didn't think about that at the time. I feel so badly. I'm hoping someone else over-tipped. Smiley Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

I'm personally sick of all these people demanding tips. Lots of places are paying upwards of $15 an hour and the tasks are part of their jobs. I don't mind sit down restaurants with waiters because they make most of their income from tips and they are running around filling drinks, getting bread, dealing with people, taking multiple orders etc.  Everywhere you go there is a jar for tips. I was at Subway and they wanted a tip for making me a sandwich which is their job, same with Burger King. I read just today that a woman was getting a $2 ice cream cone and the clerk wanted a $1 tip just to hand it to her. As for store employees helping someone load up their car, I think it depends but I don't usually use that service. I wouldn't tip at Home Depot or Lowe's when they put something in my car. 

Respected Contributor

@AuntMame  In a situation like yours and if the person helping is polite I certainly provide a gratuity because I appreciate that kind of help.

Honored Contributor

I encountered a strange tip request last week.

I ordered flowers online and before I could move to the last page, it wanted me to add a tip. There was no button for "no tip."

Anymore, I'm not sure who to tip or not. It's gotten out of hand.

Respected Contributor

@AuntMame 

I can't say for certain, but I googled it and got:

"Yes! Target employees are allowed to accept tips, and they keep all of the tips they receive. Depending on the situation, an employee might refuse a tip offered to them, but this is a personal decision and is not limited by official Target policy"

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would tip in any situation where someone helps me put something in my car.  

Super Contributor

Not permitted at Macys