Respected Contributor

Re: Question about tipping when store employees help you get things to the car

Seems with each day, more and more people expect to be tipped for the job they're paid to do. I recently met up with delivery of an appliance from a local big box store for a friend who was working. After the delivery, I wondered if I was supposed to tip or not. When I mentioned this to my friend, she said she was glad I didn't tip because the store charged $100 for delivery! All these big stores need to start paying their employees and not expecting the consumer, who already is paying them big bucks, to pay. I remember growing up in the 50s and my mother would tip the high school boys who would take her groceries to the car $.25/bag!

Esteemed Contributor

I have no problem tipping those employees who's hourly wage is dependent on tips.  If someone goes above and beyond to help me I would consider tipping.  For those who's job includes loading heavy things into customers cars will get a sincere thank you.

Side note, I believe Target starts everyone off at a pretty high hourly rate.  To hang around looking for a tip seems like he feels entitled and taking advantage of the situation. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

I don't tip the employees.  It is rare that I ask for help instead the employees offer to help me.  I put this in the category of the employees who deliver my grocery pick up orders at Walmart or Target.  I don't tip them as their job is to put orders in my car and they are paid accordingly.

Valued Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Danky2 wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

We don't have a car so I wouldn't know about this particular situation but if I did have a car and a store employee helped me with my groceries, I doubt I would give him/her anything unless he/she did something exceptional.  What else does this employee do?  I would expect helping customers would be part of the job description.

I am curious......how do you manage without a car ?

I have lived most of my life in large cities so need for a car.  We walk everywhere and have a "dolly" to carry heavy items.  We also have the option of having items delivered.  

That is really pretty awesome.....I live in NJ, about 20 miles outside NYC,  and I would love to be able to walk everywhere ! Unfortunately there is no where around her to walk to .......  

Honored Contributor

@Danky2 wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Danky2 wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

We don't have a car so I wouldn't know about this particular situation but if I did have a car and a store employee helped me with my groceries, I doubt I would give him/her anything unless he/she did something exceptional.  What else does this employee do?  I would expect helping customers would be part of the job description.

I am curious......how do you manage without a car ?

I have lived most of my life in large cities so need for a car.  We walk everywhere and have a "dolly" to carry heavy items.  We also have the option of having items delivered.  

That is really pretty awesome.....I live in NJ, about 20 miles outside NYC,  and I would love to be able to walk everywhere ! Unfortunately there is no where around her to walk to .......  

We used to live about 20 miles outside of NYC in NJ (Hillsdale) and were able to walk to a supermarket, library, church, train, the bus to Manhattan was on our corner.  For the 'burbs it was a very convenient area.  Stayed there 20 years, wouldn't have if we had to drive everywhere.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think since Target has drive up and pick up service, I personally would not tip those employees.  Just as I don't tip the cashier's.  Tipping has gottent out of control in this country.  Everyone has their hand out but that doesn't mean I have to put money in it.  I went to a dry cleaners a few months ago and there was a tip jar on the counter.  Ridiculous.

Valued Contributor

@Midmod wrote:
To all elderly posters on this thread: it breaks my heart that you all feel you should tip thoughtful behavior.
I always look for elderly I can help in this way when I'm shopping.bi don't work in retail but I love to help someone who looks in need of help. I'll push that buggy and load those groceries for you. I'm glad to do it. I always make sure my Mom doesn't have to shop so I do it for her. When I see an a man or woman who looks like that could use help I always think of my Mom and Grandma, whom I loved/love dearly.
What if they have no children to help them? So I gladly do it because my Lord gave me a heart for it.
The fact that anyone helps to get a tip breaks my heart
If we had more people just helping for the sake of helping because helping is is a two -way blessing, our society would be a lot better off. I pray all of you will have someone put in your paths tomorrow that help just because it's a blessing to do so.
God bless each of you ❤️

You sound like a wonderful person, Midmod! I wish there were more people like you in the world. Thank you for being who you are! Heart

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Stores are required by law to provide assistance to people with disabilities which might include accompanying them around a store helping select and lift merchandise.  No tip should be expected for such service.

Once again Kachina you've made a wonderful point. The ADA angle never occurred to me, but you're right. The disabled and elderly-disabled should not be expected to pay extra for necessary help in a store, and that includes tipping. Thank you for making this point. 

Valued Contributor

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful, thoughtful replies! One can always count on the QVC gals (and guys) for sorting it out. This has given me a lot to think about. I no longer feel guilty for failing to tip the Target guy, although as it was pointed out tips to Target workers are considered acceptable. However I am going to start carrying a few folded bills for those occasions when I do want to offer a tip to those who go above and beyond. Thanks, guys! Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I'm personally sick of all these people demanding tips. Lots of places are paying upwards of $15 an hour and the tasks are part of their jobs. I don't mind sit down restaurants with waiters because they make most of their income from tips and they are running around filling drinks, getting bread, dealing with people, taking multiple orders etc.  Everywhere you go there is a jar for tips. I was at Subway and they wanted a tip for making me a sandwich which is their job, same with Burger King. I read just today that a woman was getting a $2 ice cream cone and the clerk wanted a $1 tip just to hand it to her. As for store employees helping someone load up their car, I think it depends but I don't usually use that service. I wouldn't tip at Home Depot or Lowe's when they put something in my car. 

I'm a little surprised that anyone would think that someone making $15 per hour shouldn't get a tip.