Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question about late guests

My one daughter and her family are often late (although good excuses it happens often....)............I used to wait  like another poster said about 15-20  minutes and then start serving dinner................this past year i actually told her a bit earlier then the others...it worked..............I also gave her the job of the appetizers (as everyone brings part of the celebration meal)...and told her she HAD to be here before everyone else so the appetizers could be  set up so the other guests could eat them when they arrived!!

Esteemed Contributor

@lovescatswrote:

maybe they just want to come for dessert and coffee.  Do they want to eat a full meal when they come late?

I was thinking that also......maybe they want to make it a short visit........we all have those relatives..."in and out" 

quickly....

Esteemed Contributor

@temptations fan   No question about it. Start eating when you originally planned. People that do this type of thing purposefully and routinely are showing a total disrespect for the hosts. Eat without them and I would highly consider removing them from my guest list.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

My in-laws were always 30 minutes late to everything. We started telling them the start time was 30 minutes earlier than it really was.

Esteemed Contributor

I've already told DD earlier times, but she's too smart for that!

Honored Contributor

Tell them to come an hour earlier than the actual time.        OR

Eat without them.

Esteemed Contributor

My aunt and uncle were notoriously late to every family event. I know my parents, who entertained frequently, started telling them to come two hours earlier since they were always two hours late. On the other hand, I am always on time. Friends invited us to dinner at 7pm. We arrived on time and our friends were not yet dressed or ready. They said that they assumed we’d show up at 7:30 or 8. Whaaaatttt?

Honored Contributor

@temptations fanwrote:

What do you do when certain family members consistently show up late to family dinners? Do you eat without them or wait? We have family members that always show up late for holiday dinners, they have no excuse for being late, they live five miles away and have no children to get ready they are just always late. Last Easter we waited half an hour and then ate without them, they finally showed up 90 minutes late and we were done eating the meal and getting ready for dessert. So when you tell your family we are eating at a certain time and everyone else is there but they are late What would you do?

@temptations fan

As others have said, eat without them. Clear the dishes and put the food away.

What do they say when they arrive late?

Respected Contributor

We had friends like that, showed up very late, we'd just start without them and they were a little miffed that we did.  If we were  meeting at a restaurant and had a reservation, they'd show up on time.  I wouldn't hold dinner for people who always show up late.  

Honored Contributor

If you told them the time you were eating, I would not hold dinner.

Husband's daughter would always be late at the inlaws but never at our house, she knew we would not hold dinner.