Honored Contributor

Re: Question about genetics, and hair color/type

A little O/T, but according to the scientific data & genetic info above, and from my own parents, I :

didn't inherit my mom's dominant brown eye color (but not dad's recessive hazel eyes either, as mine are green; maybe God 'pulled' the green from his, hehe)

didn't inherit my mom's dominant farsightedness (got dad's recessive nearsightedness)

didn't inherit my mom's dominant dark hair color (got dad's recessive lighter shade)

did inherit my dad's dominant wavy - not curly - hair (not mom's recessive straight hair)

did inherit my dad's dominant chin dimple

did inherit my mom's dominant fuller lips

OK, so it's: ?, father, father, father, father, mother.

Which means I'm 'Dad'! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} In partial appearance, of course. Mom gave me other stuff as far as a resemblance to her goes.

Super Contributor

On 8/13/2014 straykatz said:
On 8/13/2014 NoelSeven said:
On 8/13/2014 BaileyandBella said:

I was also reading that redheads are not always born with red hair....so it might take a while even after she is born!

I'm pretty sure I carry the recessive red gene, I was hoping for a red haired girl. Didn't get it, but she has incredibly beautiful hair. Mine is straight but she has lovely natural waves.

The first thing out of my mouth when my DD was born was "What color is her hair..please don't say red!!!"...LOL

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

My mom was a redhead so I am very partial to them. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Esteemed Contributor

My hubby & I both have brown eyes, my daughter has blue & granddaughter has hazel.

Super Contributor

You never know! I have dark brown, husband has brown, our daughter is blonde and her twin has brown hair. Go figure.. Ha!

Honored Contributor

DH, older son, and I have light colored eyes, DS's and mine blue, DH's green. Younger son has darkest brown eyes? Have NO IDEA WHY, and don't bother to call Maury!
Super Contributor

Can someone have freckles and not be a redhead?

Do all redheads have freckles?

Super Contributor

I have blue eyes, but they are a darker blah color......LOL. I wish they were blue like the Caribbean ocean.

Super Contributor

On 8/14/2014 BaileyandBella said:

Can someone have freckles and not be a redhead?

Do all redheads have freckles?

As a child, I had freckles and was not a red head.

Super Contributor

Very interesting thread!!

My Mom = blue eyes, brown straight hair

My Dad = blue eyes, brown straight hair (but VERY blond as a child)

Me = blue eyes, blonde hair - stick straight as a kid, but after menopause I got some weird waves. Also inherited my parents' thick thick hair and their widow's peaks!!

My DH - brown eyes, brown hair

DS - blue eyes blonde hair

Interestingly, both DH and I are right handed but DS is lefty - not sure where that came from!!

Respected Contributor

Heck with the hair color lol..you will LOVE being a grandmother!!

I have two..ages 2 years3 months and the other 7 months. You find yourself a totally different person with these little ones.

Things you wouldn't even think of allowing in your house..goes out the door with grandkids.

I was strict - no eating in the house..no shoes in the house..toys put away etc.

My house which used to be at one time not a dust ball or fingerprint..and decorated to the max..is now 'grandkid central..' lol..part of my living room has a nice wooden toy box with shelves..my gorgeous TV stand..behind the glass doors used to be nice decorative items..beautiful..now you will find Barney, Blues Clues, Dora etc..DVDs! A large bouncy horse in front of the sliding door..I could go on and on..

Just making the point once a grandparent you turn LAX LOL!!

ENJOY