Honored Contributor

Re: Question about being in a Catholic church service

Some don't kneel, and they do stand with the others.  Others only  sit (don't stand or kneel).  Most (I'd say all) parishioners don't look around at what the others are doing, according to my observations here, so just sitting and observing is fine, imo.  Sending our condolences to the family and friends. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

A deceased friend will be having a memorial mass tomorrow in a Catholic church. I am not Catholic. I was wondering if it is ok to not participate in the kneeling and genuflecting and just sit as an observor, or should I stand and kneel when others stand so as to not look out of place.

you can just sit.............the knelling is not mandatory, especially for a non Catholic..................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Trusted Contributor

I'm  Catholic and sit on the edge of the pew instead of kneeling, stand usually when everyone else does.  At least we are there...no sweat.  I think others don't really pay attention or care.

Respected Contributor

The nun was only partially correct: you can go up to receive a blessing from the priest. You cross your arms in an X over your chest.

25% of my students are not RC.

Respected Contributor

They give communion at funerals?  

Respected Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

Yes, it's given during mass.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

A "funeral" conducted in a Roman Catholic Church is typically a Mass. Communion (Eucharist) is an integral part of every Mass.

A Catholic "service" may be held in a funeral home.

I've been a Catholic for 65+ years, and I've never heard of a "closed Communion".

Respected Contributor

I stand when others stand, but I do not kneel, genuflect, or make the sign of the cross.  Those are things we didn't do in my church and I would feel "phony".  I recite the Apostles' Creed and Lord's Prayer because those are things I grew up doing (having to remember to change/omit words).  We never did the shaking hands with those around you (sorry if there's a proper term), but I freely do that.  So, like others have said, you do as much or as little as you are comfortable doing.

Respected Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

Yes, it's given during mass.

Odd.  I've never been to Catholic anything.  I think it's weird to ostracize people from part of the ceremony.

Respected Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

yes..............because in the Catholic faith, the "funeral" is a mass for the dead....Requiem Mass.............to recieve communion in the Catholic faith you have to have at least made your first confession...................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo