Honored Contributor

Re: Question about being in a Catholic church service

@IamMrsG wrote:

"Closed communion"   A contradiction in terms, to me. 

No, the reason in my church is that the last supper was celebrated with those in Jesus' close community of believers.  It is a solemn and sacred gathering, and is served and observed by those of the faith and that family--an admonition of do this in remembrance of Jesus and of the bond shared by those of the faith.  Some faiths see it as a symbolic act, some actually believe the wine and bread are transformed into the blood and body of Jesus.  Some are so restrictive that they allow members of that congregation, but not of other congregations in the same denomination.  To each their own.

Honored Contributor

The proper etiquette in this situation is to sit in your seat during prayers or stand when appropriate. The catholic church does not offer communion to non catholics, so stay in your seat for communition.I always participate in the prayers etc of the communition service though.

Respected Contributor

Depending on the church it might not even be an issue. The Catholic church I used to go to had only chairs, it was a progressive Catholic church, very accomadating in the accepting of divorcees, LGBTQ and all were welcome to take communiun. They had lots of events where everyone was welcomed.

The church where I go to now is VERY traditional! Kneeling, stand up, sit down, no arms out stretched for the Our Father. No open confetion{I prefer that} Only communion for Catholics only.

Do what you feel comfortable with. Your paying your respects and the family will appreciate that you came.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

I am not interested in derailing BaileySue's topic, so will stop after this.  I just want to insert that Communion is a Sacrament in any faith that observes it, and, imho, should not be denied anyone. 

Yes, but receiving Communion differs among Protestants and Catholics. Many Protestants believe the Host is the representation of the body of Christ; Catholics believe it is the body of Christ.

Going up on the Communion line to receive the priest's blessing with arms crossed as you approach is perfectly acceptable if you are not Catholic.

Children under the age of 7; frequently go up on the Communion line to receive the priest's blessing with their parents in tow.

@JustJazzmom is absolutely correct! I was raised and am a practicing Roman Catholic. Non Roman Catholics should not partake in communion. The priest announced this before communion at my son's wedding mass so there would not be any confusion.

As far as mass, it's fine if you don't kneel or stand. I can no longer kneel due to my bad knees. I do participate in everything else.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Trusted Contributor

I'm Catholic. I don't kneel because I have arthritis in my knees. It's painful and I might not be able to straighten my knees afterwards.  

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

I'm Catholic.

I would say sit during the kneeling. 

But you might want to stand when the others do.  In my view, it might be more awkward to be sitting when others all around you are standing.

Just my opinion.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG

In the front of a Catholic missal that contains an imprimatur by an overseeing archdiocese, cardinal/bishop there are suggestions for worship for non-Catholics within the structure of the celebration of the Eucharist

I wrote directly what comes from the missal since I have one in my home to prepare Religion lessons for 7th graders in a parochial school.

I absolutely respect other faiths restrictions to me if not a member, baptised or observant, of their beliefs.

In this case 1 size doesnt fit all.

That said, we are all brothers and sisters under God, Our Heavenly Father.  Hence,  my faith is ecumenical.

Honored Contributor

If I was visiting a Catholic Church for a funeral or whatever , I wouldn't want to take Communion. I do that in my Church the first Sunday of every month.

Respected Contributor

I am Catholic, my husband is not, but attends Mass with me every week.  You do not need to genuflect or make the sign of the cross when entering or exiting the pew.  I would sit and stand accordingly with the others in the church and participate in the prayers and responses.  You are welcome to kneel during the Litrugy of the Eucharist, but it's also fine to sit.  The priest may or may not instruct non-Catholics to not receive communion.  You can go up with the others during communion though, with your arms crossed in an X over your chest, and the priest will bless you, he'll know not to give you communion.  So very sorry for your loss.

Frequent Contributor

I'm Catholic I don't attend much though but you can do whatever feels the best to you.it doesn't matter. You can't do communion though.