Honored Contributor

Re: Question about being in a Catholic church service

@Ms X wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

Follow the group. Though there are those that don't kneel, I have seen them stand and sit when everyone else does. You don't have to say the prayers, you don't have to shake hands, you don't have to take the Sacraments, you don't have to bless yourself or genuflect but to sit there throughout.... kinda rude.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. 

This is good advice.  You don't have to fully participate, but it is a sign of respect to participate to some degree rather than just sit there throughout the Christian, Muslim, or Jewish service.  It shows respect.

It's not always possible to do this unless you know someone of the religion you can ask. I was pleased when visiting the website of a large Sikh temple not too far from me. They know "tourist" non-believers will be visiting, so on the website they answer FAQs about dress, demeanor and custom so people will know before they go.

I know I'll need a head covering, and I know that at a certain point when entering the building where worship takes place, I will need to take off my shoes. It's painful for me to walk barefoot, but under these circumstances I would do it as long as I'm able so as not to offend.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Although not Catholic, I am a devout Christian.  My in-laws have always known this.

While attending a Catholic service where Communion was being observed, I approached the end of pew.   My SIL, a nun, stopped me before I could step out into the aisle and whispered that I, a NON-Catholic, could not partake. 

@geegerbee   As any Christian, I would kneel in prayer at the memorial mass.  We do not cross ourselves in my faith, so would not tomorrow.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

When I am at a Catholic Church for a funeral service I usually kneel when everyone else goes. I don't cross myself as we don't do that in my church, however I do say the Lords Prayer and mumble the last part that Catholics don't say.

Honored Contributor

As a non-Catholic of course I don't participate in the communion, or feel expected to kneel or say what they are saying.  I sit, and always stand when everyone stands as is common in my church and most others. 

I respect their religion very much, as I expect them to respect my beliefs.  I have never had anyone make me feel uncomfortable.

Many churches in my faith practics closed communion--which means it is for the congregation only.

I don't see a big deal here. 

Respected Contributor

"Closed communion"   A contradiction in terms, to me. 

Respected Contributor

The Catholic faith is ecumenical and inclusive, but requests that non-Catholics not receive Communion (a sacrament for us) but go up to the priest or minister for a blessing.

Respected Contributor

I am not interested in derailing BaileySue's topic, so will stop after this.  I just want to insert that Communion is a Sacrament in any faith that observes it, and, imho, should not be denied anyone. 

Honored Contributor

@sparklestar wrote:

I would follow the other if for anything out of respect.  Unless, of course, you are offended by participating in which case why would you attend at all.

Wow.

Maybe we need to go to another service or 2 

to REALLY understand the message of what our

spiritual leaders are saying 'cuz obviously, church is just

a social gathering for you. 

"Whish!!!"

That's "religion" going over your head.

Go back to church.

Learn something.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

Follow the group. Though there are those that don't kneel, I have seen them stand and sit when everyone else does. You don't have to say the prayers, you don't have to shake hands, you don't have to take the Sacraments, you don't have to bless yourself or genuflect but to sit there throughout.... kinda rude.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. 

This is good advice.  You don't have to fully participate, but it is a sign of respect to participate to some degree rather than just sit there throughout the Christian, Muslim, or Jewish service.  It shows respect.

It's not always possible to do this unless you know someone of the religion you can ask. I was pleased when visiting the website of a large Sikh temple not too far from me. They know "tourist" non-believers will be visiting, so on the website they answer FAQs about dress, demeanor and custom so people will know before they go.

I know I'll need a head covering, and I know that at a certain point when entering the building where worship takes place, I will need to take off my shoes. It's painful for me to walk barefoot, but under these circumstances I would do it as long as I'm able so as not to offend.

Exactly, @Moonchilde.  I would also ask ahead of time if I could so as to know what I might do to show respect and blend in.  Your post above about nodding your head or some such gesture is exactly what I'm talking about.  It is the perfect thing to do in those situations. 

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

I am not interested in derailing BaileySue's topic, so will stop after this.  I just want to insert that Communion is a Sacrament in any faith that observes it, and, imho, should not be denied anyone. 

Yes, but receiving Communion differs among Protestants and Catholics. Many Protestants believe the Host is the representation of the body of Christ; Catholics believe it is the body of Christ.

Going up on the Communion line to receive the priest's blessing with arms crossed as you approach is perfectly acceptable if you are not Catholic.

Children under the age of 7; frequently go up on the Communion line to receive the priest's blessing with their parents in tow.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼