Respected Contributor

Re: Question about being in a Catholic church service

You should do what you're comfortable with.  

If I attended services at another church, I would only do what I was comfortable with 

Many Catholics cannot kneel or stand for very long.  No one looks down upon them.   

Respected Contributor

Stand when the others stand but as a non Catholic, you shouldn't pretend to participate in ritual and sacraments.  That would be disrespectful.

Esteemed Contributor

Out of respect for the deceased & the family of the deceased I would kneel, sit & stand when the others do ... just do not receive communion .... I am a Catholic &  I have been to many Jewish ceremonies .. I follow what the others are doing & feel good that I respected my Jewish friends.

Honored Contributor

@RazorSharp wrote:

There are plenty of good Catholics who don't kneel during mass, because of bad knees or other health problems.  No one will judge you or give you dirty looks for not kneeling.  If they do, they are in the wrong place.

Thanks for your reply, @RazorSharp.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I am Catholic and people are not sitting in the pews 'judging' others who are not in sync with the kneelers or standees. 

Many people due to physical ailments -- arthritis or recent knee surgery cannot kneel for long periods-- the Offertory part of the Mass is one example of extended kneeling as is waiting and after receiving Communion where you kneel before and after going to Communion. 

Traditionally people may resume sitting when the priest shuts the Tabernacle door that houses the unused or consecrated Hosts/wafers.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I know the OP did not address this, nor does the thread specifically, but what about people who *cannot* kneel, i.e. it would be extremely painful for them to do so and to get back up. I'm sure there are many, Catholics and non-Catholics who attend services, for whom this is the case. Often people do not physically appear unable; do others judge those who do not kneel? You wouldn't necessarily know if they were Catholic or not - they might well be, but simply unable to kneel.

That is an excellent point, @Moonchilde.  As a lapsed Catholic, I would suggest that people put their hands in the prayer position or make the sign of the cross when others kneel.  It would be an alternative way for them to participate without causing pain to themselves.

As for OP, I must admit that I would feel offended if someone just sat there.  However, if that would be a betrayal to your own religion, it is understandable that you would not wish to participate.  Is there some common sign between Catholics and your religion that you could use as a way of participating but not participating as a Catholic?  Perhaps putting your hands together in the sign of prayer while others are kneeling would be a nice way of joining in?  I am a lapsed Catholic since I had my confirmation, but it never really leaves you.

Honored Contributor

This is 2016, no longer 1950.

We live in a diverse country that recognizes we are not all the same and that most of us have friends and relatives of different faiths or who are agnostic/atheist.

I would hope most people in the pews recognize that and are welcoming of others.

I would suggest being respectful of the faithful there and not feeling you must participate if it is not your normal practice.

Honored Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

I know the OP did not address this, nor does the thread specifically, but what about people who *cannot* kneel, i.e. it would be extremely painful for them to do so and to get back up. I'm sure there are many, Catholics and non-Catholics who attend services, for whom this is the case. Often people do not physically appear unable; do others judge those who do not kneel? You wouldn't necessarily know if they were Catholic or not - they might well be, but simply unable to kneel.

That is an excellent point, @Moonchilde.  As a lapsed Catholic, I would suggest that people put their hands in the prayer position or make the sign of the cross when others kneel.  It would be an alternative way for them to participate without causing pain to themselves.

As for OP, I must admit that I would feel offended if someone just sat there.  However, if that would be a betrayal to your own religion, it is understandable that you would not wish to participate.  Is there some common sign between Catholics and your religion that you could use as a way of participating but not participating as a Catholic?  Perhaps putting your hands together in the sign of prayer while others are kneeling would be a nice way of joining in?  I am a lapsed Catholic since I had my confirmation, but it never really leaves you.

@Ms X

We don't ask those who are not Christian to make the sign of the cross.  It most certainly would cause pain to some people.

Atheists and Agnostics should not be expected to look like they are praying when in fact they do not pray.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

This is 2016, no longer 1950.

We live in a diverse country that recognizes we are not all the same and that most of us have friends and relatives of different faiths or who are agnostic/atheist.

I would hope most people in the pews recognize that and are welcoming of others.

I would suggest being respectful of the faithful there and not feeling you must participate if it is not your normal practice.

Well, @Noel7, let's say I went to a Protestant service in a black congregation where they sang that fabulous gospel music that I love so much.  I would want to have a way of joining in rather than just sitting there.  If there is a common sign between your religion and theirs, I think it would be a way of having some common ground without feeling you were betraying your own religious beliefs.

Honored Contributor

I would not worry about it.

You are there, for the friend you just lost.

My condolences.