Respected Contributor

Question about Estate property

Unfortunately, I have written about my late father-in-law's estate before! No, it is nowhere near settled due to one person. It is going to court for a second time.

My one brother-in-law keeps insisting that if he and one other brother were to buy the house, he expects a "selling discount." What is that?? Well, it is deducting the cost of a real estate commission, but there would be no realtor. The sale would just be among the 4 of them, with 2 as sellers and 2 as buyers. They got a professional appraisal (which he won't honor, despite signing an agreement to be bound by it), and he wants to deduct the amount that would have gone to a realtor.

My husband and other brother (as the sellers) said no, that the binding agreement was to determine the value of the property by a certified independent appraiser, and that would be the buying/selling price. This was to avoid the very haggling/negotiating, etc.

He is fixated about this, and has forced this into court again. So, well over a year later, it isn't settled. The house HAS to go on the market now (which was asked for in Oct. 2011), and he JUST notified the tenants they have to move out.

Has anyone ever heard this insistence on a "selling discount?"

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.confused1}