Honored Contributor

Re: Question about Baby Shower

My daughter-in-law had her's last July and sweet Gwen was born six weeks later.  We played two different games and had a ball.  Some showers do nothing but play games.  Two were perfect.  Not to mention the food while we played.   Just do what she wants and have a ball.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

i like having a couple of games at baby showers.....everyone seems to enjoy them and no one is forced to participate. there was a game where everyone had a list of animals and then you had to put the name of the baby animal next to it......some of them were hard! whoever had the most correct won the prize.

i like when the mom to be is registered at places like babies r us or burlington coat factory. it makes it so much easier to buy when you know what they want or need.

the last one i went to someone had set up a diaper station. everyone was to take a diaper and write some well wishes or something funny for the baby on the diaper.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

A new baby in the family!  How exciting for you!  I have 5 grands, but it doesn't get old!  At the age where life seems to fly by at sonic speed, nothing seems to take FOREVER like waiting for a grandbaby!

I've been to quite a few showers and some do games, and some don't.  I think a lot depends on the age of most of the guests.  If the majority are young, I'd suggest a few games otherwise they all sit there with their phones in their laps hoping someone will text them.  "Small talk and party conversation" has become a lost art.   Anyway, it is a good way to break the ice and provide some door prizes.

You didn't ask, but I don't think baby or wedding showers should be hosted by the grandmothers.  It looks like a tacky gift grab.  If you want to pay the tab for the party, that's fine, but keep that to yourself.  Find a relative or friend to host the party for you.  Some showers I've been to are held at a restaurant's private room, and you provide the cake.  It feels special but nobody has to do the work, and games aren't needed!

Respected Contributor

Yes, her best friend is hosting it with me. She lives in NY so it makes things a little more difficult. She comes home often though. It is my first biological grandchild. I have two step- grandsons that I love to death. She is going to register at Babys R Us to avoid duplicates. I was thinking December also, but it's such a busy time for everyone. We are thinking of renting a room at a restaurant, so probably should book it soon because of all the Christmas parties that will be coming up. Thanks for your advice.

Respected Contributor

I will google baby shower games, we were thinking of doing a gift basket and have the girls drop their names into a basket when they arrives. I will see what's on google. Thanks for the idea.

Esteemed Contributor

@Libbylady wrote:

A new baby in the family!  How exciting for you!  I have 5 grands, but it doesn't get old!  At the age where life seems to fly by at sonic speed, nothing seems to take FOREVER like waiting for a grandbaby!

I've been to quite a few showers and some do games, and some don't.  I think a lot depends on the age of most of the guests.  If the majority are young, I'd suggest a few games otherwise they all sit there with their phones in their laps hoping someone will text them.  "Small talk and party conversation" has become a lost art.   Anyway, it is a good way to break the ice and provide some door prizes.

You didn't ask, but I don't think baby or wedding showers should be hosted by the grandmothers.  It looks like a tacky gift grab.  If you want to pay the tab for the party, that's fine, but keep that to yourself.  Find a relative or friend to host the party for you.  Some showers I've been to are held at a restaurant's private room, and you provide the cake.  It feels special but nobody has to do the work, and games aren't needed!

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

To be honest, all showers and birthday parties are gift grabs. Just a joyous ocassion to have a party and welome a new life or spouse or another year !

I don't think it really matters who hosts a shower nowadays . It may be that a parent or grandparent or close relative has enough space to accomodate everyone comfortably.

Honored Contributor

My mom hosted my baby shower.  It was a great party.  She loved planning and throwing it.  I don't see anything wrong with that.

Baby Showers are held one or two months before the baby's arrival. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I was pregnant over 35 years ago, my mom, grandmother, and aunt thought exactly as Staciesmom's mother, in that this is the way things have always been done, and this is the way we/you are going to do it.  Well, they were wrong, because I refused to have a shower for either of my babies, period!   My husband and I had been married several years, we had very little debt, and I was able to be a stay at home mom.  We are also very basic, conservative people, and remained that way as far as buying for our babies.  I didn't buy a diaper bag, and never owned a stroller!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always go to Emily Post for manners questions.  Here is what is proper to do, and I quote...

Timing the Party

SL_babyshowerwhen_WOIn an effort to beat the clock, showers are usually given four to six weeks before the baby's due date. Parents who receive gifts in advance of the birth have the advantage of knowing what additional items they'll need to buy or borrow. However, showers can also wait until a few weeks after the birth. In fact, some expectant couples prefer to defer receiving gifts until after the baby's arrival.

Invitations

Invitations are sent out three weeks before the shower. Store-bought  fill-ins come in a wide variety of designs and are widely available, as are invitations that can be designed online or on your computer. However creative your invitation, don't forget the essentials: the mother's (or parents') names(s), the shower's date, time and location, and a request to RSVP. Gift information is never listed on the invitation itself., but it's fine to mention "The nursery is blue and green," or, "Jenna's expecting a girl." The host should be prepared to give gift suggestions and nowadays it's acceptable to include baby registry information on a separate enclosure.

As far as who gives the baby shower, I was surprised at her answer... again I quote...

Baby Showers: Who Hosts?

SL_babyshowerwho_WOTraditionally, close friends, cousins, aunts, sisters-in-law, or coworkers of the mother-to-be hosted baby showers. Because gifts are central to showers, hosting by a member of the honoree's (or husband's) immediate family appear self-serving.

Honored Contributor

I attended a baby shower in May for a family member.  Mom was due in July.  They played several games but they were games you did before the shower started, like a word jumble and other stuff like that.  When the shower began, the first thing they did was run through the answers to the questions for the games and then it was done.

Then it was food, opening gifts and leave.  LOL